Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Relays (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141659-relays.html)

rodneym 11-05-2018 09:38 AM

Relays

Went to C&C last Saturday and my Fuel Pump relay went wonky.
The 'REC' ones lasted between 7-9 years.

What are you guys using for relays? I know the yellow box Bosch (German/Austrian) relays are good but their new ones are Chinese, not to mention no-name brands. And some even have a big ugly tab on them.

Also, there are 'double throw' relays. Do our cars use those? I suppose I could look at the wiring to see but that makes my neck hurt :p

patrickt 11-05-2018 11:49 AM

Just wire two relays in parallel for redundancy in case one fails.;) That's really easy to do, not like my pusher fan project.:p

Blas 11-05-2018 12:08 PM

The real advantage to the addition of a relay for the fuel pump is to make the power wire for the pump as short as possible and not needing a large gauge wire running from the rear of the car to the dash and then back. A simple on/off relay is all you really need. Mount the relay in a base mount and carry a spare if you like. I have mine in the trunk. Maybe 3’ of wire total. I took power from the batteries maintenance cutoff switch terminal which is also mounted in the trunk. Use your existing dash mounted pump switch to energize the relay.
Blas

rodneym 11-05-2018 02:31 PM

Pat - Where's Chas when you need him?

Blas (not to be confused with Chas) - I appreciate the suggestion but I'm going the keep the wiring stock.

I opening the failed relay. Looked fine (no scoring). Tested fine. But replacing definitely did the trick.

rodneym 11-06-2018 08:50 AM

Correction, new Bosch relays are made in Portugal.
There are TYCO (Chinese) made relays that sometimes get sold as Bosch (so I've read).
The 0332109150 that Summit sells is the Portuguese Bosch, if anyone cares.

Blas 11-06-2018 12:51 PM

Why would I be confused with Chas?

FYI: You don't really need to cut any wires just add a small loop.

Blas

rodneym 11-06-2018 01:07 PM

I guess that was my lame attempt at some name rhyme humor.

cycleguy55 11-06-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1453566)
Just wire two relays in parallel for redundancy in case one fails.;) That's really easy to do, not like my pusher fan project.:p

I installed relays in parallel when my old cooling fan relay quit. Peace of mind. Now I'm far less worried about watching my coolant temperature gauge climbing to 250°F. Again.

patrickt 11-06-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1453624)
I installed relays in parallel when my old cooling fan relay quit. Peace of mind. Now I'm far less worried about watching my coolant temperature gauge climbing to 250°F. Again.

If rodneym would just listen to me his life would be infinitely easier and more manageable. :cool: