• 1 Post By Blas
  • 1 Post By Paintwerks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2015, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 575 with Shelby Aluminum 427 Stroked to 468
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator Screen - Fastening suggestions?

Decided to build my own. I looked at the olthoff screen, and it says easy to install but it looks like the dimensions are about the size of the radiator, so the only "easy" way to install it is to remove the radiator, and then if you wanted to clean it, it would be, well, not - so - easy. Any ways, I decided to make mine out of brass flat bar and SS square mesh. I made it in 2 rectangles so they can be inserted one by one and then fastened. I'm wrestling with how to secure them to the front of the radiator. I can see like a toggle type latch that gets turned 90 degrees to hold it to the radiator frame. The miter cut the brass and then used something called SSF-6 to braze it with a simple MAPP Gas torch. The results were pretty good, and the fit seems secure. I cut the mesh and used binder clips to fasten it and then used RTV high temp sealant to create the border that holds the mesh. Here's a photo.. I thought a cool look might be to create an X of flat bar into the dimensions of the assembled rectangles, but then, i figured, it's a lot more work and might restrict some wind flow.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
That looks good and is the same stuff that I made mine out of except I didn't have anything around the edge. My Cobra was easy to get to in that area and I just put in 4 wing type nuts with the bolts fastened to the frame and radiator support. That way I could take it out in about 5 minutes and wash it. Yours looks much better than mine did.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 01-20-2015, 09:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thinking that i might use some more flat bar along the side borders to bridge the 2 panels with 2 long vertical strips of aluminum that have bolts facing to the front, then i can drill mated holes to join the 2 rectangles, then just spin on some wing nuts so that i have one integrated screen, and maybe just use safety wire to wrap it around the radiator to secure the whole thing.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     

velcro works just fine. except yours look much heavier. try it. Maybe pin the top screen to the bottom in the center.
Derald Rice likes this.

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

all finished...

Old 01-26-2015, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Sorry, but it looks like a fireplace grille. Not a fan of the bar through the middle either. I know function is important, but with a Cobra, so too is form.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

The Olthoff screen can be removed in a few minutes. I've only removed it once, normally just clean with a garden hose.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I had the olthoff screen on spf 1118 but never studied the fit. It must be smaller than the full radiator, otherwise it would not be revovable unless its very flexible. I like an industrial look and brass matches my wheel centers. But I may consider something else. I wanted to have a big X in the middle. I like building, so this was more of a project for projects sake and a need to protect radiator from a knock out pebble or stone. Maybe a full blackout of the brass and mesh would look better.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #522
Not Ranked     

Olthoff screen in my car is wider than the rad. Attaches to the fiberglass surround. Easy to remove, but shouldn't need to as the screen openings are large.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Sorry, but it looks like a fireplace grille. Not a fan of the bar through the middle either. I know function is important, but with a Cobra, so too is form.
I'm always fascinated by people like you. This gentleman constructed something for his car that he was proud enough of to share with the members of this forum. I didn't see anywhere in his post where he was asking for opinions. I'm not sure why you would feel compelled to berate him.

Ted
Old 01-26-2015, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ted

Thanks for the kind words. Paintwerk's comment felt a little bit diggy but last month I did a roll bar retro fit using a csx style layout on a spf. In that case was seeking inputs about dimensions and style preferences. In the screen case I was trying to get fastening suggestions. I'm pretty confident about what I like and dont like. There are lots of opinions out there and I highly doubt he was trying to insult me. But your comment was really thoughtful and appreciated. This is a great forum and folks are very generous with their expertise and experience and yes sometimes their opinions. Again thanks.

Frank
Old 01-26-2015, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Frankym,

Curiously, what shade of red is that Cobra?
Old 01-26-2015, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Its Monza Red. I believe that is a stock superformance color. Its the solid red that makes it so bright. I had spf monza red with white stripes on car #1005. The stripes of any color break up the glare and looks a lot less brilliant in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

For what it's worth, you've built some very beautiful screens. Mine are functional, but nearly as elegant.

I attached mine with Velcro. Readily obtainable at the local hardware store, inexpensive and durable. Plus, it allows for quick removal and reinstallation. I chose the type with adhesive already applied and have had no issues in almost 21,000 miles. Very satisfied.

By the way, mine were made by the local ACE hardware to my dimensions and cost about $22.

No matter what method you decide upon, you've made a smart decision in using screens. Won't protect a great deal against major debris (i.e. rocks, cars, pedestrians) but it makes bug removal much easier and faster.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing 427 SC
Not Ranked     
Default Screen attachment

I used some black screen and attached it with black duct tape. Unless you look really close, you would never know there is a screen in front of the radiator.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedeutsch View Post
I used some black screen and attached it with black duct tape. Unless you look really close, you would never know there is a screen in front of the radiator.
And that's a much better way of saying what I was attempting to say.

Ted, I wasn't trying to berate Frank, and no, I never set out to insult him. If I did, then I sincerely apologise. I certainly appreciate that he has taken the initiative to implement a DIY solution to a very real issue. He has a beautiful car and I still maintain that I think while yes, it likely works very well, I just don't believe it looks right.

However, if it were blacked out then I feel it would look better...and that would suit the car more. That's just my opinion and he can do with it exactly whatever he wants.
Shootnride likes this.