View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Yep - those c-clip pliers look like they will work too.

Came across a few more interesting things. My parts guy suggested checking the shift forks for wear. He said they should not have more than about 20/1000 clearance in the slider groove. Mine were worn pretty unevenly and has as much as 50/1000 clearance so looks like I will replace those.

He thought the gears looked OK, some wear. He thought they should continue to work fine but suggested I might want to update the synchronizer/slider assemblies since the new ones are all torque-lock type.

And I have one odd-ball detent in my shift rail assembly. I came up with one hatchet or tent shaped end detent. I should have either two, none or all hatchet end. So I may have to hunt up one or two of them.

And I think I figured out why all of my shift arm shafts were leaking to various degrees. I ran some 600 sandpaper on a dowel rod through them a few times and then examined the bores with a light behind them. They all had some random deposits on the bore walls - kind of like crusty grease or something. I tried scrapping them with a small screwdriver and they scraped off. So I got my gun cleaning equipment out and found a 20 gauge brass brush fit snugly in the bores and I bore scrubbed them with bore cleaner. That took the hard deposits right off and left them nice and clean. That worked well enough and I took a 30 cal brush to the detent shafts and a 12 gauge brush to the reverse idler shaft and left them all nice and clean.

Last edited by DanEC; 04-25-2018 at 03:24 PM..