Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Anybody had Wheel Drive Pin Failure? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/143821-anybody-had-wheel-drive-pin-failure.html)

Snake2998 07-12-2020 03:30 AM

Anybody had Wheel Drive Pin Failure?

Following on from my thread re friction enhancers has anybody had failure of the drive pins despite proper clamping.

The question is asked to ascertain if 5 pins are inadequate and 6 pins are needed to guarantee non failure when spinners properly tight.

Grubby 07-12-2020 05:06 AM

I have never heard of pin failure.

Also, Indy champ cars have a similar set up with, I think, 6 pins.

Early Cobras had spline drive.

Pin failure is unlikely.

John

CompClassics 07-12-2020 08:52 AM

Original street configuration 260/289 Cobras used spline drive hubs, competition 260/289 Cobras used pin drive hubs with 6 pins per wheel.

Karl Bebout 07-12-2020 09:06 AM

I did have an issue that my pins were too long for the depth of the holes in the wheel. Fortunately, I was able to figure out the problem after some minor hogging out of the holes. One of those weird things that really had me scratching my head.

desgros@vtlink. 07-12-2020 09:09 AM

After owning a Lone Star and currently my ERA Slabside both with pin drive I've not experienced any problems or failures.

John
ERA #3010 Slabside 289 SB BRG

ERA 626 07-12-2020 09:40 AM

Had a 6 pin ERA for 17 years for 17 years no issues...

Jim Vander Wal 07-12-2020 12:00 PM

I've owned two Superformance cars and have experience with many other owners these were all 5-pin drive. Never a problem with properly installed pins breaking. Some of the cars ran track tires and 600-700 hp.

I've seen replacement pins that were not machined properly, others were too long or a bit short, but no issues.

One problem that does happen is owners don't remove the wheels periodically and have the wheels seize on the pins, silver anti-seize usually solves the problem. Then some don't get the spinners tightened properly, it does take a solid hit or two with a LEAD hammer and another hit after a few miles.

I wouldn't worry about 5 or 6 pins.

Jim

patrickt 07-12-2020 01:31 PM

With only 1400 lbs sitting on the back wheels, my old Yokos spin like they're on snow. I think I could get by on three pins, much less six.:LOL:

desgros@vtlink. 07-12-2020 04:22 PM

Jim,

Speaking of lead hammers, a Snap On shot filled hammer works well lasting for many wheel changes with no distortion as with a traditional lead hammer.

John

patrickt 07-12-2020 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desgros@vtlink. (Post 1479636)
Speaking of lead hammers, a Snap On shot filled hammer works well...

Trust me, if you're in your sixties, or seventies, and you still love working on your Cobra, taking those damn spinners off is often the roughest part of the job. Nothing beats an impact gun. http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-...ne-finger.html :cool:

DanEC 07-12-2020 04:47 PM

C2 Corvettes have also gotten along fine with 5-pin KO wheels for decades. I've never heard of a pin failure on one of them either and that's considering they weigh 500 - 700 lbs more than a Cobra and owners have been driving them hard with built motors all these years. And 4000 lb musclecars with modern built engines get along fine with 5-stud wheels still. Blow an axle or ring gear once in awhile, yes - but shearing wheel lugs is usually only an issue with over-torqued lug nuts and fractured lug nut studs.

Jim Vander Wal 07-12-2020 04:56 PM

Speaking of lead hammers, a Snap On shot filled hammer works well lasting for many wheel changes with no distortion as with a traditional lead hammer.

Sorry, I don't think a dead blow hammer is the same as a proper lead hammer.

If you're worried about a scuff on spinners you should be using lugnuts.

And yes, I am occasionally harsh but I've also see wheels come off.

Jim

CompClassics 07-12-2020 06:32 PM

I ONLY recommend a lead hammer for removing and installing knock-offs. I have never had a lead hammer damage either a knock-off or a wheel. If your knock-offs are Aluminum and seized on That is something completely different than normal.

t walgamuth 07-12-2020 07:04 PM

I have a nice copper hammer that is good for knockoffs.

Snake2998 07-13-2020 01:57 AM

Talking about lead hammers - the local Cobra Hire firm with about 20 Cobras use a piece of 1m long 4X4 wood and a 4 pound hammer - works a treat and does no damage. Works well taking spinners on or off.

That's what I use now - much cheaper and easier to get htan lead hammer and easily fits in the boot/trunk. In fact I use 2 X 4.

DanEC 07-13-2020 05:48 AM

I was worried about damaging the chrome KO spinners on my 66 Vette and experimented with boards, heavy leather, shot filled hammers, etc to protect them. Quickly learned this is not a good idea when I noticed one of them had started to back off and splintering wood was becoming hazardous to me, the wheel and the fiberglass. I've used nothing but a good quality lead Muther Thumper ever since and never noticed a mark on my chrome spinners or my ERA's aluminum spinners and I hammer them on pretty firmly. It's my own opinion that anything but a lead hammer directly on the KO spinner is not a good idea. Opinions may vary but not mine.

desgros@vtlink. 07-13-2020 08:36 AM

Quality shot filled hammers last much longer than lead hammers and tighten the spinner fully. Never had a spinner back off especially since they are reverse thread.

John

Mark IV 07-13-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desgros@vtlink. (Post 1479675)
Quality shot filled hammers last much longer than lead hammers and tighten the spinner fully. Never had a spinner back off especially since they are reverse thread.

John

We have been told by wheel manufacturers that "dead blow" hammers are not to be used, they do not provide the "shock" that a lead hammer does.

hauss 07-13-2020 01:05 PM

USE THE LEAD HAMMER! If you want to do it, as trouble free as possible . I had to use the 911 tool and the lead hammer. Remember tight ass and you will never forget witch way they come on and off.