Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Wrecked BDR for parts (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143252-wrecked-bdr-parts.html)

spdbrake 02-15-2020 05:00 PM

Wrecked BDR for parts

Not mine, tg.

I came across this today. A 2014 California BDR with SB100.
Posted this in all Cobra talk because the Roush 427IR 8-stack is $24k new and not BDR specific.

It probably has a good TKO a
May have a LSD diff for those running an open rear.
Appears to have a heater and power steering.

Going up for auction soon.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/2372629.html

LudicrousSpeed 02-15-2020 05:19 PM

Engine looks to have taken damage from the body shifting or vice-versa. Would that be worth trying to rebuild or just too many variables to worry about?
:confused:

spdbrake 02-15-2020 05:55 PM

Its possible it does have severe damage. I can only see the tipped injector filter so yes it did move. Still a refresh (seals, rings, bearings), + a water pump + timing cover is a deal.

FredG 02-15-2020 07:31 PM

Ouch....Took a hard hit in the front. Hard enough to move the engine back. Something serious has to give for it to move that much.

Fred

spdbrake 02-15-2020 07:55 PM

I don't know how much force is would take to shear one of the BDR rubber engine mounts. They're washers and bolts encased in rubber. Typically under compression and tension from wgt/torq.
Not really designed for shear. The threads are M10-1.5
https://www.iconicparts.com/solid-mo...unts-1013.html

twobjshelbys 02-15-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spdbrake (Post 1471845)
Not mine, tg.

I came across this today. A 2014 California BDR with SB100.
Posted this in all Cobra talk because the Roush 427IR 8-stack is $24k new and not BDR specific.

It probably has a good TKO a
May have a LSD diff for those running an open rear.
Appears to have a heater and power steering.

Going up for auction soon.
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...a/2372629.html

With that front end damage I wouldn't touch that engine with a 10 foot pole. The engine moved back far enough that the drive shaft punched the rear differential too.

About the only salvageable part is the trunk lock.

Ever notice how "awful" cars always have the pictures taken with direct sunlight into the lens for maximum flare and lowest resolution possible?

RUFdriver 02-16-2020 02:09 PM

Pass. There’s not much left, maybe the seats...

redmt 02-21-2020 02:28 PM

Wrong color,, everything else should buff out.

MKS427 02-22-2020 09:11 AM

The 8 stack EFI and pin drive wheels MAY be salvageable.

redmt 02-22-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUFdriver (Post 1471880)
Pass. There’s not much left, maybe the seats...

Probably not. I would guess that at least one of them has some pretty bad stains.

RUFdriver 02-22-2020 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmt (Post 1472154)
Probably not. I would guess that at least one of them has some pretty bad stains.

Touché

Blue66 02-22-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1471858)
The engine moved back far enough that the drive shaft punched the rear differential too.

Tony did you see the car ? I didn't see undercar pics.

twobjshelbys 02-22-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue66 (Post 1472156)
Tony did you see the car ? I didn't see undercar pics.

Do you need to? Do you doubt the assertion? It's pretty simple solid body mechanics. if the middle of a solid body moves in a straight line 6" backwards, then the front and rear of that same solid body will also move. Look, I owned one of those 427IR and the throttle body wasnt ANYWHERE CLOSE to the cowling!!! There is major "punch" going on. I wouldn't waste my time on anything to do with this POS.

Cashburn 02-22-2020 12:58 PM

On a Backdraft the engine is set further back than other "makes". It helps achieve the 50.5 to 49.5 weight balance.

Buzz 02-22-2020 01:02 PM

Its possible that its more a case of the fiberglass body mounting points failing and allowing the body to slide forward on the chassis as opposed to the much stouter drivetrain mounts shearing and the engine and transmission being punched backwards. If you look at the wheels, you can see that the front and back tires are hitting the backs of the wheelwells. Also the steering column is sticking way back out of the dash.

I would also think any impact directly to the front hard enough push the drivetrain back in the chassis would've absolutely flattened the radiator into the front of the block. There's still a lot of space remaining between the relatively unflattened radiator and the front of the engine. Even the puke tank looks untouched.

Having said all that, I'd still only buy it with your money.;)