Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   429/460 Engine Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/)
-   -   429 crak shaft damper single groove (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/133759-429-crak-shaft-damper-single-groove.html)

justushdw 06-20-2015 01:15 PM

429 crak shaft damper single groove

I hope I got this right. I'm a rookie at this.

I was running my car and heard a clang on the road way and temp guage started to go up when I stopped I saw that the fan belt was gone and the pulley on the crankshaft was missing. I pulled the damper of and the markings on it are C3AEorZ 6316a. Is this a good part number or what can I get as a replacement. All help is appreciated

Thanks Joe

cycleguy55 06-20-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justushdw (Post 1353107)
I hope I got this right. I'm a rookie at this.

I was running my car and heard a clang on the road way and temp guage started to go up when I stopped I saw that the fan belt was gone and the pulley on the crankshaft was missing. I pulled the damper of and the markings on it are C3AEorZ 6316a. Is this a good part number or what can I get as a replacement. All help is appreciated

Thanks Joe

C3 doesn't make sense for a 429, as 'C3' in Ford's numbering indicates 1963, and the 385 series didn't make an appearance until 1968. Could that be C8AE or C8AZ?

BTW, search results for C8AE-6316 turn up references to 428 CID engines in Mustangs - not 429 (which didn't show up in Mustangs until 1969). Certainly the 6316 references Mustang (63 = 2-Door Hardtop Mustang Fastback) (How to Decipher FoMoCo Part Numbers - Overview - FORDification.com).

All of which begs the question: Is this a 385 or an FE engine?

Jac Mac 06-20-2015 06:13 PM

The C8AE 6316a damper is from a 428 cobra jet, should be 7" in dia, SCJ is 7.5" dia and C8AE 6316c p/n, I have used these on both FE & 385 series engines before. But it sounds like your looking for a single groove pulley, was it three or four bolt? A better pic of motor would help ID, looks like a 429/460 on your current pics. Is pan rail flat all way round , if so its FE as 429/460 have 1/2 round seals front and rear.

Tim Brewer 06-20-2015 07:34 PM

Got any pics?

justushdw 06-21-2015 07:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are pics of the balancer if that helps.

Paul Kane 06-21-2015 10:47 AM

It appears you've lost the outer ring of your harmonic balancer and have only the inner hub remaining.

Thus far it looks like a common FE-type harmonic balancer that was used on FE engines for over a decade. You could go several different ways with a replacement (OEM, aftermarket, etc). If an identical OEM replacement is what you're after, try giving Damper Dudes a call. On their website I see a couple of different single-groove C3AE harmonic balancers (one with timing marks, one with timing button, etc). A link to their website is below:

DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)

justushdw 06-25-2015 04:48 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Got one from a place called green sales in Ohio.