Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Question about Dupont ChromaBase paint. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/116200-question-about-dupont-chromabase-paint.html)

my427cobra 06-27-2012 10:00 AM

Question about Dupont ChromaBase paint.

For the paint experts on our forum: I have a pint of Dupont ChromaBase paint left over from my car's paint job.

I would like to paint a couple of other parts using this paint by using one of those small Preval 6oz aerosol sprayers.

The paint seems thick compared to another can which has been "reduced".

Does that mean I have to "reduce" this pint can and will it need "activator"?

Will I have to use Dupont reducer and activator or are there generic products?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Greg

DanEC 06-27-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my427cobra (Post 1197804)
For the paint experts on our forum: I have a pint of Dupont ChromaBase paint left over from my car's paint job.

I would like to paint a couple of other parts using this paint by using one of those small Preval 6oz aerosol sprayers.

The paint seems thick compared to another can which has been "reduced".

Does that mean I have to "reduce" this pint can and will it need "activator"?

Will I have to use Dupont reducer and activator or are there generic products?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Greg

Yes, it will need to be reduced. You can spray it without a hardner but I'm not sure what you will end up with. To do it right you need a reducer and hardner from Dupont. Get on Google and pull up the tech sheet on ChromaBase. It will tell you what you need and in what proportions to mix it.

my427cobra 06-27-2012 10:41 AM

Yeah. I called my local paint shop and the California gestapo has outlawed ChromaBase and it products, so they advised I reduce it with acetone in a one to one ratio.

They said I wouldn't need activator.

Does that sound right?

Greg

Tom Cimino 06-27-2012 01:16 PM

Forget the Preval sprayer. You can get an imported copy of a Binks touchup gun from Harbour Freight rather cheaply and they spray surprisingly well.

Dubliner 06-27-2012 01:25 PM

Greg,

Chromabase is just a solvent based base coat, either acrylic or polyester. It should be thinned with a lacquer thinner, - here in Europe called cellulose or acrylic thinner. Chromabase should be sprayed at a low viscosity - usually measured with a viscosity cup - either a Ford number 4 or a Zahn number 2, to about 18-20 seconds- fairly thin. Don't be afraid of over thinning, you can always apply more coats and they will be smooth, whereas if you under thin, the finish will be textured and difficult to correct. The activator in Chromabase is an option, but is not required for general use. Allow the base coat to flash off well before applying clear lacquer. Good luck!

Dubliner ( DuPont importer to Ireland for 25 years, and Cobra owner for 19!)

my427cobra 06-28-2012 06:44 AM

Thanks Dubliner. I will use lacquer thinner instead of acetone. Look forward to visiting your beauiful country someday.

Cheers
Greg

DanEC 06-28-2012 06:57 AM

My mistake - I was thinking ChromaBase was DuPont's early BC/CC urethane.