Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Where does all the (speeding) money go? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/128994-where-does-all-speeding-money-go.html)

strictlypersonl 05-21-2014 06:40 AM

Where does all the (speeding) money go?

A check on the veracity of this is probably indicated.

Driving Citation Statistics | Statistic Brain

DonC 05-21-2014 07:22 AM

I remember when the 55 mph national speed limit was enacted. Ohio was the most active in the enforcement. It was referred to as a Hanging Offense by some comedians at the time.
DonC

1985 CCX 05-21-2014 07:29 AM

Annual Christmas Ball and bonus programs.............

Buncha commies ....... :mad:

Tommy 05-21-2014 07:54 AM

Here is one anecdotal story. I live in a small town near an even smaller town, Camp Hill, (population 1500) in rural Alabama. Some years ago the state rerouted the highway between Birmingham and Columbus, Georgia and widened it to a divided four-lane. It looks like an Interstate highway but without limited access. When they rerouted, they bypassed Camp Hill, killing what little economic activity it gained from passing traffic. The new highway passes through the city limits of Camp Hill, but you cannot see any actual buildings or signs of a community as you drive by.

I drive that road every day and there is a Camp Hill police car catching speeders 99 times out of 100. I am convinced that the city could not afford a police department or other city services without the income it derives from non-local speeders driving by. From their point of view it allows them to provide better city services without raising local taxes. .... As I said, I drive the road every day and I have never been stopped. That is because I know they are there and do not speed. To me, people who pay speeding tickets are like people who play government sponsored lottery games. It's their choice to pay that voluntary tax for whatever benefit they think they will receive. I've long thought of the lottery as "the stupid tax." It's a tax paid only by those people stupid enough to pay it.

Murky781 05-21-2014 10:17 AM

I was told by a Town cop that all fines are paid to the State and the Towns get nada. Doesn't make sense on a Town road. Just my .02 worth

lippy 05-21-2014 04:34 PM

Average cost of a ticket...$152. My wife got a camera ticket for a rolling right on red. $600. Welcome to California.

Rick Parker 05-21-2014 07:16 PM

lippy what city was that in? Yikes

lippy 05-21-2014 10:00 PM

Redwood City, Whipple Ave. They also set traps there and give tickets for failure to obey (hidden) signs. Tens per day in the same spot. It's really bad when cops trap citizens for the purpose of generating revenue. Unethical.

Jamo 05-21-2014 10:58 PM

Seems to me there was a stretch of highway just outside of London that was one of Car & Driver's top speed trap notables.