Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   WEBERS or EMPI, 48IDA (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/139574-webers-empi-48ida.html)

CompClassics 10-27-2017 08:55 PM

WEBERS or EMPI, 48IDA

I am curious if anyone on the CC forum has had the chance to try out the new Empi version of the 48IDA? I know that they have added a third progression hole and increased the float bowl size. Looking for some feedback and or comparisons.

peterpjb 10-28-2017 08:15 AM

the question is: is anybody running 48 ida's without the third hole?
according to my recent research most of the weber shops offering new 48 ida's "modified ", which means with an added third hole, and all the shops here in Germany restoring Ford engines won't install any elder 48 ida without adding that third hole

CompClassics 10-28-2017 09:20 AM

Peter,

That's an interesting observation. I know in the US market that the new Weber retailers do not sell their Weber branded 48IDAs with the modification, nor have they mentioned it being offered when being purchased. I have recently installed three different conversions, two big block (FE) systems and one small block (289) system and all of the Weber branded IDAs were lacking a third progression hole modification nor was I advised by the retailer that it should be done. On another note the Webers (Italian made) that I have on my personal car have not been modified with the third progression hole.

Peter, thank you for your input.

byronpete21 10-28-2017 09:57 AM

It figures, I just got my new set of Webers a few days ago. Now I find out that there is a newer version available. It's like buying a new I phone. ;)

*13* 10-28-2017 10:31 AM

No 3rd hole here.

peterpjb 10-28-2017 11:45 AM

in the us, redline is selling the 48 ida's modified

WEBER Carburetors distributed by Redline : Ford V8Proline Performance

CompClassics 10-28-2017 12:35 PM

Thank you for the update, Peter

CompClassics 10-28-2017 12:38 PM

I am at a loss as to why Weber does not make this a standard feature on the new Webers if the third progression hole makes that much of a difference in the carbs drivability? It would be nothing more than an additional machining operation.

Gaz64 10-28-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CompClassics (Post 1431878)
I am at a loss as to why Weber does not make this a standard feature on the new Webers if the third progression hole makes that much of a difference in the carbs drivability? It would be nothing more than an additional machining operation.

Fully agree.

Considering you can get DCOEs with 3, 4 or 5 hole progression.

CompClassics 10-29-2017 01:15 PM

My thoughts too.

I would still be interested in hearing and feedback from anyone running the Empi versions. I believe that they are a little more expensive than the Weber counterpart.

*13* 10-29-2017 05:30 PM

I don’t have any drivability issues. A choke system would be more beneficial than progression holes.

Gaz64 10-29-2017 08:50 PM

The EMPI comes with 3rd hole progression and larger fuel bowl capacity, as the major differences.

If a 2 hole progression IDA runs well enough without the dreaded "flatspot" then, the carb is probably a restriction to topend, small venturi 37 from factory.
An early starting main system with a small venturi might cover up the "flatspot" that many complain about when they end up with 40mm plus venturis.

Karl Bebout 10-30-2017 09:08 AM

Why not just go with the IDFs? Don't they have better drivability and I don't understand the benefit of IDAs, unless the car is an all out racer.

1985 CCX 10-30-2017 10:37 AM

Mine are circa 1994
No third hole here...,

CompClassics 10-30-2017 12:45 PM

Let's stick with the comparison at hand please, this could go completely sideways otherwise.