Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   429/460 Engine Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/)
-   -   Cobra 460 valve covers (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/45959-cobra-460-valve-covers.html)

Blaine Sellie 10-04-2003 09:37 AM

Cobra 460 valve covers

I am looking to replace my valve covers (4" Ford Motorsports) with the Cobra 460 variety. I have roller rockers and the Tony Brandas require a spacer to clear.

Is there another Cobra 460 valve cover that does not require a spacer?

Branda wanted $235 + $109 for the spacers.

Blaine

Mohuska 10-04-2003 02:50 PM

460 Valve Covers

Try Blue Thunder....they advertise several different types.

Blaine Sellie 10-04-2003 08:32 PM

I thought the Brandas were made by Blue Thunder and would also require a spacer for roller rockers.

Anyone?

Blaine

Mohuska 10-05-2003 02:46 PM

Another suggestion

After watching HP TV this morning..I had an idea. On the show, they sent valve covers to Advanced Plating in Tennessee. Advanced Plating engraved very nicely the 572 for the motor on the valve cover and then plated them.

Just a thought....

Blaine Sellie 10-05-2003 06:42 PM

I have hood clearance issues with the 4" tall valve covers that I currently have. Otherwise, great ideas.

Blaine

Mohuska 10-05-2003 09:48 PM

??

Don't you need the tall valve covers to allow adequate rocker clearance?

What car do you have that you have clearance problems with the 4" tall covers??

RobMcQuarie 10-06-2003 11:20 PM

460 Valve covers

Blaine,
A 460 valve cover shorter than 4" is a tall order. We stock all the Blue Thunder valve covers, so I grabbed a ruler and they are 3.5" at the top of the ribs already, without the spacer. I will be finishing up a customer's 530 stroker in the next few days, and I'll see if there is any way to mount the "Cobra" valve covers, with the roller rockers, without spacers. I've had to do it with the small block stuff for customers, and have come up with a few ideas. I'll let you know what I find toward the end of the week.

BTW-there are two versions of the valve cover spacers available-with and without an O-Ring. I recommend the O-ring version for a few dollars more. Much more effective as they seal against the head w/lock down studs.

We do have an all new, smooth cast, aluminum valve cover for the 460 that is awsome looking, but it is 5-1/2" tall, so is just barely shorter than the SVO die cast covers.
Rob

Blaine Sellie 10-07-2003 08:37 PM

Thanks Rob. I am interested to see if the spacer in needed. Please let me know what you find out.

Blaine

Dior55 10-12-2003 05:09 AM

http://a0.cpimg.com/image/D2/7A/1588...-028001E0-.jpg

I have used the Tony Branda valve covers on my BB crate, with roller rockers. No spacer needed. Actually sold my old FMS valve covers (used) for MORE than I paid for the Brandas. No problems with them for last 5000 miles!

Blaine Sellie 10-12-2003 09:06 AM

Looks very nice. Great to hear that no spacer was needed. Do you have the 486hp crate or the 535hp. I think the lift duration is different in these.

Thanks,

Blaine

Dior55 10-13-2003 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Blaine Sellie

Looks very nice. Great to hear that no spacer was needed. Do you have the 486hp crate or the 535hp. I think the lift duration is different in these.

Thanks,

Blaine

535 hp. I would assume this one would have higher lift (I don't think duration would matter as much as lift for clearance issues) than the 486.

RobMcQuarie 10-16-2003 04:01 AM

Valve Cover to Rocker clearance

Blain,
I don't have positive news for you. The 530 we are building is using the Edelbrock heads which have stock valve cover rails. We were using the Crane Gold race roller rockers and at full lift (.650), they lifted the valve covers off the block and gasket about 1/16-3/8". So, they would need a double thick gasket to clear. Unlike the small blocks which have these available, I am not aware of any for the 460's. You would have to glue a pair of std gaskets together, and use valve cover studs. This can be done, but the gaskets do not hold up as long as stock ones(they tend to seep more) - not much of an issue on a typical Cobra as they don't see thousands of miles a year.

The rockers only hit the baffle at each end of the head. The baffle really should not be modified, as it is already designed to fit very tightly against the inside of the cover, and removal would result in a valve cover that is always leaking oil out the oil fill/breather holes. On our engine, we had already planned on using the spacers and didn't have a problem, but they will put you well over your 4" max height.

Now, one other question is which heads you are running. The Blue Thunder 460 heads are designed with 3/8" taller valve cover rails, which would allow for the clearance needed, while the other stock and aftermarket heads are std height and too short.

Hope I have helped a little. Let me know if you have some more questions.
Rob

Blaine Sellie 10-16-2003 05:20 PM

Rob,

Thanks for the additional follow up. I am using stock DOVE-C heads that have been ported and polished. They have also been upgraded with the screw-in rocker studs. It sounds as though I will have to buy the spacers or try the double gasket.

I ordered the covers through Branda as Dior 55 did and hoped to have the same success as he had.

Thanks again,

Blaine