Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Shelby related pictures....Cobra, Daytona Coupe, GT40, GT350 (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/133932-shelby-related-pictures-cobra-daytona-coupe-gt40-gt350.html)

Bondurant 01-08-2016 07:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's Bob Bondurant at Murray Racing in Colorado this last summer, reunited with Ford GT/104 that he raced at Daytona in 1965 with Richie Ginther.

Parked behind GT/104, is the sister car and '65 Daytona winner with Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby, GT/103.

Cheers,

JP

Bernica 01-08-2016 07:32 PM

Great pics and great memories....

Bondurant 01-08-2016 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The last race of the Daytona Coupe...

1965 - Coppa Di Enna, Italy. Bob Bondurant in CSX2601 winning 1st in GT and 3rd Overall.

Cheers,

JP

xb-60 01-09-2016 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernica (Post 1377207)
Sorry if this was already posted. I did go through the thread first. Dave MacDonald and Steve McQueen's car #2136. Some great pics though!;)

Dave MacDonald runs Shelby Cobra CSX2136 in 1963 Road America 500 GT win

A lot of great pictures in that link Bernica....thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 01-09-2016 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondurant (Post 1377214)
....Parked behind GT/104, is the sister car and '65 Daytona winner with Ken Miles and Lloyd Ruby, GT/103.

Cheers,

JP

Great shots. Many thanks JP. I've edited the earlier posts with your comments.

Tell me, does GT/103 currently still wear its later "Le Mans nose", or has it now reverted back to its earlier (similar to GT/104's) nose?

Excuse my ignorance, but do you have a connection with the great BB?

Cheers,
Glen

Bondurant 01-09-2016 10:51 AM

You're welcome Glen.

Yes, currently Murray Racing is in the process of reconstructing GT/103 back to the early '64-'65 design using GT/104 as a template for the "shark nose" and rear deck. The exotic 255ci 4-cam "Indy" engine that was previously in the car is now a centerpiece in Bill's living room.

As for the BB connection, I work for Bob here at his racing school in Phoenix. I'll post additional images from our archives when I return to the office on Monday;)

Cheers,

JP

twobjshelbys 01-09-2016 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondurant (Post 1377262)
Yes, currently Murray Racing is in the process of reconstructing GT/103 back to the early '64-'65 design using GT/104 as a template for the "shark nose" and rear deck. The exotic 255ci 4-cam "Indy" engine that was previously in the car is now a centerpiece in Bill's living room.

For those who may not be aware or made the connection, Murray Racing is Bill and Dave Murray, who also own/operate the Shelby American Collection in Boulder/Longmont. They have restored a lot of Cobras and GT40s but do so in a rather under the radar screen manner. The insiders are certainly aware of them but the rest of the world not so much.

In any case, a visit to the Shelby American Collection is worth your time if you happen to be in the Denver area. They are only open on Saturday 10-4 so plan accordingly.

(I used to live about 10 miles away and went at least 4 times a year.)

Edit: I had intended to state but forgot as I rewrote a portion that Steve Volk is also an owner of the museum.

xb-60 01-09-2016 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondurant (Post 1377262)
You're welcome Glen.

As for the BB connection, I work for Bob here at his racing school in Phoenix. I'll post additional images from our archives when I return to the office on Monday;)

Cheers,

JP

Thanks for that information JP, and I'll look forward to seeing whatever period pictures you can find in the archives.

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 01-09-2016 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1377265)
For those who may not be aware or made the connection, Murray Racing is Bill and Dave Murray, who also own/operate the Shelby American Collection in Boulder/Longmont. They have restored a lot of Cobras and GT40s but do so in a rather under the radar screen manner. The insiders are certainly aware of them but the rest of the world not so much.

In any case, a visit to the Shelby American Collection is worth your time if you happen to be in the Denver area. They are only open on Saturday 10-4 so plan accordingly.

(I used to live about 10 miles away and went at least 4 times a year.)

Thanks Tony. When I'm in Colorado, I'll definitely allocate the Saturday to a visit.

Cheers,
Glen

Bondurant 01-11-2016 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As promised some images from the Bondurant archives.

First one:

1964 Tour De France arrival - Bondurant/Neerspach in CSX2300

Cheers,

JP

Bondurant 01-11-2016 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my favorites...

1965 Nurburgring 1000KM - Bondurant in CSX2601. 1st in GT and set lap record in qualifying that would remain unbroken for 15 years.

Cheers,

JP

Bondurant 01-11-2016 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1964 Le Mans 24 Hours - Bondurant in CSX2299 that he shared with Dan Gurney. Historic win for Shelby American. 4th overall (behind 3 Ferrari prototypes) and 1st in GT, defeating the vaunted Ferrari 250GTO.

Cheers,

JP

Bernica 01-11-2016 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondurant (Post 1377447)
1964 Le Mans 24 Hours - Bondurant in CSX2299 that he shared with Dan Gurney. Historic win for Shelby American. 4th overall (behind 3 Ferrari prototypes) and 1st in GT, defeating the vaunted Ferrari 250GTO.

Cheers,

JP

Wow! Great pic! Talk about loading on the front left tyre...:eek:

twobjshelbys 01-11-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondurant (Post 1377447)

Cheers,

JP

CSX2299 is now owned by Larry H Miller (his family) and was on display at the museum at the track but is now once again at the Shelby American Collection. Here's a photo I took a few years ago (well, 2009) at the SAC. PS. Having Bob on the flat screen was NOT an accident.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...w/DSC_3442.jpg

xb-60 01-11-2016 10:01 PM

Great pictures JP. These are the sort of largely unseen period pictures that I was hoping to see posted here.
Many thanks, and hey, if you have more available....please post them! There are more people than just me enjoying seeing them :)

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 02-18-2018 04:55 PM

OK, old thread, but I like vintage pictures :)

Here's the Ken Miles / Bruce McLaren GT40 heading right at ya!

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...bring_1965.jpg

Dangerous spot for a photographer, I would say.....

Cheers,
Glen

HealeyRick 02-18-2018 06:01 PM

Love this one:

https://vgy.me/yLQMr2.jpg

BTW, really hate seeing those images blocked by Photobucket.

xb-60 02-18-2018 08:09 PM

Yes, we have all learned something there. Photobucket has really bitten the forums.
Nice pic of the MkIII in traffic, by the way :)

twobjshelbys 02-18-2018 08:31 PM

It's odd because my photo #94 is linked by photobucket. I refused to pay their extortion and decided to let the links expire. I linked tons of photos to these car forums, but it's not worth 500/year for me to keep them up since my heirs will certainly not keep it up. Anyway, I had bought a cheap (based on capacity and bandwidth) subscription, I think it was $20/year starting in 14 when I posted a boatload of photos for the Ford GT Forum rally and exceeded my bnadwidth. They kept it active until the renewal and then said it would be cut off if I didn't renew at the exorbitant rate which I did not do . But links still seem to work. But maybe it's just the way I'm "logged in". So the question is, can you see the pic?

lovehamr 02-19-2018 06:17 PM

Tony, I'm in the same bucket. Now photobucket keeps sending me lower and lower rates trying to get me back. They must've gotten real full of themselves for a while.