Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Anyone paint their spinners (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/142532-anyone-paint-their-spinners.html)

lvictores 07-06-2019 07:45 AM

Anyone paint their spinners

I would like to paint the spinners with either powdercoating or might try superwrap. Does anybody have any experience doing this and how did you tighten the spinners w/o damaging the new color. Thanks

CSX3183 07-06-2019 08:35 PM

On original 427 Cobra's, the knock off's were Gold in color. I simply masked up the whole area, and sprayed with a rattle can, very simple to do, don't over think the situation. I would spray them once a year, and of course if they were hammered off for any reason, then a re spray was in order.

undy 07-07-2019 03:56 AM

Waste of time, effort and money... Polish them and forget it.

Ron Scarboro 07-07-2019 06:43 AM

I put a little red on the right hand and a little blue on the left. Keeps them straight in my mind.

Jim Vander Wal 07-07-2019 07:15 AM

You could anodize them. Best if they are forged rather than cast as the process looks better with forgings.

Down side is most anodizers have a minimum charge and not all do colors. The one I use has a minimum of$350.

What about painting the relief on each wing? This section doesn't get hit with the lead hammer. Would add some color and help ID R/L. I played with this concept and liked it.

Jim

Lou1119 07-07-2019 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal (Post 1464101)
You could anodize them. Best if they are forged rather than cast as the process looks better with forgings.

Down side is most anodizers have a minimum charge and not all do colors. The one I use has a minimum of$350.

What about painting the relief on each wing? This section doesn't get hit with the lead hammer. Would add some color and help ID R/L. I played with this concept and liked it.

Jim

I did the same on the reliefs and it des look good and is durable.

Shizznizz 07-07-2019 10:21 PM

I had mine painted black, had a good few sessions with a mallet/hammer, and not a single chip yet.
Used gunkote black, a product by Kalgard, which is extremely impact resistant. Baked on at 250degC like powdercoat.

AZCobra12 07-10-2019 05:20 PM

Hard Anodize is the way to go for several reasons. First it does not gall the spinner to the wheel even with little Never-Seeze. The hard anodize is much harder than the base aluminum and acts as dissimilar metals to the wheel and threads. Second it is an aging process that oxidizes the base aluminum, it will not flake off even beating it with a lead hammer consistently. It is a gray color on the billet spinners I have but can be dyed black. Cost for doing 4 can be $75-100 and is the minimum charge for most anodizing shops.

cycleguy55 07-12-2019 09:10 AM

Spinners are small enough to fit in a common plastic bucket. You can anodize these yourself and instructions are widely available online. Yes, you need to deal with acids, but what's life without a little risk?