Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   fuel pump not working (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144182-fuel-pump-not-working.html)

Steve Gallegos 10-30-2020 04:33 PM

fuel pump not working

I have edelbrock EFI and was trying to adjust some parameters using my hand held device. The engine started a couple of time and I adjusted the idle. The next time I tried to start it just cranked and my hand held would not turn on. Also, the fuel pump did not run when I turned the key on, I changed the relay that the pump goes to but no change. I can't find a fuse for it. I was going to run a hot wire from by battery to it to see if it turns on. Any ideas?

Steve Gallegos 10-30-2020 05:08 PM

Update on fuel pump, check pump for current, no current going to it, checked relay cradle 12 volts coming into it, Relay itself checks out conductance ok. My next idea is to run a line from my battery to the + side and see if it runs. If it does, don't know what to do next.

twobjshelbys 10-30-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Gallegos (Post 1484699)
Update on fuel pump, check pump for current, no current going to it, checked relay cradle 12 volts coming into it, Relay itself checks out conductance ok. My next idea is to run a line from my battery to the + side and see if it runs. If it does, don't know what to do next.

Check the load side of the relay at the relay using a DVM (or an analog volt meter if you're that old - I am, my 45 year old Radio Shack volt/ohm/amp meter works just fine and I've never felt compelled to upgrade). Then also run a jumper from the output side of the relay directly to the pump.

twobjshelbys 10-30-2020 05:31 PM

My car had a fuel pump switch. I assume the switch controls the relay activation leg controlled by the ignition switch since it isn't designed for that much current to be in either the line or load side.

I was driving along I25 through Denver one day and the car died. I coasted to the break down lane.

Got out of the car and couldn't tell what was wrong, but found I had no fuel pressure (there was a gauge under the hood for the DFI system). Anyway, I checked the pumps but couldn't hear anything over the traffic. Then I started jiggling the fuel pump switch and I could see fuel pressure and it turned over and ran for a few seconds. What I found was that one of the f*n Lucas toggle switches had developed a flat spot. If I held the switch up just a little off the bottom I had fuel. So I jammed a toothpick under the switch toggle to hold it up and got home...

So, if you have a switch, check it!!! It could be that your relay is OK, just not getting the

RD31 10-30-2020 05:32 PM

If you have an inertia cutoff switch check to make sure it hasn't tripped. If wired correctly, and it has tripped, that will prevent you from getting power to the fuel pump.

twobjshelbys 10-30-2020 05:59 PM

Another possibility is that there are fuses in the line/load lines. Chances are the battery-to-relay has a fuse in-line. The load side could have either an in-line fuse or a fuse in your fuse block. Hard to say without seeing a wiring diagram or tracing the wires.

RussBD 10-30-2020 06:35 PM

Check to see if you have positive/ground power to the relay. If so then run a hot positive wire to the relay trigger terminal 86. listen for a click. If there is one then your relay is working. Also check with a test light or voltmeter to see if power is coming out of the 87 terminal (Device).There should be if you heard the click. I f this all checks out then the problem is upstream. A switch, fuse or possible wiring. Also like you said run a hot jumper wire to the fuel pump to see if that is working.. A lot of electrical problems stem from a bad ground wire. Last it could be a fuel line blockage or a bad fuel filter.

twobjshelbys 10-31-2020 12:11 PM

Well?

G_Edmonds 11-01-2020 05:35 AM

I would start with checking the efi since the handheld quit working. On my system the fuel pump relay is triggered by the efi. Grounds are the first and best place to start.
If you don’t have a fuse to the fuel pump, I think I would add one.

Steve Gallegos 11-01-2020 10:26 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I tested the electronic control module. I have power going in, but no power coming out. Next week I plan on changing to the Edelbrock ProFlo 4, just in time I guess