Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I should have been clearer. Assuming just labor no parts install labor is about 2k. How much more does a coyote add to the install, not factoring in an cost for parts.

QUOTE=Cashburn;1282275]Have you priced a TKO-600 in the last 3 years? [/quote]
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Ed

I promise not to use H (hydrazine) never have----------
How come that post about the Elapsed Times magazine doesn't show up on these pages? or is it just my computer???

For Itstock----I intend to take my car to the salt flats and try to run 300 mph with it---will be a first for a cobra bodied car----one of the places where I haven't held a record.
After its over the car and engine can be separated-------
I don't know why the Elapsed Times mag post did not, same issue with my computer. To my way of thinking it should have because it was a - new post and an active thread.

BTW the write up and pics were absolutely great.

To my knowledge our body styles get to be a handful to control once you get above 150 or so. I think there has been only one of these body styles at 200mph. I suspect 300 might just be a stretch with out some wind tunnel work.

BTW that nitro with the greenish color to the exhaust flame was always pretty impressive. Seems like it didn't like too much direct sunlight on the fuel tank though and it always seemed to be a little alkali and shock sensitive

Don't do anything that'll get you hurt, we like you around here too much.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have Roush 427 srtw with 8 stack efi for the look.

Next would be Keith Craft 482 shelby block.

Cobra is about raw insane feeling with the deep rumble - nothing less nothing more.

I know it is a replica, but when you open the hood or people ask... what will you say: defend the modern motpr or prodly flip the gas pedal so kids pee their pants and car alarm starts to chime
anthonyL likes this.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2969, Roush 427 SR
Not Ranked     

Roush 427 SR here... Rated at 510hp but I'm trying to squeeze more out of it, first line of business is to install a set of Classic Chambered exhaust. As for the motor I'm thinking of letting my guy that built my motor for my 9sec 87 Grand National pull the carb, intake, heads and cam and put together a combo that can get me to 600-650rwhp. Or go the simple route and slam a supercharger on it.

I like the thought of new style motors in old Camaros and the 1st and 2nd gen Vettes but I bought this car because nobody my age has one. (32yrs) For me to put a Coyote motor in my Cobra will 110% defeat the purpose of me purchasing this car... Might as well of just picked up a Supersnake or that new Camaro that makes 600+ to the crank stock. (I still might get that Maro)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427S, Coyote Aluminator
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
That's a great innovation, but I don't think that look works when matched together.

I like the engine, and I like the intake, but I don't like them together

I'd be happier with a modern take on that intake or IF I wanted the vintage look for a coyote I'd opt for the mock Cammer look.

Just saying...
Dimis, Cammer coil covers exist for the Coyote just not sure if they are commercially available at this time, this is what I had in mind when I decided on the Aluminator and these dress up bits will eventually be produced so the ability to have super mod technology with old school look is very appealing. Now all I need is a tune that will give a lumpier sound, is it possible?
Old 01-28-2015, 06:56 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptech View Post
If you want modern technology with vintage looks, this is aweful sweet looking:

Not sure of the fit under the hood, but I'd figure out some way to squeeze it in there!
I like it. Put some VCs like this on it and the world would be mo betta.

Or maybe this.

DougD likes this.

Last edited by lovehamr; 01-28-2015 at 07:01 AM..
Old 01-28-2015, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
I like it. Put some VCs like this on it and the world would be mo betta.

Or maybe this.

That's the ticket! Old school looks with modern reliability and power. If that don't give ya a woodie..........
Old 01-28-2015, 03:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #982 w/ Ford Racing 427 Inglese 8 Stack Injection
Not Ranked     

I went the 427 with the 8 stack. DEf a show stopper but a pita to clean. Once tuned its a good set up. Lots of different systems have come out since mine. I did like the 427 tilted look but wasnt an option at the time with a SB 427.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:07 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby Cobra CSX4206 aluminum body, original 1965 NASCAR 427 SO, Dual quads.
Not Ranked     

FE. The 5.0 is a great motor but belongs in a Mustang.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 427 IR
Not Ranked     
Default FF Type 65 with Coyote

IMG_100_3682_jpg_0091_1 - Club Cobra Photo Gallery

Most of the top manufactures have modified their chassis to accept the 5.0 L Coyote engine. Here is a photo of one in a Factory Five Type 65 with the period correct stack injection system.

Last edited by redchief; 01-29-2015 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Photo did not show up in post.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427S, Coyote Aluminator
Not Ranked     

Can any of you gentlemen in the US of A tell us Aussies if we need a special oil pan to allow ground clearance when putting the Coyote in a Cobra. I see there are several options in the market just not sure if it is needed.

Cheers

Russell
d488y2 likes this.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Special Oil Pan for Coyote Install

In the FF Type 65 install in the photo above, a special oil pan was developed due to the ride height clearance. The "Canton" pan was too deep for this application and would have caused a problem. This pan can be replicated for the more common roadster install. We have contacted a shop in California to replicated this pan. If you are interested, send me a message.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:08 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

The Moroso pan is far superior to the Canton pan as it has a billet rail and better overall construction. We have not used the Canton pan since the Moroso became readily available.

The dimensions of the Moroso pan set it even with the Quick Time bellhousing so you are not going any lower with it.

As for Stack Injected Coyote, we've got something up our sleeve. And we are not locking out the cams to do it (or sacrificing the power with it).
Old 01-30-2015, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

You are building an old school car. My opinion is you go old school on the power train. That is the charm of the thing. You can also work on the old school power train if that is your thing, it makes the car become more of a hobby. I imagine with the Coyote engine you would have to pay someone to fix it. Either way great fun.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     
Default Good Video

If you have not seen this it is worth watching.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEzgy4ki2o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEzgy4ki2o[/ame]
Old 01-30-2015, 09:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Coyote Stack Injection

The stack injection in the photo has a priority developed ECM that is a stand alone plug and play system. It comes with the harness and all you have to do is hook up the stock sensors from the Coyote. It controls the variable cam timing and takes sensor data from all of the stock sensors including "knock". After three days on a diagnostic engine dyno, a stock 5.0 L engine developed 437 hp at a 6500 rpm limit with an extend rpm range for peak torque to 5400 rpm peak torque of 375 ft lbs. No chassis dyno programming is required with this system.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:12 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchief View Post
The stack injection in the photo has a priority developed ECM that is a stand alone plug and play system. It comes with the harness and all you have to do is hook up the stock sensors from the Coyote. It controls the variable cam timing and takes sensor data from all of the stock sensors including "knock". After three days on a diagnostic engine dyno, a stock 5.0 L engine developed 437 hp at a 6500 rpm limit with an extend rpm range for peak torque to 5400 rpm peak torque of 375 ft lbs. No chassis dyno programming is required with this system.
Not to get in a side debate here, but the lack of tuning initially is likely what is limiting the output of that setup. 437HP is a shortfall from what a standard Coyote setup can achieve (with tuning of course ) in a "Cobra" setup.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Coyote Stack Injection

I agree on the no debate statement. The Coyote will make great HP. We kept the rpm development to 6500 even though the engine will rev to 7000 all day. At the time, we had only one engine to do development. More HP will come with this additional 500 rpm. The engine we used was a stock 412 HP crate engine so the 437 HP was an improvement over the stock engine and was obtained by the Stack Injection and 3 day dyno development.

Many of us have spent a lot of money and time going through the chassis dyno tuning. Many people do not have a qualified facility available close to their location. This is the where "plug and play" set-up we provide adds some advantages.

I am for any development that provides the Coyote engine for Cobras and other vehicles. I wish you well with your endeavor on development of your package