Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Louisiana DMV (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/142662-louisiana-dmv.html)

MOTORHEAD 08-12-2019 05:29 PM

Louisiana DMV

Looking to title/register my Cobra in Louisiana, Orleans parish. Need info on what I need to do it, but can't get through to state or local offices.
Any info from locals would be helpful.
TIA
Ted
ps I've been all over the website, but doesn't address my questions.

efrost 08-12-2019 05:58 PM

It been about 15 year now but as I recall the Louisiana State Police required proof of insurance, title in hand and to schedule an inspection. At the time the LSP inspections were by appointment only and basically what they wanted to do is verify the VIN. It took more time chatting with the trooper than it did to verify the VIN. This is to obtain a LA title.

I cannot help with getting an Orleans Parish inspection sticker though as I live in Jefferson.

Hope this helps.

Hotrod46 08-13-2019 07:35 AM

The main state office is in Baton Rouge at the State Police compound. While I have not been through the process with a Cobra, I have been through it with a kit car, 2 street rods and a combined title truck.

I found that it was easier to just go to the compund and sit in front of the people that would ultimatley be handling the process. You can't just walk in. You have to get a photo pass to get past the front desk, but it's no big deal.

They will tell what flaming hoops you have to jump through to get what you need. Once you have completed their checklist of inspections and paperwork, it's all about the money and how much you owe. Hard to say what rules apply now as they will tell you that the rules are constantly changing and/or being rewritten. You need current info. Local offices often don't know how to deal with specialty vehicles and have to constaantly refer back to the State office. Might as well have yourself some hassel and bypass them.

Sorry that this is my first post. I've been lurking around for a while learning what I can to apply to a sports car project I'm working on. Not a Cobra. Thought I might be able to help. Yes, I do live in Louisiana.

Edit: Opps, I see it's my second post!

MOTORHEAD 08-13-2019 10:03 AM

Thanks guys, I'll try to contact the state police and see what they can tell me.

dacobb 08-13-2019 03:43 PM

New Orleans? Grease the palms and you'll be home free.

RB60 08-15-2019 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORHEAD (Post 1465539)
Thanks guys, I'll try to contact the state police and see what they can tell me.

You might want to contact your state representative's office.
They helped me get my Cobra titled as a 1965 Ford Convertible
here in PA.

MOTORHEAD 08-15-2019 09:39 AM

Was able to get thru to LSP & get days of inspections, but unable to get a person on the phone at either state or local DMV office , they have the phones set up to give a prerecorded menu, and if you find a likely option, all you get is a message "due to high call volume we can't take your call, goodby "
I'll try one of the title/reg for a fee places.