Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Where to begin??? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/113988-where-begin.html)

Kenda11 01-15-2012 05:08 AM

Where to begin???

I just picked up a mid 90's Cobra replica that was a victim of a car fire. I couldnt resist. The front end and interior are toast, literally. The motor appears to be a 502 and in decent shape considering. I haven't started pulling it apart yet, so my information is limited. I do not have any experience with Cobra's or build kits for that matter. Any advice or suggestions out there?

Thanks!

olddog 01-15-2012 05:20 AM

Who was the manufacturer and are they still in business?

CHANMADD 01-15-2012 09:45 AM

Do you have some pics??

Kenda11 01-15-2012 10:36 AM

2 Attachment(s)
No idea who the manufacturer is... I can't seem to find anything obvious. Any ideas on where to look? Attached are some pics.

mreid 01-15-2012 11:00 AM

There's a thread either on here or the other forum detailing the restoration of a fire victim. They did a sterling job of bringing it back.

Is there any kind of ID plate on the footbox or firewall? Hard to tell from the pictures, maybe a Backdraft?

tcrist 01-15-2012 11:03 AM

Need more picks. Full side view, cockpit and such. Is ther a sticker on the firewall, door jamb, glovebox or anywhere else. What does the owners cert say as far as a vin number. Do not need the whole thing but the first 6 or 7 numbers/letters might help. Some of these get registered but the manufactures number/code.

bobcowan 01-15-2012 01:10 PM

First, step back and take a hard look at what you have. Decide if it should be rebuilt, or parted out.

Take a close look at the structural components: frame rails, uprights, suspension mounting points, etc. If they look burnt, scrap the frame. It's probably not cost effective to replace it all, and it's not safe to simply refinish it and go.

Dangerous Doug 01-15-2012 02:54 PM

Well, I think the first thing I would do is determine what caused the fire in the first place, and then make sure I don't do it THAT way again...

Okay, I'm being a smart-ass, but I do have a point...

Okay, so those look like lugged wheels, so that narrows it down a bit (unlikely to be Kirkham, CSX, ERA or Superformance). Let's see a picture of the frame in the engine compartment. Round tube? How is the body mounted onto the frame? If it's an FFR you should be able to get parts relatively easy.

DD

DougD 01-15-2012 05:03 PM

More pics needed

Doesn't look like a Factory 5 - no perky butt.

Detailed pics of the engine compartment, front suspension, trunk area, cockpit would help to ID it.

lovehamr 01-15-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug (Post 1170974)
Well, I think the first thing I would do is determine what caused the fire in the first place, and then make sure I don't do it THAT way again...

The cause seems to be rather obvious. The poor car's immune system rejected the rat motor and the resulting fever burned it up.

G-Pete 01-16-2012 04:51 AM

It does not look that bad - considering it was involved in a fire.

First advice - don't be cheap. Don't try to fix the body, just get a new one. You can use the time and effort to do it right.

Here on this forum are plenty people who can identify anything - they just need more info. Make plenty pictures from all angles and put it out here and you get that Cobra back on the road.

Third - just pay it forward and post your progress here. We all like to see that.

Thanks

TButtrick 01-16-2012 06:31 AM

Where is the fuel fill? It looks like there's something behind the rollbar and in the same place on the passenger side. Can you get more pics?

Kenda11 01-16-2012 10:18 AM

More pics coming tonight. I found an identification badge that says "shelby american"...

mreid 01-16-2012 11:35 AM

Heh, heh, heh...sorry, keep looking or see if there is a chassis or vin engraved or stamped on that plate you found.

Kenda11 01-16-2012 02:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay, I located the vin and found out it was by Classic Roadsters back in 1992. Their website seems a little out dated, but sent them an email anyhow. Any feedback on them would be appreciated. I have attached some more pics and will continue to as I start pulling it apart. Thanks for all the help and please keep the advice coming.

TButtrick 01-16-2012 03:09 PM

There's a subforum here for classic roadsters. I'm searching for Mark's reference to the burnt Cobra restore thread. Hang tight.

tcrist 01-16-2012 03:53 PM

That would be a Classic Roadsters LTD. Classic Roadsters is gone. You can check with Bill Emerson Emerson MotorSports - Emerson 427 - Bigger, stronger, faster, better. You heard this before, let us prove it!. His cars are similar to a CR and he might be able to help with body parts or maybe a complete body. Worth a call anyway.

mreid 01-16-2012 04:39 PM

Wow, I didn't realize how badly the interior was burned. Here's the link I was talking about:

Burned roadster on ebay - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

TButtrick 01-16-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreid (Post 1171174)
Wow, I didn't realize how badly the interior was burned. Here's the link I was talking about:

Burned roadster on ebay - FFCars.com : Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum

Yup, that's the one. It will be a rewarding project. Go for it.