Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   COB 5998 What is the real history? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141294-cob-5998-what-real-history.html)

Moto One 08-09-2018 05:32 PM

COB 5998 What is the real history?

Anyone know anything about COB5998 for sale. Dose the history sound right?

1964 Ford 289 Shelby Cobra

Just curious.

Mark.

xb-60 08-09-2018 06:55 PM

If that car is a genuine COB car, then its number, 5998, has been quoted incorrectly.
COB/COX cars' numbers start with 60xx ....so don't know what the story is on this one. The seller quotes from the Registry, but doesn't show an ID plate.

Cheers,
Glen

LMH 08-09-2018 08:08 PM

The ACOC site says the car is recognized by the club as a replica, completed in 1995.
Larry

ALF 08-10-2018 12:02 AM

From my point of view the old pictures are not related to the black car.
-> Oil Cooler opening

It is a nice car but as confirmed by LMH not "old" as many little details are OK but not period correct.

peterpjb 08-10-2018 02:29 AM

as I understand the "Fantasyjunction" advertisment the car is based on this chassis (?) lhd/rhd, who knows...

http://i68.tinypic.com/16m0b4.jpg

joyridin' 08-10-2018 04:42 AM

I thought their description was pretty odd. There was no actual car. Only a show frame with running gear. If it was anything, it was probably a T-bucket if the article is correct.

What a story nonetheless!

Moto One 08-13-2018 10:12 AM

Thanks all, I stay a way from it.

Mark.

1985 CCX 08-13-2018 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the book statement

xb-60 01-14-2020 11:29 PM

OK, not a current thread, but of some interest maybe...

This car (...I think it's the same car) is currently for available at BAT, described as "No Reserve: 1964 AC 289 Show Chassis Cobra".

Part of the description states The car is titled in California under chassis number C0B5998, which uses a zero as the second digit rather than the letter “O.”

Cheers,
Glen

edit: current bid is $251k

1985 CCX 01-15-2020 12:39 PM

I was in until $150, its really a neat car but it sold for $400k + commish.
Again great car but really not a COB and the ACOC realization is on point.

twobjshelbys 01-15-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985 CCX (Post 1470925)
I was in until $150, its really a neat car but it sold for $400k + commish.
Again great car but really not a COB and the ACOC realization is on point.

Apparently the owner bought it, negating the auction. He'll pay fees on both ends though.

moore_rb 01-15-2020 08:45 PM

I know it's a common practice to drop a buy-back bid when a live auction doesn't meet your lopsided impression of what your "was never a Cobra, just a static chassis display piece" might be worth, but still- Total dick-move.

The Internet never forgets.. I imagine anyone out there who might have actually been interested in the car might think twice now about entering into a 6-figure deal with a shyster...

I said it in my BAT comment: the car was cooler as a Cobra-chassis T-bucket, anyway...:cool:

HealeyRick 01-25-2020 12:00 PM

Boy, did that auction go south in a hurry! Despite a few questions raised in the auction comments, I was never able to figure out how this car got to be titled as a "1964 Ford" and with an "assigned" number that was "chosen". This just doesn't seem to be in line with what I've read about how the state of California does business. Anybody have any ideas?