Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Cobra shifter for TKO (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141663-cobra-shifter-tko.html)

AC Ventura 11-06-2018 12:54 AM

Cobra shifter for TKO

Hi guys. Referring to the reverse Mustang typical Cobra shifter, can anybody confirm whether this is straight compared to the 2 hole trans mount? I’m the pix they seem to be angled towards the driver, which will be a problem for me as my build is rhd. Also are they available without the non functioning reverse lift thing, or can it be invisibly removed? Thanks.

Ron61 11-06-2018 03:04 AM

I am not sure what you mean by straight but the handle itself isn't bent. As for disabling the reverse T handle that is easy but why would you want to? I had them in a couple of cars and liked them as you can't accidentally try to put it in reverse. But to disable it, there is a cable that goes down inside the handle so all you have to do is disconnect that cable. I had to replace one that broke once and it was no big job.

Ron

cobrakiwi 11-06-2018 03:41 AM

There are nice polished stainless shifters that are copies of the original with a non functioning tee handle.

I would start with one of those.

Then you can make up a new mounting tab, cut the shifter and weld it to the mount in the postion you like.

I have done this on a couple of cars with no problems.

I did this exact thing with this car to put the shifter handle exactly where we wanted it.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...d-5-speed.html

cobrakiwi 11-06-2018 03:50 AM

Not sure about shifters without the tee handle, but would not surprise me one bit if they are out there.

On the polished stainless shiffers I have, it would be no problem to remove the tee handle and replace it with a piece of polished stainless tube.

I think you could also make your own shifter if your not wanting the tee handle.
Get some stainless rod, thread one end for the knob, bend, weld mounting tab where needed then polish.

RockBit 11-06-2018 09:07 AM

The one I have came from ERA and is significantly angled toward the driver for left hand drive. I don’t know if this is typical, but I suspect it is.

strictlypersonl 11-06-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockBit (Post 1453610)
The one I have came from ERA and is significantly angled toward the driver for left hand drive. I don’t know if this is typical, but I suspect it is.

We just try to duplicate the original car's look. We make the lever in house, and have since the 1990s. We can even make one with a functional lockout, but haven't sold one in years.