Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   What material is used on the inner fender liner? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/129469-what-material-used-inner-fender-liner.html)

mnm99 06-26-2014 04:26 AM

What material is used on the inner fender liner?

I know Top of the hill sells the precut pieces, I only need a few to patch up the inner fenders. What kind of materials are used in the inner fenders? Where can I find some.

bret a ewing 06-26-2014 06:53 AM

Kirkham Brothers.

mnm99 06-26-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bret a ewing (Post 1307977)
Kirkham Brothers.

I suppose you don't know? Anyone?

ACademic 06-26-2014 08:19 AM

Just go to a local arts & crafts store and buy 1/8" neoprene sheet. You can find it in small sizes (16x20) and in black. Cut to fit with scissors and use 3M spray adhesive. Then coat over the patchwork with spray bed liner to seal it in. This works and lasts a long time, and won't bleed through the 'glass to the paint.

mnm99 06-26-2014 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACademic (Post 1307987)
Just go to a local arts & crafts store and buy 1/8" neoprene sheet. You can find it in small sizes (16x20) and in black. Cut to fit with scissors and use 3M spray adhesive. Then coat over the patchwork with spray bed liner to seal it in. This works and lasts a long time, and won't bleed through the 'glass to the paint.

I picked up some of this. This should hold right? I'll check my local store. Thanks.

Marine Fast Cure 5200 Adhesive Sealant :3M US

EDIT... Can't find it at my local Arts and crafts stores...

ACademic 06-26-2014 11:25 AM

I think the stuff you are planning to use may work, but it also may bleed through. Don't make this any harder than it needs to be. The Super 77 is essentially rubber cement in a spray can. Top coating it with any black bed liner (spray) will seal it in.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iUkE1wfEmh...y+Adhesive.jpg

ACademic 06-26-2014 11:27 AM

Actually, this stuff is easier to find and works just as well:

http://www.6x6world.com/images/custo...M-adhesive.jpg

Any NAPA or well-stocked auto parts store should carry. Or auto paint store.

Rick Parker 06-26-2014 09:40 PM

If it is a Glass car you can spray rubberized aerosol undercoating material onto the under sides of the fenders and it will work quite well.

COBRANIP 06-27-2014 12:16 AM

If you use 3M 5200......don't ever plan on removing it! I would characterize it as "permanent"!
Good luck.

P.S. 3M 5200 doesn't like sunlight but that doesn't seem like a consideration where you would use it.

SKINNEDR 06-27-2014 04:39 AM

I have a BDR and it have always cross my mind to add a inner liner to my fender, however have never seen a Cobra with Fender liners..
can anyone post a picture of what that looks like?
Not trying to jack this thread.. If necessary I will post separately..

mnm99 06-27-2014 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COBRANIP (Post 1308109)
If you use 3M 5200......don't ever plan on removing it! I would characterize it as "permanent"!
Good luck.

P.S. 3M 5200 doesn't like sunlight but that doesn't seem like a consideration where you would use it.

That's my plan. If I install the pads again I want to do it once. God forbid something happens to the car and I need body work we'll come to that road when it comes.
I'm still looking local for some neoprene sheets. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

ACademic 06-27-2014 08:29 AM

Funky Foam 12" x 18" Black EVA Foam Sheet - 2mm | Shop Hobby Lobby

Sometimes it's listed as "foam", but it's neoprene or like a neoprene. 2mm is plenty. Just seal it in with the spray bed liner. Between the foam/neoprene barrier and the bed liner seal you won't have any issues with rocks starring your exterior. No bleed through. I don't have pics to post but this is a one beer project.

SKINNEDR 07-07-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnm99 (Post 1308121)
That's my plan. If I install the pads again I want to do it once. God forbid something happens to the car and I need body work we'll come to that road when it comes.
I'm still looking local for some neoprene sheets. I can't seem to find them anywhere.

With the 3M™ Marine Fast Cure 5200
Adhesive Sealant, you don't have any issues with it affecting the paint. I heard some sealant will seep through and affect the paint.
where do you purchase it?

Dex..

mnm99 07-09-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKINNEDR (Post 1309231)
With the 3M™ Marine Fast Cure 5200
Adhesive Sealant, you don't have any issues with it affecting the paint. I heard some sealant will seep through and affect the paint.
where do you purchase it?

Dex..

I ended up using 3M 847 contact cement. no bleed through.

SKINNEDR 07-15-2014 10:48 AM

Can anyone post a picture of their finish product?
I'm getting ready to do mine next week..

COBRANIP 07-15-2014 11:47 PM

SKINNEDR-
3M 5200 should be at most any marine/boating supply store. Of course there's always Amazon.

SKINNEDR 07-30-2014 08:09 AM

I tried 3M77 and it did not work out well for me. I did both surface and it would not stick well to my satisfaction.
I gave up and took whatever was left, off.. I'm just going to coat it with Bed Liner...

Dwight 07-30-2014 12:42 PM

good thread
I need to line my fender wheels

Dwight

Steve Siedlecki 07-31-2014 04:50 AM

I have to do mine as well. Here is where I sourced the rubber.
McMaster-Carr

SKINNEDR 08-05-2014 05:04 PM

What I did wa the truck bed spray on liner...
Doing the liner was just too tackie...