Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Garage Floor Jack Recomendations (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141190-garage-floor-jack-recomendations.html)

Blas 07-10-2018 07:19 AM

Garage Floor Jack Recomendations

I know this has been covered before but I can't seen to search for it successfully...... I an looking to replace my rolling floor jack and looking for some recommendations from the CC collective..
Something lighter than my really old steel Sears unit - so probably aluminum.... and something that lowers the car a bit slower if possible, not like a magicians stage trap door opening.
I have seen what Harbor Freight has to offer, while some are nice looking, I have never heard any good reviews (or experience) on most everything they sell... but open-minded.
Jack portability is not requirement but a lighter and smaller footprint can only be a plus in the long run. And no plans to be jacking semi's down the road, so capacity only need to lift the fiberglass car. And I don't lift the car from differential housing so extended reach is not required.
Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance....
Blas

Danr55 07-10-2018 07:55 AM

Napa sells a small blue floor jack that works well and goes under the car. The handle breaks down and the whole thing will fit in the boot.

HI Cobra 07-10-2018 08:02 AM

I have had 2 small aluminum and one larger aluminum Harbor Freight jacks for
a number of years with no issues. They frequently have sales so you should be able to get the small one for < $75. app 3 1/2" to 17" reach. I always use a
small wood block, if possible, to avoid scratching or possible slippage so I don't have metal on metal.

Kit Coyle 07-10-2018 08:38 AM

I have the small aluminum floor jack and it's ok. I carry a small Honda
scissor jack as recommended by ERA. I got rid of the jack operating rod
and welded a nut to the jack where the rod inserts and now carry a 3/8"
socket extension bar 18" long and a 3/8" ratchet in the trunk. It is a bit
easier to use the little scissor jack and it is dead reliable.

Unique427 07-10-2018 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kit Coyle (Post 1447983)
I have the small aluminum floor jack and it's ok. I carry a small Honda
scissor jack as recommended by ERA. I got rid of the jack operating rod
and welded a nut to the jack where the rod inserts and now carry a 3/8"
socket extension bar 18" long and a 3/8" ratchet in the trunk. It is a bit
easier to use the little scissor jack and it is dead reliable.

AC Delco 2 Ton Scissor Jack 341111 has a 3/4" drive hex on it.

Just put 3/4" socket with a couple long extensions on ratchet and GTG.

Lift up to 13" with minimal effort

twobjshelbys 07-10-2018 01:03 PM

Get the low profile aluminum jack from Harbor Freight.

HF has a "reputation" for being cheap, and in some things they are, but this jack is excellent. My friend that worked on my Cobra has a shop and got two of them. He also restores cars and uses them alot because they are also light.

Unique427 07-10-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1447992)
Get the low profile aluminum jack from Harbor Freight.

HF has a "reputation" for being cheap, and in some things they are, but this jack is excellent. My friend that worked on my Cobra has a shop and got two of them. He also restores cars and uses them alot because they are also light.

HF has both ends of the quality spectrum.
I have found their 3 Ton Daytona Super Duty to be excellent.
Copied from the Snap-On FJ300 for 1/3 the cost.
3-3/4" flat to 23-1/8" and a long 50" handle.
Built sturdy and all steel so it's not light (103bls).

joyridin' 07-10-2018 05:05 PM

I have a HF jack I bought 25 years ago and it still works great. I beat the living hell out of it and never added a drop of oil. I bought another one about 5 years ago and it has been great also. My brother and Dad have them with no problems.

HF makes some shady tools, but their jacks seems to work great!

1795 07-10-2018 07:03 PM

Blas,

I have purchased two HF aluminum race jacks. The lighter duty one works fine, but does not have a very high lift. The low profile heavy duty one is great. It is the right height to get under the cobra, is light weight and has a nice lift. No complaints at all about it.

Jim

Blas 07-10-2018 07:27 PM

Looks like I will need to revisit the HF jack options.... thanks all.

DanEC 07-10-2018 07:48 PM

I second the aluminum HF jack. I also like their aluminum jack stands. I bought the saddle pads to go with them.

520SC 07-10-2018 10:43 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Powerzone-380...ton+floor+jack

I have two of these. They're terrific.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

ront49 07-11-2018 05:14 AM

Jacks

I have a twenty + year aluminum 2 1/2 ton from HF that still works great and doesn't leak down. I also just purchased a FAST JACK.
Got the 7,000lb. so I could use it on my truck but it's still small enough to fit under the Cobra and Vette with no issues. I'd recommend this jack/lift to anyone who doesn't have room for a "regular" lift. :D

RockBit 07-11-2018 06:07 AM

I have thiss jack from HF. Works great.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ump-62516.html

Sawdust 07-11-2018 06:11 AM

Blas
I have great floor jack from Napa. It's the low profile version. It fits right under the Cobra front and back. Sorry I don't have a part number.

Back2lemans 07-11-2018 09:01 AM

The last jack I purchased came from Costco a few years ago. I got the Arcan hybrid 2.5T aluminum/steel HJ2500. Works great for all my vehicles including the SUVS. In my opinion, Costco has a much better return policy than HF should you have any issues.

CSX 4133 07-11-2018 10:12 AM

I need a jack with a low front and longest reach for various low profile cars, I chose the Arcan XL 2T. 24" maximum lifting height and dual piston action for controlled lifts.

https://www.floorjackshop.com/the-be...jack-reviewed/