Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Need help with finding the correct fittings and hose for the oil cooler (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/138287-need-help-finding-correct-fittings-hose-oil-cooler.html)

mjhcobra 04-15-2017 11:40 AM

Need help with finding the correct fittings and hose for the oil cooler

I have read a number of posts regarding which fittings and hose were correct for the S/C and Comp cars, but most were at least 4 years old or older. Who supplies the hose and fittings currently that I can order from or get locally?

I have read about Aeroquip and Parker but do not know which ones are the ones to use.

I posted this on the Originality Forum and had 189 views with no comments. Hopefully somebody can provide a supplier for the current day items to plumb the oil cooler.

From what I have found so far, Aeroquip has 2 different steel "reusable" AN fitting types, but the finish is a little different between the two. Also, the cloth braided hose is available in a couple options. Star Lite seems to be the one of choice, but I need to know which fittings work with it.

Thanks,

Martin

spdbrake 04-15-2017 04:31 PM

While I can't attest to what is used on the Originals, I can tell you that The "AN" aka "reusable" aka "Nipple and cutter" fittings used on rubber lines all meet a MIL spec.
Meaning you can use Summit racing fittings in Aeroquip, or Russel, Earls, Jegs, Vibrant, etc....

As long as the rubber hose you want to use are compatible with your intended fluids and state will work with reusable fittings you should be fine.

mjhcobra 04-16-2017 09:52 PM

Thanks for the comments, but I was looking for the part numbers for the fittings. I have narrowed it down to the steel fittings from Aeroquip, but they offer 2 types - 100R5 series and the ones that you will find at Summit. The 100R5 have a silver finish while the Summit FBM series have a yellow or Dichromate finish. I have seen more of the FBM series used, probably because Summit and others sell them online. Parker has a series 30 that look similar with a silver finish but are harder to find. The corresponding hose is the next decision. The cloth wrapped hose is tough to find.

spdbrake 04-17-2017 05:12 AM

The 100R5 fittings are aimed at industrial type applications and Heavy equipment. Also they are steel and can rust once abraded or scratched.
Most of the manufactures offer clear (silver) fittings, nickel plated aluminum and Stainless steel.

Cloth covered hose been making a comeback as folks are moving away from tons of Chrome and polished underhood items and shooting for a functional no BS look.
https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/490110ERL

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/350010ERL

JEGS Performance Products 105003: Straight Max Flow Hose End -10AN | JEGS

Hose & Hard Line | JEGS

I have Earls swivel seal Stainless fittings and braided stainless cover hoses on my oil cooler - filter runs. But will probably swap to a cloth covered hose here in the near future. something like this...
Russell ProClassic Nylon Fiber Braided Hose | JEGS

If your set on the 100R5 series do a search for Hyd hose Heavy Equipment. Most cites will have at least 1-3 shops. Cloth covered hose is not popular with them, just rubber embedded cloth wrap weave.

Jim Vander Wal 04-17-2017 06:04 AM

Without seeing the cooler and the other pieces it would be hard to tell what is required. But to guess it's probably AN-10 but could be AN-8 or AN-12.

I use these guys.
BAT Inc A dealer for plumbing
BAT - MOCAL Oil Control Systems

Both of these links are from the BAT MOCAL site.

This is listed as ALUMINUM SWIVEL HOSE END FITTINGS
http://97.74.32.155/files/ahosend.pdf

THREAD SIZE CHART
http://97.74.32.155/files/tchart.pdf

There are many manufacturers. Aeroquip, Russells and others. I don't believe that Parker makes the aluminum fittings. I'm sure each has specifications on their sites. The AN designation is a specification and all manufacturer's products should connect to another's.

Jim

mjhcobra 04-17-2017 12:14 PM

Thanks for the info on the Aeroquip 100R5. They are a nice looking steel fitting, but a little on the Industrial side. I am leaning on the Aeroquip FBM series that you can get at Summit and they are steel with a light yellowish coating. The stainless fittings are out of my price range for -12AN fittings. The Russel Proclassic hose looks like it will work, but am still trying to find the cloth braided hose rather than the nylon braided hose. The small blue tracer in the Russel hose looks cool though.
I still have not found the aluminum fittings that were all silver with a coating of some kind. Most are blue, black, or red, or even silver and black.

spdbrake 04-17-2017 01:02 PM

The Jegs Nickel plated Alum are here
JEGS AN Hose End Fittings - Nickel | JEGS

Summit's
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...rder=Ascending

On the cloth covering I think I understand the style your after, typ called textile covered hose. Not shiny like the Poly weave ones are.
Problem is the ones I could find from Gates,Aeroquip,Parker all had a max working temp of 212F

FC647-12
Hose by Vendor | Aeroquip | Aeroquip FC647 Textile Braid Low Pressure Socketless Hose - Air and Multipurpose Hose
Teague Custom Marine - -12 FC647 CLOTH BRAID HOSE

Not saying it doesn't exist though.

lippy 04-20-2017 08:38 AM

I think they are AN-12 if I'm remembering correctly. I prefer Aeroquip. They assemble in a very "certain" way, are high-quality, and available in a great-looking silver color in nickel plate, steel, or aluminum (I don't like the blue and red ones).

mikeinatlanta 04-21-2017 05:57 AM

I'm not clear as to whether you are looking for matching what was original, or are looking for high quality cloth hose and fittings. I can't help with the original, but for any critical hose on my car it's one stop shopping at Fragola. In the case of oil system, their pushlock line with cloth hose fills the bill. Why are you going with steel rather than silver aluminum fitting? Oil system pressures are nowhere near high enough to warrant steel.

The full Fragola line is available at Summit, but it does cost a bit more than their generic junk.

mikeinatlanta 04-21-2017 06:02 AM

Another note: While most of the AN side of connectors may meet Mil-Spec, the hose side is more often unique to the manufacturer. On many brands, the hose side of the fitting is specific to one particular hose. While the hard line is no issue, on hose it is prudent to always use the same brand of fitting and hose.

mjhcobra 04-27-2017 09:35 PM

I don't care for the red and blue finishes and silver hoses. From what I have found, the original cars had black hoses with raw steel fittings with possibly a coating. The Aeroquip FBM series fittings are a close match and the radius on the bends look close as well. The hose that works with these fittings is what I am unsure of.