Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Headers? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/141833-headers.html)

ront49 12-23-2018 05:50 AM

Headers?

Are there any other companies besides Iconic that sell headers for Cobra's?
I have a BackDraft with a 351, "slip on" side pipes that are held on with springs.... Rattle, rattle, rattle. Weld on flanges would be the next step, just don't have anyone around that I'd trust.

Ron61 12-23-2018 06:00 AM

Ron,

You might check with Kerry Peterson and Richard Sanders in Omaha. They are both car nuts and mechanics and do a lot of their own work. If worst came to worst they may be able to custom build you a set of headers that will be what you want.

Ron

joyridin' 12-23-2018 06:47 AM

https://www.gpheaders.com/products/cobra-kit-headers/

Dwight 12-23-2018 07:32 AM

you can buy a tail pipe expander and adjust the diameter of the pipes till they are tighter. I had to do that on my GT 40 bundle of snake pipes.

I have installed flanges on a few slip type side pipes. It's not that hard if you can weld.
I like to use 1/4" plate (5/16" is better) about 6" x 6". Use a hole saw to cut the holes for the pipes. Drill four to six holes for clamping the two plates together. One in each corner and maybe a couple in the middle. The thicker plate requires fewer bolts to clamp together.
Remove the headers and side pipes from the car. Bolt them together and pick a place where you can cut both the header pipe and side pipe into. Remember to check to make sure your new plate will not interfere with anything.
A Port-A-Band is a great tool for this part. Cutting through all four tube (eight pipes) you will remove 1/2" of pipe length for the two flange plates.

Clamp the flange plates in place and tack weld to the pipes. Remove and finish your welds inside and out.
I buy laminated aluminum sheet from McMaster Carr to make gaskets. They work better for me especially if the plates are warped.

Dwight 12-23-2018 07:36 AM

you are 400 miles away but I could do it if you want to bring the Cobra to me.

Dwight

ront49 12-23-2018 12:07 PM

a littte far

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight (Post 1455607)
you are 400 miles away but I could do it if you want to bring the Cobra to me.

Dwight

Thanks for the offer Dwight!

Dwight 12-24-2018 06:41 AM

the tail pipe expander will take the rattle out. You can borrow one from the parts store.
Takes a couple of hours maybe.

ront49 12-25-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight (Post 1455648)
the tail pipe expander will take the rattle out. You can borrow one from the parts store.
Takes a couple of hours maybe.

Good idea .... thanks ....

BAsque1 12-30-2018 04:28 AM

Ron Roberts at Specializing in Superformance after market
you cannot go wrong, great experience

ront49 01-12-2019 06:24 AM

Expander

Quote:

Originally Posted by ront49 (Post 1455696)
Good idea .... thanks ....

Tried the expander but the metal is so hard the amount of expansion was at best minimal. Not nearly enough to make a tight fit. I used a good quality expander and even with an 18" ratchet it wasn't enough. Maybe if I removed the headers and used a hydraulic expander I could achieve better results.

cycleguy55 01-12-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ront49 (Post 1456572)
Tried the expander but the metal is so hard the amount of expansion was at best minimal. Not nearly enough to make a tight fit. I used a good quality expander and even with an 18" ratchet it wasn't enough. Maybe if I removed the headers and used a hydraulic expander I could achieve better results.

Did you try using an impact wrench instead of the ratchet?

studebaker53 01-12-2019 06:56 PM

Weld the header collector to the sidepipe and be done with it. The slip on will always leak some no matter how tight you get it. Nothing worse than a exhaust leak, hiss, puff & rattle.

spdbrake 01-12-2019 07:49 PM

Two of these clamps per side should take care of it.

42MM (1.615") Headers should be 1 5/8" or 1.625"
https://www.europaparts.com/exhaust-...91253141a.html

or 45mm (1.77") for the sidepipe slipover area to header primarys
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/378...mp-45mm-45X95/

Don't know which one will work for your setup.

ront49 01-13-2019 08:29 AM

Impact?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cycleguy55 (Post 1456605)
Did you try using an impact wrench instead of the ratchet?

I didn't consider the impact ... not sure "I" could control it sufficiently. Might try that as a last resort. Thanks, Ron

Tom Wells 01-13-2019 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There's another way of joining exhaust pipes that I used on my Zephyr's exhaust system: V-band clamps

They work really well in confined spaces - even where flanges are too big to fit - and have been on the car for many track sessions and over 13K street miles.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the exhaust setup on your car, so this may or may not work!

Here's a picture:

ront49 01-13-2019 01:03 PM

headers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wells (Post 1456638)
There's another way of joining exhaust pipes that I used on my Zephyr's exhaust system: V-band clamps

They work really well in confined spaces - even where flanges are too big to fit - and have been on the car for many track sessions and over 13K street miles.

Having said that, I'm not familiar with the exhaust setup on your car, so this may or may not work!

Here's a picture:

neat idea ... My headers are four individual tubes that go into four tubes on the side pipes. They're really close together so ....
Thanks, Ron