Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Shipping mini cooper (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/142769-shipping-mini-cooper.html)

427SSSS 09-11-2019 08:11 AM

Shipping mini cooper
 
The guy I'm buying mini Cooper from said he had it shipped to him using pod. What a great idea! $400.00. So I'm setting up to use pod to ship to me.

After my last ordeal shipping cobra and chassis from Virginia to Calif at cost of $1100.00, next cobra I ship will be by pod if this mini shipment works out.

Wayne

cycleguy55 09-11-2019 09:16 PM

'pod'? What's a pod?

RB60 09-12-2019 02:13 AM

How would you tie down a car in one of those things?
Are the contents insured enough to cover an accident?

427SSSS 09-12-2019 06:27 AM

Pod(s) are similar to shipping containers,when I moved from Calif to texas, I used 3 pods to transport household goods, worked perfect. Actually they are a shipping container. Just nicer looking than standard metal train/truck shipping containers. There a several companies that rent pods.

You can purchase insurance for pod contents, pods I used had tie downs, one could also use chalks to stabilize car.

427SSSS 09-12-2019 06:56 AM

Well it turns out the seller of the mini on mini mania is an asshole!

I posted on mini site that I would take the car, we exchanged emails where, again I wrote I'd take the mini.

We talked on phone, where, again I said Id take the mini, and last sentences were: he would email me bank info so I could do bank money transfer, and six hours after phone conversation, he sends me email, sorry, I sold car to guy that lives 3 blocks away! What a rude asshole!!!

So, I posted on mini mania site, what an ass this guy is, and he deleted his ad and my posts!!!

Heres his info from ad on mini mania so I advise to avoid this guy, he's not a man of his word.



Price:US $2,500
UserName:BMCleyland
Location:Lumberton
State:NC
Country:United States
Year:1966
Make:Austin
Model:Mini
Body Style:Sedan
Motor:998cc
Transmission:4-Speed Manual
Body Color:White
Ad Type:Mini
Created on:Sep 07, 2019
Modified on:Sep 11, 2019
Other Ads:None

t walgamuth 09-13-2019 05:21 PM

Sorry you were disappointed.

But a deal is not done in my mind until purchase terms are defined in writing and money has been exchanged. Up til then it is all hypothetical, IMHO.

I have done many deals with less but I don't count on it until then....actually don't count on it until I take delivery of the car.

Best of luck on your next deal.;)

427SSSS 09-15-2019 06:42 AM

I've always thought a man's word good enough! We had a man's agreement, 30 years ago, that would've meant something.

At least, that's the way I was raised, a man's word is his bond, a "handshake" meant something....I guess things have gone downhill since then. IMHO

I've sold a few things, and if a man told me he was going to purchase, by phone, email, face to face, or carrier pigion, I sold to him, even if someone else stepped in and offered me twice the price. When I give my word, make a verbal agreement, I don't renege, my word means something, at least to me.

BTW found a better deal, 1275 cc, Calif registered, going to pick up in Sacramento thursday��

joyridin' 09-15-2019 08:36 AM

A lot has changed since the Internet. I cannot tell you how many times I was selling an item and somebody told me they would buy it or was on the way to get it and never showed. I sold a tractor for my Dad some years ago. A guy called me 3 times saying he was on his way and never showed. Then he got po'd when he called the 4th time and I told him it was gone. Of course he claimed he was on the way with a trailer for the 4th time.

I do not wait for anybody anymore. First guy that shows with cash gets the item.

427SSSS 09-15-2019 10:16 AM

Internet has nothing to do with it, when I give a man my word, that's it, unless or untill I hear diffetent. Your example, not sure how I would have handled it, after 2nd or 3rd no show, I probably given him an exact cut off time when tractor would be back up for sale.
To each each his own, I will continue to take a man at his word untill he defalts, thats just me.
I spoke with first seller at 9:00am, he was to text/email his bank info and I would send him bank transfer immediatly. Instead, I get an email 6 hrs later saying he sold to neighbor. Had he done as we agreed, he could have had his$$$ 5 hrs before he told me he sold it.

I have contractor scheduled to place concrete slab tomorrow for shop extension, if he does not show, I will fire him, and ask the he come pick up his three pieces of equipment. One chance, no second chances.

How others act, buyers or sellers does not, will not change how I act, I will continue to take a man at his word, give mine, and if he does not act like a man and keep to his word, I'll avoid him, and then I'll deal with the next person as I have all my life. Give my word and accept his.

t walgamuth 09-15-2019 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427SSSS (Post 1466736)
I've always thought a man's word good enough! We had a man's agreement, 30 years ago, that would've meant something.

At least, that's the way I was raised, a man's word is his bond, a "handshake" meant something....I guess things have gone downhill since then. IMHO

I've sold a few things, and if a man told me he was going to purchase, by phone, email, face to face, or carrier pigion, I sold to him, even if someone else stepped in and offered me twice the price. When I give my word, make a verbal agreement, I don't renege, my word means something, at least to me.

BTW found a better deal, 1275 cc, Calif registered, going to pick up in Sacramento thursday��

I agree but make no assumptions.

t walgamuth 09-15-2019 02:35 PM

I tell them the first person to show up with the $ gets it. You cannot depend on the word of a stranger.

joyridin' 09-15-2019 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1466746)
I tell them the first person to show up with the $ gets it. You cannot depend on the word of a stranger.

Yep. Unfortunately, that is the way it is these days. Sat home waiting for too many people that "gave their word".

In all fairness though, they were at the point of exchanging money, so one would assume that the car is as good as sold at that time, but who knows.

twobjshelbys 09-15-2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joyridin' (Post 1466748)
Yep. Unfortunately, that is the way it is these days. Sat home waiting for too many people that "gave their word".

In all fairness though, they were at the point of exchanging money, so one would assume that the car is as good as sold at that time, but who knows.

Me too. Money didn't show up when stated, someone else got it that did.

"As good as sold" is the same as "close", and close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and atomic bombs. When something is close, there is always an opportunity to be closer.

427SSSS 09-19-2019 06:34 AM

So, I'm definitely in the minority here, fine, been there before.

Funny, how things turn out, I still say this guy went back on his word and screwed me over.

But, two things:
First, his idea to ship a car in a pod, is a great idea, I just paid $1400 to box and ship a body and chassis from back east, had I heard about the pod idea, I could have saved a lot of money.

Second, the mini was back east, shipping cost, registering in Calif. 998cc.

When he sold the car out from under me, he actually did me a favor:
Two days later, I found a mini in Sacramento, Ca, registered in Ca., 1275cc!
I've already sent the money and will pick up Saturday.
I'd been looking for two years, wanted early 60s, RHD, so this second car is perfect!

Funny how things work out.....

t walgamuth 09-19-2019 04:40 PM

Remember...the Dude abides.;)

(the big Lebowski)

joyridin' 09-21-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 427SSSS (Post 1466842)
So, I'm definitely in the minority here, fine, been there before.

Funny, how things turn out, I still say this guy went back on his word and screwed me over.

But, two things:
First, his idea to ship a car in a pod, is a great idea, I just paid $1400 to box and ship a body and chassis from back east, had I heard about the pod idea, I could have saved a lot of money.

Second, the mini was back east, shipping cost, registering in Calif. 998cc.

When he sold the car out from under me, he actually did me a favor:
Two days later, I found a mini in Sacramento, Ca, registered in Ca., 1275cc!
I've already sent the money and will pick up Saturday.
I'd been looking for two years, wanted early 60s, RHD, so this second car is perfect!

Funny how things work out.....

No, you got screwed. We were just pointing out that it is far far more common for a person to say they have the money and are coming for the product and not show than your situation.

Glad you found something better. There is usually a reason for everything.

427SSSS 09-22-2019 01:11 PM

So, I have a couple of guys working here, Jacks of all trades, moving fences, building sheds, landscaping, irrigation, and I'm bull ****ting about selling trailer.
Mike says Ill buy it if I can find a place to put it, can you give me two or three days to find place? I say, sure, we shake hands.
Owner of concrete company that's placing slab for shop extension hears about selling trailer, that looks like model home, inside, not typical trailer says, I'll buy it, right now, pulls out his wallet and hands me cash, I say, NO, I gave my word to Mike, we shook hands, he has 2 or 3 days to buy it. Owner adds cash to pot, and says I want it now, I'll take it now, move it right now. I say, you didn't here me, I gave my word to mike.

Mike and I go on 13-1/2 hour road trip to pick up mini, he says, I have a place, but wont be available for 30 days, I say fine, ok, do you want to live in trailer for next 30 days, I've had 10 people ask to rent trailer, but I said no, I've spent a night or two in trailer myself when wife and I fighting. and friends have stayed the night when too drunk to drive home.

Those of us that lived in the 50s and 60s remember when a man's word, a handshake meant something, from the posts above, I guess that's not the case anymore. I refuse to accept that!

My word, my handshake means something to me. Maybe I'm stupid, na´ve, but that's who I am. I may have lost sale, and even more money than I was asking for, on the spot, he had cash in hand, last friday that's not the point, integrity is the point!I

MY WORD, MY HANDSHAKE MEANS SOMETHING! To me anyway.

427SSSS 09-22-2019 01:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
13-1/2 hour road trip to pick in 55 yr old 1964 mini Cooper S, 1275 C.C RHD


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
The representations expressed are the representations and opinions of the clubcobra.com forum members and do not necessarily reflect the opinions and viewpoints of the site owners, moderators, Shelby American, any other replica manufacturer, Ford Motor Company. This website has been planned and developed by clubcobra.com and its forum members and should not be construed as being endorsed by Ford Motor Company, or Shelby American or any other manufacturer unless expressly noted by that entity. "Cobra" and the Cobra logo are registered trademarks for Ford Motor Co., Inc. clubcobra.com forum members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyrighted material is owned by you. Although we do not and cannot review the messages posted and are not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we reserve the right to delete any message for any reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). Thank you for visiting clubcobra.com. For full policy documentation refer to the following link: