Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Jag XKE Rear "Traction" Bar Ideas? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/140762-jag-xke-rear-traction-bar-ideas.html)

Jim Coleman 04-11-2018 04:02 PM

Jag XKE Rear Trailing Arm Ideas?

I'm looking for ideas to replace the original "traction bars" (trailing arms) on my XKE rear end in my Arntz.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31...psez1ozpvd.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

Grubby 04-11-2018 04:43 PM

ERA uses rectangular tubing with different ends. You can see pictures on their web page.

John

Jim Coleman 04-11-2018 08:31 PM

Thanks, John

I thought about doing mine their way.

Jim

Morris 04-11-2018 08:40 PM

What is the issue??

Is there a problem that you are not satisfied with??

Jim Coleman 04-11-2018 08:53 PM

No problems, no issues --

Just don't like the looks of the original trailing arms.

Thanks,

Jim

MOTORHEAD 04-12-2018 05:27 AM

Jim : Looks like you have a nice, well lit shop !
You didn't steal that rear end from that E-type in the background did you ?
What Grubby said, can't go wrong duplicating what ERA does. Or use round tube with heim joint ends instead of square.
What's the story on the E ?

Ted

Jim Coleman 04-12-2018 06:07 AM

Ted,

The photo came off the internet, wish my garage looked like that !

I have an Arntz; don't own a Jag.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Coleman 04-12-2018 07:33 PM

Today I built 2 bars out of 7/8" solid bar stock, and added heim joints to both ends;
one with right hand thread and one with left hand thread on each bar. I made them 18"
long with a bracket that will attach to the frame. They remind me of the old Cal Track traction bars from yesterday.

Can anyone post a photo of their bars like this so I can see how the frame mount should fit? I need to see how the bars look with the weight of the car making the swing axles straighten out. As it is, with no weight on them they are droopy. I can't tell anything from a drawing.

Thanks.

Jim

Snake2998 04-12-2018 08:15 PM

One of the neatest ideas I have seen on here are mini Watts linkeages mounted fore and aft on with center pivot the top of the Hub carriers.

Jim Coleman 04-14-2018 05:45 PM

I kept the bars simple so I could build them.

Ended up removing the coilovers and jacked up the wishbones so I could see how much
travel was needed, and got one side mounted today.

Got both sides done now, but didn't think the original coilover mounts I cut out of the cage were strong enough.

So, I rebuilt them out of 1/4" and I think that will hold up better.

Thanks,

Jim

Gaz64 04-17-2018 11:28 PM

That lower trailing arm is so the rear doesn't twist itself up under load.

I can't see how you can heim joint both ends of the lower arm, unless you add an upper trailing arm as well.

Gary

DanEC 04-18-2018 05:22 AM

One thing ERA does is mount the jag differential in a cage that has two mounting bolts at the top to the frame and allow the cage to pivot or swing fore and aft slightly. That allows the cage to "adjust itself" slightly as the axles and radius rods/traction rods cycle up and down with the lower control arms. Their radius rods are also threaded which allow a small bit of adjustment of the wheel placement in the wheel wells and of the differential yoke angle (side benefits).

joyridin' 04-18-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz64 (Post 1442699)
That lower trailing arm so the rear doesn't twist itself up under load.

I can't see how you can heim joint both ends of the lower arm, unless you add an upper trailing arm as well.

Gary

That should not matter. That trailing arm is mounted in the front of the lower control arm. All it does is hold the lower control arm from being bent back should you hit a pot hole or something.

Mine has the trailing arm coming from the rear to the outside fulcrum shaft. It has heim joints at both ends.

Tom Kirkham 04-18-2018 03:40 PM

Check out the rear suspension modifications on this XKE. Predator Performance makes very fast Jags.

1961 Jaguar XKE Lightweight-Style Racecar

FatBoy 04-19-2018 05:50 AM

I think the key to making the trailing links work is to have the forward heim joint on exactly the same axis as the inner suspension arm pivots as on the XKE that Tom linked to. Otherwise the suspension arms and trailing links are both swinging in unmatched arcs and the suspension with either bind, or something will have to give, neither of which you want.

Paul