View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

90% of the time when you have this type of intermittent problem, it is a loose connection. Usually an insufficient ground connection. It could be corrosion at one or more of the ground connections or a loose connection on one of them or paint between the lug and the connecting point insulating the connection from the chassis. Any one of the connections may be the culprit if you aren't getting a good ground connection to the starter. An easy test would be to run a heavy piece of cable from the ground side of the battery to the connection the starter uses to ground to the chassis. If you don't have a chassis ground directly to the starter, add one by putting a ground strap from one of the starter mounting bolts to the chassis. Then also connect the ground cable from the battery directly to this same connection point. If your power connections are good and tight everywhere, this should take care of the problem. If it doesn't, you will need to trace back the power cable to see if there is any loose or corroded connections between the battery connection and the fuse box.
Years ago, I had this problem and it turned out to be corrosion had gotten into the positive lead on the battery under the cable sheath where I couldn't see it until I stripped it back. Replaced the cable and all was well.

Bob