Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   429/460 Engine Talk (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/)
-   -   battery no juice to start after hot (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/429-460-engine-talk/95751-battery-no-juice-start-after-hot.html)

maxum_101 03-24-2009 03:23 PM

battery no juice to start after hot

ok strange problem here.. car starts fine when cold, let it warm up and all and runs great, but when i shut off the car and go to restart it its like the battery is dead, it makes the click ,click,click sound as if the battery is dead, but if i go back to it in the morning it starts just fine again. what gives, had the battery checked and it turns out fine, engine is a 460 crate engine carb set up, no choke. any one know where i can look to reslove this. could it be a battery issue, starter issue?

any insight would be great.

thanks

1985 CCX 03-24-2009 03:31 PM

I had the same problem a few years ago. When the motor gets hot your comp increases as things expand. Takes more cranking amps, or in essence a new battery. When batteries age they don't perform like a new one especially in cars that sit.

I bought a new battery and have no issues for several years now.

RedBarchetta 03-24-2009 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 933473)
I had the same problem a few years ago. When the motor gets hot your comp increases as things expand. Takes more cranking amps, or in essence a new battery. When batteries age they don't perform like a new one especially in cars that sit.

I bought a new battery and have no issues for several years now.

+2. But first check all of your ground connections. CLEAN THEM well, too.

-Dean

bobcowan 03-24-2009 08:17 PM

Usually caused by not enough amps getting to the starter. Could be lots of reasons for that - like a bad battery. First, take the battery down to Autozone and have it load tested.

Check all your cables. Make sure all the connections are tight and clean. Be sure and look under the insulation, corrosion can get in there.

What kind of cables do you have? Did you use welding cable? If so, get rid of it. Are they at least a 0 gauge? With a big block, if the battery is in the trunk, I'd use a 00 or 000 gauge.

Are you using a standard Ford starter relay? You might want to replace that.

Doug I 03-24-2009 08:23 PM

Heat getting into the starter is another cause of a hot start no start.

Bill Bess 03-24-2009 08:45 PM

1) Battery (2) starter/sol too hot (3) light weight cables and poor grounds (4) timing issues (5) check ignition switch for overloading....most likely one of these things

Bill

Rick Parker 03-24-2009 10:14 PM

Check the contact surfaces within the starter solenoind. If you are using a standard starter and a Ford type solenoid open it up and flip the contacts. Clean posts on the battery.

Rwillia4 03-24-2009 11:12 PM

click, click, click= solenoid issue, probably due to heat or bad connection to it.

Mdman352 03-25-2009 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Bess (Post 933599)
1) Battery (2) starter/sol too hot (3) light weight cables and poor grounds (4) timing issues (5) check ignition switch for overloading....most likely one of these things

Bill

I had this experience and 2 of the above listed items needed attention. the size of the battery cable and ground is critical especially if the battery is in the trunk.