Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Top Engine Builders (Quality, Performance, Reliability) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/121202-top-engine-builders-quality-performance-reliability.html)

MJJ 06-25-2013 06:26 AM

Top Engine Builders (Quality, Performance, Reliability)

In my research so far I have seen mentions of:

1)Roush
2) Keith Craft
3) Blykins
4) Smeding Performance

Any others that you would recommend? Looking for a well built, reliable small block 427 with a smaller cam so that it has great drivability. Torque is more important than peak HP for my intended use.

Thanks for your insight,

Tag

jhv48 06-25-2013 06:44 AM

Before you consider a Roush engine, do a search on this forum about the warranty exclusions and oil problems some have had with their engines. Haven't seen one complaint about the others on the list.

Hydramada 06-25-2013 06:50 AM

I have a Keith Craft 427 in my current car and it has been 100% trouble free so I would be hard pressed not to give them props and a nod of approval.

I have been very impressed with Brent's customer service and the lengths he will go to make a customer happy. If I was going to have a new powerplant built, it would be a close contest between those two.

lippy 06-25-2013 07:38 AM

I haven't used the others but Brent is building mine. Very straight guy, detail oriented. I feel like I made a good choice. Add Barry R and Tom at FE Specialties to the list too.

GBowman 06-25-2013 08:55 AM

Another vote for BLykins-he has just completed my engine and trans (upgraded TKO600)...if you want a truly custom engine built EXACTLY the way you want it, I cannot imagine a better builder. His level of detail and interaction with you throughout the build process is second to none. I can't say enough about his customer service and attention to detail.

MJJ 06-25-2013 09:16 AM

I am glad I made this post. Sounds like a call is in order to Mr Blykins. I am the first to admit I need an expert to formulate the build. Trust is essential.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

DanEC 06-25-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhv48 (Post 1250181)
Before you consider a Roush engine, do a search on this forum about the warranty exclusions and oil problems some have had with their engines. Haven't seen one complaint about the others on the list.

I think there would be a few others on here that would be a little more blunt in saying that Roush doesn't belong on this list.

PSB 06-25-2013 12:29 PM

Jon Kaase: Jon Kaase Racing Engines - John Kaase Racing Engines

Dimis 06-25-2013 01:25 PM

My choice was BLykins.
His accessability and reputation (not just on this forum) made it an easy choice for me, particularly when living on the other side of the world.
The bonus - he's a nice bloke to boot and puts up with my inane questions.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank him public ally again.

rodneym 06-25-2013 05:41 PM

Tom Lucas at FE Specialties gets/got my vote.

You can't go wrong with Tom, Barry, Keith and Brent. They're personal attention to customers and their builds made their reps what they are.They're all top notch. How about the most local one?

951mat 06-25-2013 06:02 PM

Brent did mine as well. Don't have a lot of experience with others, but I 'm glad I chose who I did. He will shoot you straight and not sell you what you don't want/need. A pleasure to deal with. He put up with a fair amount from me on my dry sump system and in the end it was perfect. He definitely goes the extra mile to please his customers.

Mat

tkb289 06-25-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodneym (Post 1250316)
Tom Lucas at FE Specialties gets/got my vote.

You can't go wrong with Tom, Barry, Keith and Brent. They're personal attention to customers and their builds made their reps what they are.They're all top notch. How about the most local one?

These guys are all great, they have excellent reputations based on years of hard work. Tom Lucas built my motor. Going local is a good option to consider.

Sailfish 06-26-2013 10:27 AM

I have a Roush motor (342) and couldn't be happier. I have over 17,000 miles and had not had any issues. Yes, it was expensive but, so far, it's been worth it. They have been very responsive to my requests for information and assistance. Overall, I'm very satisfied.

Dwight 06-26-2013 06:14 PM

Keith Craft