17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SOHC in cobra

I have a SOHC that I have decided to put into a cobra kit. I have only seen one on line that was stuffed into an ERA. Does anyone know/contacts of a SOHC being installed into another kit? FFR? The front to back and mount to intake dimensions are not the issue. The issue is width....32". This is approximately 3.5" wider than the 5 litre DOHC crates. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

Do a search here on the forums. There is a couple SOHC's being installed in a Kirkham Cobra as we speak. A couple high end builds BUT worthy and accepting of the rarity of this engine. That said, IMHO putting a SOHC into a FFR is like putting a BBC into a Ferrari. It just doesn't make sense for too many reasons. Most SOHC motors are close to what the average price of a used FFR is completed WITH a nice set up. The ERA's, Kirkham's, Shelby cars of the world are justifiable for this engine. Anyway you look at it you will have MORE money in the complete package and resale might be tough! But if that's what you want... With the amount of mods needed to make this motor fit it would only make sense to do it right the first time. It's a neat piece but it' exclusiveness also makes it exclusive into what it fits and belongs in. Just my two cents Matt
Old 07-07-2011, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     

"BBC into a Ferrari" is a reverse analogy, but it works I guess.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Agreed. If you're gonna put that motor in a Cobra put it in something on the higher end of the replica world. Better yet, put it in a Ferrari!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ10 View Post
I have a SOHC that I have decided to put into a cobra kit. I have only seen one on line that was stuffed into an ERA. Does anyone know/contacts of a SOHC being installed into another kit? FFR? The front to back and mount to intake dimensions are not the issue. The issue is width....32". This is approximately 3.5" wider than the 5 litre DOHC crates. Thanks.
Are you talking about a mod motor here? When I read your question, I am thinking about Mr_Mustang's ERA FIA car when you say "stuffed into an ERA".....because it literally was...lol.

If this is the case, see here:

Ford Modular Engine Roadster Builds - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

- Allen.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullchat289 View Post
Are you talking about a mod motor here? When I read your question, I am thinking about Mr_Mustang's ERA FIA car when you say "stuffed into an ERA".....because it literally was...lol.

If this is the case, see here:

Ford Modular Engine Roadster Builds - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

- Allen.
It's funny, it's actually got quite a bit of room in which to work on the engine . Plus, my footbox worries were all unfounded as the tops of the footboxes and not the bottoms were where any real modifications for clearance were made

Bill S.

PS: Mine is a late model 32V DOHC......Not a 60's SOHC motor......Just thought I would clarify that for the O.P.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Look in my gallery We have done the late and the early. and installed a 671 blower on one in a cobra
Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

Hey Bill-

Your gallery is pretty impressive. Does that GT40 replica have a twin turbocharged AND supercharged motor?? If so, could you tell us about it? Pretty f'in awesome!

phil
Old 07-07-2011, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default SOHC in cobra

Thanks for all your inputs. I am leaning toward the ERA.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks to all

Last edited by PJ10; 07-07-2011 at 02:16 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
It's funny, it's actually got quite a bit of room in which to work on the engine . Plus, my footbox worries were all unfounded as the tops of the footboxes and not the bottoms were where any real modifications for clearance were made

Bill S.

PS: Mine is a late model 32V DOHC......Not a 60's SOHC motor......Just thought I would clarify that for the O.P.

The 427 SOHC is a about 32" wide. The modulars are 29" max.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Phil twin turbocharged AND supercharged dry sump and methanol injtion. twin gelmer belt drive 1700HP padel shift
Old 07-07-2011, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch building frame,FFR Mkll body ,302w, and T5 trans, 3.0 rear.
Not Ranked     

Go to Jay Leno's garage and view the cobra replica he has with a SOHC Ford engine, He also takes a ride in it for you.
1963 Mercury Monterey 460+ .060 .//Cobra clone, Scratch build frame /302/ T-5 WC / 3.00-9in/FFR mkll body (Broken but repairable) /91 Lincoln Wire Wheels // : N.S.M.C Charter/Life Member// Die Hard Blue Oval Nut

The finish is better than the beginning. Ecc7:8
Old 07-07-2011, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I have one in my Contemporary. Only the top of the foot boxes need lowered for valve cover clearence,
Old 07-07-2011, 11:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

I saw a Cobra with a 427 SOHC motor for sale in Monterey several years ago--looked awesome in there.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you plan on driving the car a lot, I would stick the engine in a FFR. Who cares? It can always be taken out and replaced with something else later. It would be a lot of work, but just messing with that engine in anything is going to be a lot of work.

FFR's are easy to fix, have a lot of parts readily available, are cheap and easy to modify, and now with the new Mk IV body, look pretty close to an original in shape. And using many Mustang parts, are easily upgradable should you thrash it a bit and blow out the rear axle. It really just depends on what you plan on doing with it.