Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2016, 04:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, Ford 427 FE Side Oiler
Not Ranked     
Unhappy Can't drive my Cobra because of my health, any advice??

Hi folks,

I've owned my Cobra for less than a year and here's the problem: I can't sustain the driving. I have a poor shoulder as well as a bad back (7 crushed disks, 3 broken vertebras) and feel miserable for several days each time I drive it even for just half an hour.

I think I have two options:
- Move on and sell it
- Find a way to make it accessible?
I'd need to install a power steering, which is completely feasible. The other things I'm not sure about is the seat and suspension.
Do you guys think it's feasible to install a good looking vintage style driver seat? Something like a classic Kirkey. I'm not even sure it would be tall enough to support my neck though.

This is frustrating. I can drive and track cars such as Porsche and BMW. They're comfortable enough for me (drive a 911 on daily basis) but feel so bad I cannot enjoy the Cobra.

Anyone has been in this situation?

Thanks!
Luke
Old 09-11-2016, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

As said, the power steering should be doable. The seat issue may come down to what seat you can fit into the cockpit and how much work is involved in fitting you and the seat into the limited driving area.
I would not consider the kirkey if you have back problems. Not much cushioning in the Kirkeys and extremely rigid and a tight fit. Consider an OEM seat out of Miata or some other small car with a headrest and lumbar support to give you as much cushion and support as possible. You may need to have the floor lowered to fit the seat in and still be able to climb into the car.
Also, consider going to softer shocks and springs to soften up the ride a bit.

An Ididit adjustable steering column might also be helpful to get in and out of the car and adjust the steering wheel once you are seated to a comfortable position.

Each little addition will help but even with all that you have a mountain of issues to deal with. Good luck with your project.

Bob
Old 09-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Sell it, move on.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Luke,
I doubt anyone can tell you that there is a sure solution to your problem, but if you're willing to spend some money to find out, go for it. My wild guess is that it would cost about $2000-3000 to add power steering (or maybe the newer electric assist) and change out the driver's seat. You could probably also make the suspension a little softer, but you'd be getting farther away from the traditional Cobra experience. ..... If I were in your positiion, I'd likely sell the Cobra and buy some other high performance car that I could first take on an extended test drive. A car doesn't have to be brutal to provide high performance, but the 1960s experience typical in Cobras is brutal.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-11-2016, 10:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks folks.
I guess selling it and moving on would be the solution. Frustration is that I have taken more time to find the car that I have owned it so far, I truly love my Cobra but each time I drive it is like what I guess is a line of coke! You know it's bad on the long run but so good while doing it. I tend to ignore the pain while driving, but always pay for it afterward.

I've been quite a purist, found a very correct Unique that I tweaked to be almost perfect, and it would hurt me to put a Mazda seat in there. I really appreciate the info though, thanks.

Well - I guess I'll put it on the market. Probably sometimes in Spring
Old 09-11-2016, 10:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe I could work on this with a Daytona or GT40 replica. I don't like them as much as the Cobra in term of style, but will probably give me more flexibility as to how the interior can be setup.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Luke,

That is a shame that you have so many problems with the Cobra. I had one and was fortunate that my back problems never stopped me from driving it and racing it. I now have a Daytona Coupe and there are times that I can't get into it because of my back, but when I can, it is comfortable and I no longer race so I had the engine de-tuned so I could run it on the crap they call pump gas up here. But I actually like it more than the roadster myself.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 09-12-2016, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPO 963, 351W
Not Ranked     

I have back issues too. I roll up a towel to support my lower back. Made a world of difference for me. I'm considering adding shims to "tilt" the seat back. Might help even more. Food for thought.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Why not source (perhaps from a salvage yard) a set of seats from a Porsche or a BMW, since you already know they support you comfortably and adequately, and install them in your replica?

Just a thought...

I would second the recommendation for the electric power steering, too!

Cheers!!

Digly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR fat block tko 600 9"
Not Ranked     

With me it's my knees. People are entertained watching me exit my car. To quote an actor, they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:06 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

my MK2 Came with mazda miata seats from a 1st generation and they were quite comfortable and were cloth so it felt better too. I just changed them to the Factory Five seats though. It's a pretty cheap option and definitely better on the back.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     

Im sorry to hear of your health problems. I too have some back problems.
I hope you find a solution.My FFR stock seats in my Type 65 are comfy for me, once i get my bod into it.
I would recommend a removeable steering wheel as a partial solution to your entry difficulties.
Good Luck. The Nut
Old 09-12-2016, 07:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke427 View Post
Maybe I could work on this with a Daytona or GT40 replica. I don't like them as much as the Cobra in term of style, but will probably give me more flexibility as to how the interior can be setup.
I have back disc issues too, last was L3-L4, L4-L5, L5-S1, all working towards fusion. I have avoided it just so I can move. I was told if it comes to that the mobility would be greatly affected.

Sorry, but that is not likely at all with either of those. Both cars are as tight or tighter side-to-side than the Cobra, and you have an enclosed compartment, making entry-exit even more difficult. You also have to remember that the fuel tanks on the GT40 are side mounted so the "sill" is about 10 inches wide and the seat is BELOW them. Plus, the GT40 doesn't have seats. You sit on the body tub. Foam pads are the closest to adjustment you get. The Coupe would be the easier of the two, but the GT40 is by no means a substitute for a Cobra if you have physical problems getting in and out.

And finally, none of these cars are going to make it easy to substitute any kind of different seats (and the GT40 is impossible).

Personally, I think that trying to "modify" a Cobra with all of this will be a waste of money. In the end it still wouldn't work, and you'd be out all the money in trying to make it work then have to put it back to original (since it is unlikely anyone would buy it with these changes.) I suggest moving on.

How about a 57 Corvette? Not neck-snapping performance, but comfortable touring cars and they do look nice.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 09-12-2016 at 07:41 AM..
Old 09-12-2016, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #2119 289FIA
Not Ranked     

Corvettes of the last 5+ years have greatly improved. They ride, handle, brake and go like stink, even without going for the LT1 or ZO6. Get one with the exhaust cutout and you could have much of visceral enjoyment of your Cobra, with a whole lot more comfort. That'll be my next move, when my body and mind refuse to let me enjoy my Cobra. I've had two Cobras, over the last 15 years, both without side pipes, and still get a smile on my face every time I drive.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Bebout View Post
Corvettes of the last 5+ years have greatly improved. They ride, handle, brake and go like stink, even without going for the LT1 or ZO6. Get one with the exhaust cutout and you could have much of visceral enjoyment of your Cobra, with a whole lot more comfort. That'll be my next move, when my body and mind refuse to let me enjoy my Cobra. I've had two Cobras, over the last 15 years, both without side pipes, and still get a smile on my face every time I drive.
And I hate to say it, but... I never cared much for the shape of the Corvette after the 60's Stingrays (esp. 63 split window), but gee, the C7 looks pretty nice. And a C7 Z06 would be a neck-snapping experience.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Luke,

Bummer about the back problems.

In my experience, Porsche 911s are some of the most comfortable sports cars there are to drive, and you're going to have a hard time finding something similarly easy to live with, except maybe the Daytona Coupe. Cobras that I have been in tend to be a bit jarring, with a very upright seating position and not a lot of support. That can be tough on the lower back especially, as you've found out. GT40s, once you're in, can be quite comfortable if the seat fits you. But, there's not much you can change if they don't. And, and this is a big one, they can be very difficult to get into depending on your flexibility and stature. I love my GT40, but I would sell it in a minute if I had lower back problems. Definitely go for a few rides before making any decisions.

Good luck, but I would sell the Cobra.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 09-12-2016, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the honest feedback and good ideas.
I think I'll keep it for a while, make a few extra improvements for the fun of it and sell it.
Will probably go with a 911 turbo to replace my daily driver and the cobra altogether.

If I find the guts to sell it
Old 09-12-2016, 12:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke427 View Post
If I find the guts to sell it
It sounds like you should take it for an extra long ride. The next several days will make the decision a bit easier.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

I'll take a different tack.

If you're serious about wanting to keep and drive your Cobra and want to invest the time, effort and energy, then I'd highly recommend a couple of subscription services to increase your body's flexibility and mobility. Two of the premier sites where one can resolve pain, increase flexibility and mobility and prevent future injury.

There are literally hundreds if not thousands, of videos online that can help you drive your Cobra pain free by working on your shoulders, knees, ankles, neck, back, etc.

Mobility|WOD

https://romwod.com/

Good luck and good health to you!
Old 09-12-2016, 01:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Luke, I've read and re-read this thread numerous times, and I'm still not quite sure which part of the experience it is that causes you so much discomfort.

Is it the driving position?

Is it the physical exertion involved with steering the car without power steering?

Is it the uncomfortable nature of the seats while driving?

Is the damage done upon entry?

I ask because I was watching on the Velocity Channel a video of how to get into a GT40. It's 4 moves, open the door as wide as possible, step up onto the seat with both feet (still standing), slowly extend your feet into the footboxes as you lower yourself down onto the seat, and then close the door. Since you wondered if a GT40 would perhaps allow you to enjoy a replica other than the Cobra, it seems to me that if you can manage the sequence I mentioned a 40 MIGHT be an option, contrary to the opinions of others, particularly if you could find a good upholstery shop to pad out your drivers' seat to ensure you are comfortable as you sit. If you're like most of us, the proximity issue with the passenger won't be a problem as most of us Cobra drivers are use to rubbing elbows with our passenger.

OK...so as a younger man I fell 32' onto hard packed clay and injured myself...as you can imagine, my back was involved and I had to lay flat on my back in that hospital bed for 9 weeks. Unlike you, I'm not headed for fusions, but I want you to know that I understand from personal experience the discomfort that back problems produce in a Cobra. At that time I would have given my eye-teeth for a car, all I had was a motorcycle and I had to commute 60miles one-way every day...what helped me with the pain was a "corset" style back brace (OK....I'm sure you've been battling your back issues long enough that I don't have to run down the list...). The issue with your back being jarred into pain as you drive may be helped by the combination of a back-brace, extra seat padding, and perhaps softer shocks, as another suggested?

I CAN see why a Daytona may be the least desirable...you'd have to bend over to get in and I remember how much that hurt.

I feel for you...have loved the Cobra since I was in high school and I'm 67 now...bought my replica when I was 57. It takes a while for some of us to get all the impediments to Cobra ownership out of the way....family, career, etc...just hoping you can avoid having to give up an activity which you so obviously enjoy very much.

Don't give up on "adaptive" devices...perhaps the combination of a great seat, a 5 or 6 point harness to help you stay in driving position without exertion (maybe even have a HANS type device installed?), a back brace, extra padding, power steering, softer shocks and....well, you get the idea, there are plenty of sources out there for "adaptive seating", you might check out some of the local places where vans are outfitted for wheelchair-bound drivers.

There just has to be a better way than getting rid of a ride you so obviously relish!

Cheers!

Doug

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 09-12-2016 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: clarity