Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   1979 Stallion 429 Barn Find (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/114345-1979-stallion-429-barn-find.html)

Drags 02-12-2012 08:26 AM

1979 Stallion 429 Barn Find

Looked at a 1979 Staliion 429 yesterday and need some help.

It has an era correct 427 side oiler cross main with 0 miles. The car has never been titled. Needs some interior items and minor mechanical work to get the engine running. I have a copy of the original bill of sale and copy of the certificate of origin. Also have pictures.

What's it worth in it's current state or completed? I have a pretty good idea of it's value, but can't find too many comparables to validate this.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

charles roybal 02-12-2012 08:45 AM

Post some pics...

bobcowan 02-12-2012 08:51 AM

A big question is.... can you get it titled, registered, and insured? Since you only have copies, that could be difficult in some states.

FWB 02-12-2012 08:53 AM

yes pics......car should still have a vin number from kellison even though it was never titled.

email me, see below

Fred

Drags 02-12-2012 10:19 AM

Pictures are now posted on my profile

charles roybal 02-12-2012 03:14 PM

Is it running a C-6 trans? Dose it have discbrakes F&R? Was it painted or is it just poslished gel-coat?

TN Shelby Cobra 02-12-2012 03:33 PM

Engine looks nice!

Quik289 02-12-2012 07:02 PM

To address your question of value look at these factors:
-Side oiler, but NOT RUNNING - don't overpay for the risk you take to get it running.
-Automatic transmission - severely limits field of buyers. Discount accordingly.
-Car partially disassembled, parts missing, does it need a repaint?
I'm thinking a starting point of $15k in this condition. Recognize that if you get to $20k you've probably overpaid a little and REALLY WANT IT.

FWB 02-13-2012 06:52 AM

i think that is too generous for what is there and what will need to be done to get the car on the road. keep in mind this car is 30+ years old
some of the parts i see that are missing cannot be bought anymore.

having a 79 kellison stallion myself i would not go more than 10k on a good day.

Fred

mreid 02-13-2012 06:59 AM

This seems like one of those situations where more money can be made by removing the engine/tranny and selling it separately from the vehicle. I agree on the $10k price and feel you could get much more than that by selling the parts separately, plus you address the price disadvantage of the automatic tranny impact on resale. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

FWB 02-13-2012 07:16 AM

search for previous sold cars. they do have a following but it is small.
it is not a cobra. there are not any parts on that car that will fit a cobra
except the bumpers.

if the car was done and running with a title it would bring around 30-35 and thats it. do your homework,
remember it isn't a cobra, its bigger heavier and wider. a member here sold his a year or two ago on ebay. he got 22k it was super clean and flawless with a soft top.

dls141 02-16-2012 06:21 AM

Drags - as a starting point. I just paid $25K for a "barn find" B&B built in 2000. It has a 1968 427 SO bolted to a 4 speed top loader. 2700 original miles. Paint is excellent but not "show" perfect - but it looks great.
Engine did not run but would turn over. It's been a fun project and so far I'm into it for:
- A new Holley HP 750cfm carb
- Repaired a broken distributor mag
- New battery
- Replaced the ignition wires and plugs
- Reset the valves and changed all the fluids
- New valve cover gaskets and lugs
- New oil pan gasket to fix an oil leak
I'm still chasing a couple minor annoyances but nothing keeping me from driving it. It runs great and running through the gears is a blast!

I will be replacing the coil overs this weekend and am considering a full suspension change as the car is a bit "loose". I will also be changing out the brakes since they are too mushy for my taste. Small Cobra II front end probably not helping. The tires look new but have been sitting for 6 years so they'll get me through the summer - but next year = new shoes.

By the time I'm done I'll be right around $30K and I was lucky the engine/trans really didn't need anything significant.

FWB 02-16-2012 07:15 AM

i won't even tell you what it cost to get my 79 up to snuff, and it was a running car. the body needed nothing.

here's the gruesome reality.
the car your looking at has a factory ford mustang II crossmember and stamped steel suspension. this will need replacing, it flexes too much and after 30 years of sitting its toast.

it will probably have 9" mustang II brakes on the front, they won't stop the car, they will have to go. the car weighs in with a big block at 3000 lbs.
there is more metal in the frame than most trucks

was it even wired? or wired properly? my car had no fuse box at all.

i didn't see any interior pieces in the pics?

is the motor mounted? there was no provision from kellison to put a 427 in the car......429/460 or 351c so headers will have to be custom,

fuel system? is there a tank? is it a fiberglass racing tank? it will have to go.

now the body.......talk to boat people about 30 year old fiberglass..

you will have 8-10k in the paint if you do it right..

haven't touched base on the motor yet......you see where i'm going.

this is reality......i've been to this show before......

and it was a costly one. if you can get the car under 10k it may be worth it, look on the passenger frame rail from under the hood right in front of the spring perch....there should be a number scratched into the frame. thats the kellison vin.....it being there will let you title it as a 79. in most states.