Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Pops out of gear when down shifting 3rd to 2nd (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/111576-pops-out-gear-when-down-shifting-3rd-2nd.html)

Newsnake 07-07-2011 07:55 AM

Pops out of gear when down shifting 3rd to 2nd

2nd day in my fia, I just took a wonderful 90 mille drive to Lake Tahoe. It was fantastic, however it pops out of gear when down shifting 3rd to 2nd. I have a 4 speed top loader. I know this is part of the Cobra fun. Any suggestions or insight in what I am dealinf with would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

PatBuckley 07-07-2011 08:01 AM

First thing I would do is to make sure that it is going all the way into second....

JBCOBRA 07-07-2011 08:56 AM

When I put a new shifter boot on I got this problem. Pops out of reverse and sometimes 4th

redmt 07-07-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBCOBRA (Post 1138931)
When I put a new shifter boot on I got this problem. Pops out of reverse and sometimes 4th

Sounds like the new boot is hanging it up. Loosen or remove the boot and try it then.

JBCOBRA 07-07-2011 09:16 AM

Hi redmt!
You are totally correct about the boot. It is stiff rubber. How in the heck can I treat the boot itself?? so it limbers up.

redmt 07-07-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBCOBRA (Post 1138936)
Hi redmt!
You are totally correct about the boot. It is stiff rubber. How in the heck can I treat the boot itself?? so it limbers up.

You can take it out and beat it into submission or replace it with a different/correct boot:rolleyes:

JBCOBRA 07-07-2011 11:29 AM

LOL redmt!
It is the right boot though. looks exactly the same as the one it replaced.
I have beaten the car into submission so the frikin' boot will follow suit ;)

redmt 07-07-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBCOBRA (Post 1138955)
LOL redmt!
It is the right boot though. looks exactly the same as the one it replaced.
I have beaten the car into submission so the frikin' boot will follow suit ;)

Beat to fit, paint to hide. Worst comes to worst, blame it on the other guy There isn't anything that can't be fixed with $$ or a hammer. I might change that to my tag line!!

jhv48 07-07-2011 01:12 PM

When I had that problem, I replaced the rubber boot with a leather one. Problem solved.

Bxx1 07-07-2011 02:33 PM

.... and when I had the problem in a Tremec 3550 I had 2nd gear replaced. It works fine now. **)

Blas 07-07-2011 04:43 PM

Sometimes it's the placement of the opening in the well and the interaction of the rubber boot. I suggest removing the 4 screws and letting the boot float and the see if it still pops out of gear...If not the boot and its placement is the problem.

Newsnake 07-07-2011 06:09 PM

My car is almost two decades old, and the previous owner did not have this problem. I am guessing it's the gear. What's the fix on that?

redmt 07-07-2011 06:15 PM

2nd only? or 2nd and 4th? If it's both then look for something external. 2nd only, check for slop in the shift fork. Indications of internal problems are if it goes into gear and holds during acceleration and pops out during feathering or deceleration. Hard to say really without seeing it, just a few things to look for

Newsnake 07-07-2011 06:17 PM

On second thought I will take your advice and fiddle with the boot.
Thanks

Newsnake 07-07-2011 06:19 PM

On second thought I will take your advice and fiddle with the boot.
Thanks

Bxx1 07-08-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmt (Post 1139020)
2nd only? or 2nd and 4th? If it's both then look for something external. 2nd only, check for slop in the shift fork. Indications of internal problems are if it goes into gear and holds during acceleration and pops out during feathering or deceleration. Hard to say really without seeing it, just a few things to look for

Yeap... those were my symptoms....