Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Ok now that you have had your Cobra what would you change (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144346-ok-now-you-have-had-your-cobra-what-would-you-change.html)

Michael C Henry 12-31-2020 02:56 PM

Ok now that you have had your Cobra what would you change

There are two extremes Original at one end and practical and modern at the other end. The Cobra was a 50's design that had been modified by many builders over the years, before it was a Cobra it was an AC . It was a fun and light weight but a bare bones car. Not at all weather tight. steel and aluminum ,no fiberglass. The plastic was the tail light and shifter knob. I read that AC motor cars was down to building wheel chairs when Shelby first contacted them. My car is a replica, an older replica at that . My car was purpose built early in the 80's to compete in the Virginia City Nevada Hill climb. Open roadster, one roll bar 427 side oiler engine, top loader 4spd. No sun visors or wind wings, or heater. It looked like a Cobra SC. and if it didn't make it faster it was not there except for a built in hidden radar detector. The original builder was mid height but a lot trimmer than I.
I wish for more creature comfort's now I wanted the sift top and side curtains from the start. I have installed a Vintage Air heater defroster. I have rewired the car, most all the glass fuses and traditional fuse holder
became a problem issues, a lot of relays, circuit breakers and dash indicator lights.
I want the second twin roll bar as a protection and anchor point for racing harness belts. The original builder leaned the windshield back for aero effect.
The soft top and side curtains i bought over twenty years ago would not fit The laid back windshield. In looking back, I now have a list of things I now wish were different. After admiring cobras for the last fifty years. No two cars are the same. There are always different choices I have my things that are on my list. I'm not tall and now you could call me fat and I couldn't argue that point A longer wheel base not original but practical. The door hinges on The Classic Roadsters would be great after hip and knee replacement. 16" wheel help but 17 " wheels would let me install 12" brake rotors. A large single four barrel Carb intake manifold would let me have a better air cleaner. An over drive 5th or 6th gear would work better for highway drives. Two matching high functional roll bars not original but practical. Higher back seats with shoulder strap routing and back support.
An alteration to the top of the body under the windshield could be molded in to form a better seal with the rubber seal and be completely hidden. Some manufactures have raised the rear license plate lamp higher on the trunk lid for American plates. The side profile could be a little taller to get the engine air cleaner under the non functional hood scoop. and let the seats have an adjustable seat track and still not have your head up above the windshield. I'm happy that my cars builder put the biggest radiator in.
I have not given up yet but I do like the newer Mustangs with the heater defroster and roll up side windows and door locks. Did I mention air conditioning and radio?

twobjshelbys 12-31-2020 03:53 PM

I liked mine just like it was. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Snake2998 01-01-2021 07:25 AM

I would fit a 6 or more speed auto box with paddle changers Maybe a Mercedes 9 speed one if it was possible with 3.9:1 diff ratio.

I would spend a fair bit of money making the car lighter - something around 750kg or 1650lbs if that was possible - might mean going for a small non-American turbo V8 with light weight boot, bonnet and doors and even body shell and light weight headers and also much lighter fabricated suspension arms. Of course each mod would make it less traditional but more fun to drive. I think given the weight saving 450 hp would be the sweet spot.

Another weight saver could be smaller wheels and tyres with stickier rubber which would help unsprung weight.

Despite that I love my car the way it is.

Michael C Henry 01-01-2021 07:36 AM

Your car is not as it would have been manufactured in 65 . That Roush 427ir wasn't available then even from Shelby. Even Shelby said when he was launching the continuation series from the ( Nevada Southern Desert Prison Facility) " With historically warranted modifications"
It is a great copy but it isn't an original 65 SC. I imagine Shelby Inc. did a great job. My car also came from Nevada but It is now in Washington State. It rains a lot here near the coast especially during the fall, winter, and spring. I do not know your situation, how much you did or do your self , how much and where and when you drive your CSX4000? I do not know you fiscal situation like how old you are any problems with your body like back, knees, hips, etc.? I do not know how long you have had the CSX 4000 or plan on keeping it? Given a little time, somethings may come up. Is there not anything you would like to be a little different? Do you change anything or just sell it and buy something different? I have had this car myself for 21 years now. The car was 15 years old when I bought it. When I brought the car to Washington there were emission standards and testing. The car aged out of that in 2009. Even with a Nevada tittle in my name, this state changed my cars description from 65 Cobra replica to KIT V. What are the cops supposed to be looking for if they are even looking. My brother lives in North LV and I could see my self driving there and complaining about different points about the car.

t walgamuth 01-01-2021 08:12 AM

Since I bought my orange VSE built there is nothing I would change at t his point. If I were starting from scratch I'd have the FIA body and a true small block 289 or 302. Being able to relax a bit while driving it would be nice.

twobjshelbys 01-01-2021 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael C Henry (Post 1487160)
There are two extremes Original at one end and practical and modern at the other end. The Cobra was a 50's design that had been modified by many builders over the years, before it was a Cobra it was an AC . It was a fun and light weight but a bare bones car. Not at all weather tight. steel and aluminum ,no fiberglass. The plastic was the tail light and shifter knob. I read that AC motor cars was down to building wheel chairs when Shelby first contacted them. My car is a replica, an older replica at that . My car was purpose built early in the 80's to compete in the Virginia City Nevada Hill climb. Open roadster, one roll bar 427 side oiler engine, top loader 4spd. No sun visors or wind wings, or heater. It looked like a Cobra SC. and if it didn't make it faster it was not there except for a built in hidden radar detector. The original builder was mid height but a lot trimmer than I.
I wish for more creature comfort's now I wanted the sift top and side curtains from the start. I have installed a Vintage Air heater defroster. I have rewired the car, most all the glass fuses and traditional fuse holder
became a problem issues, a lot of relays, circuit breakers and dash indicator lights.
I want the second twin roll bar as a protection and anchor point for racing harness belts. The original builder leaned the windshield back for aero effect.
The soft top and side curtains i bought over twenty years ago would not fit The laid back windshield. In looking back, I now have a list of things I now wish were different. After admiring cobras for the last fifty years. No two cars are the same. There are always different choices I have my things that are on my list. I'm not tall and now you could call me fat and I couldn't argue that point A longer wheel base not original but practical. The door hinges on The Classic Roadsters would be great after hip and knee replacement. 16" wheel help but 17 " wheels would let me install 12" brake rotors. A large single four barrel Carb intake manifold would let me have a better air cleaner. An over drive 5th or 6th gear would work better for highway drives. Two matching high functional roll bars not original but practical. Higher back seats with shoulder strap routing and back support.
An alteration to the top of the body under the windshield could be molded in to form a better seal with the rubber seal and be completely hidden. Some manufactures have raised the rear license plate lamp higher on the trunk lid for American plates. The side profile could be a little taller to get the engine air cleaner under the non functional hood scoop. and let the seats have an adjustable seat track and still not have your head up above the windshield. I'm happy that my cars builder put the biggest radiator in.
I have not given up yet but I do like the newer Mustangs with the heater defroster and roll up side windows and door locks. Did I mention air conditioning and radio?

You're describing a Corvette.

Buzz 01-01-2021 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobjshelbys (Post 1487188)
You're describing a Corvette.

Interesting discussion. Precisely the type of soul searching and honest reckoning that I'm processing right now. The sale of my beloved Unique Motorcars Cobra and my move to Canada where replica options are drastically curtailed, has me looking at all options.

I really don't like the idea of hacking up and changing a Cobra into something it was never meant to be. It's desirability comes from its purposeful and functional purity of design and to add conspicuous things like modern high back seats and a bigger, taller body ruin that for me. Some people just want a brutally fast sports car and so something with a few Cobra styling cues and vaguely similar shape - like some modern "replicas" - is Cobra enough for them. To me it just looks mismatched and awkward.

Now, I too find myself wanting some things my Cobra - any true Cobra - simply cannot deliver. I want to be less dependent on good weather so I can enjoy driving more and go greater distances. I want to enjoy the drives along with my wife, and I also want music. As much as I love the sidepipe symphony, I'm craving more now. Windows that go up and down. A convertible top that actually works. Big, powerful brakes. Air conditioning even?

I love Cobras - I think I always will. But I have a sinking feeling that I may have outgrown them for my own personal use. I still want a smallish two seat roadster with low slung, classic lines, big tires and a powerful V8 powerplant. So am I just describing a Corvette? I've owned C4 Vettes and that's not what I'm looking for. Too big, heavy and bulky. The modern convertibles surround you with too much bodywork - high sills, high back seats and a fussy, complicated interior. You do not have that 360 degree view, open air feel that you get in a Cobra. Not even close.

One day recently, I stumbled across a solution that really has my attention.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d8/3f...40ca1adaa3.jpg

Yes its a Corvette - but its a classic C1 with a full Art Morisson chassis, a 6 speed T56, modern suspension, tires and brakes and a strong, LS or LT V8. Right now it ticks all the boxes for me. I love the whole aesthetic, the basic comforts and the performance. I think I'm in love again.

t walgamuth 01-01-2021 12:09 PM

...but what's with the whitewalls?;)

RUFdriver 01-01-2021 12:31 PM

Those restomod Corvettes are bringing big $$$ at Barrett Jackson.

twobjshelbys 01-01-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 1487192)

Yes its a Corvette - but its a classic C1 with a full Art Morisson chassis, a 6 speed T56, modern suspension, tires and brakes and a strong, LS or LT V8. Right now it ticks all the boxes for me. I love the whole aesthetic, the basic comforts and the performance. I think I'm in love again.

Exactly what I had in mind when I said Corvette. That generation, besides the 63 split window, are the only ones I ever liked. But the C1 is classic. Plus it's factory made which means any parts are readily available. Do all those things to a Cobra and every piece is unique hand made and if anything ever happens, probably irreplaceable. If what you want is the inside of a corvette then put a Cobra skin on one.

Unique427 01-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Interesting discussion. Precisely the type of soul searching and honest reckoning that I'm processing right now. The sale of my beloved Unique Motorcars Cobra and my move to Canada where replica options are drastically curtailed, has me looking at all options.

I really don't like the idea of hacking up and changing a Cobra into something it was never meant to be. It's desirability comes from its purposeful and functional purity of design and to add conspicuous things like modern high back seats and a bigger, taller body ruin that for me. Some people just want a brutally fast sports car and so something with a few Cobra styling cues and vaguely similar shape - like some modern "replicas" - is Cobra enough for them. To me it just looks mismatched and awkward.

Now, I too find myself wanting some things my Cobra - any true Cobra - simply cannot deliver. I want to be less dependent on good weather so I can enjoy driving more and go greater distances. I want to enjoy the drives along with my wife, and I also want music. As much as I love the sidepipe symphony, I'm craving more now. Windows that go up and down. A convertible top that actually works. Big, powerful brakes. Air conditioning even?

I love Cobras - I think I always will. But I have a sinking feeling that I may have outgrown them for my own personal use. I still want a smallish two seat roadster with low slung, classic lines, big tires and a powerful V8 powerplant. So am I just describing a Corvette? I've owned C4 Vettes and that's not what I'm looking for. Too big, heavy and bulky. The modern convertibles surround you with too much bodywork - high sills, high back seats and a fussy, complicated interior. You do not have that 360 degree view, open air feel that you get in a Cobra. Not even close.

That Corvette C1 is quite stunning.

Going from an angry Cobra to a refined restomod C1 of that caliber is
like throwing out your Rolling Stones collection for The Beatles.

Buzz 01-01-2021 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1487196)
...but what's with the whitewalls?;)

Those are actually modern high performance radials. The whitewalls are applied with a special process that prevents the bleed through and eventual discoloring that plagued the originals. Personally, I can take them or leave them.

t walgamuth 01-01-2021 01:06 PM

Quote:

There are a number of these resto vettes out there now. I like them a lot and would prefer a 55 to 57 model to build on. Putting a cobra body over a new vette I think you might find the cobra a significantly smaller car then the vette. The cobra is pretty much identical to the size of a Miata.

.so a monster miata might be a good way to go too. The all aluminum LS motor can be put in with a kit or by an outfit that does them. Of course they look like the mild mannered choir boy vs a real butch linebacker kindof aesthetic....which they will go like.

Buzz 01-01-2021 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unique427 (Post 1487205)
That Corvette C1 is quite stunning.

Going from an angry Cobra to a refined restomod C1 of that caliber is
like throwing out your Rolling Stones collection for The Beatles.

Lol - partially true, but with all of the available powertrain options - 500-700HP LS/LT's or even an old school 572ci big block, they can be quite frisky. :LOL:
Still definitely no Cobra in terms of raw, elemental performance though.

Buzz 01-01-2021 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1487209)
There are a number of these resto vettes out there now. I like them a lot and would prefer a 55 to 57 model to build on. Putting a cobra body over a new vette I think you might find the cobra a significantly smaller car then the vette. The cobra is pretty much identical to the size of a Miata.

.so a monster miata might be a good way to go too. The all aluminum LS motor can be put in with a kit or by an outfit that does them. Of course they look like the mild mannered choir boy vs a real butch linebacker kindof aesthetic....which they will go like.

I agree. The look of a Miata just doesn't do it for me. After driving a Cobra for so many years, almost everything else looks and feels too "plain Jane" ho-hum to stir my pot. These Vettes come close though.

KDubU 01-01-2021 02:16 PM

Those wheels on that vette are ugly IMHO. Love the car but would change those wheels ASAP.

Funny someone mentioned Miata as I was thinking the same.

Thor maine 01-01-2021 02:42 PM

I no longer own a Cobra replica kit car but I am looking for another! I owned for 35 years a Contemporary Classic with a 427 CHEVY punched ,30 over, 11 to 1 forged pistons, forged steel crank, Merlin heads and Holley TBI, going thru a Muncie 4 spd. FANTASTIC!!!! For my next I am looking for Arntz/Butler , I would replace the front suspension with a Fast Cars IFS. The engine all aluminum old school CHEVY small block stroked to around 427 cubic inches tied to a 5 or 6 spd. I would do the sidepipes but I would using exhaust cutouts route it into a quiet under car and out the back exhaust, quiet and flip of a switch Rock and Roll !!! The other change would also be a hard top of some kind, I like the look of the LeMans type. Or thinking more a GM LS-3 might even be better!!! LONG LIVE THE CHEVY IN A COBRA!!!!

john chesnut 01-01-2021 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor maine (Post 1487221)
I no longer own a Cobra replica kit car but I am looking for another! I owned for 35 years a Contemporary Classic with a 427 CHEVY punched ,30 over, 11 to 1 forged pistons, forged steel crank, Merlin heads and Holley TBI, going thru a Muncie 4 spd. FANTASTIC!!!! For my next I am looking for Arntz/Butler , I would replace the front suspension with a Fast Cars IFS. The engine all aluminum old school CHEVY small block stroked to around 427 cubic inches tied to a 5 or 6 spd. I would do the sidepipes but I would using exhaust cutouts route it into a quiet under car and out the back exhaust, quiet and flip of a switch Rock and Roll !!! The other change would also be a hard top of some kind, I like the look of the LeMans type. Or thinking more a GM LS-3 might even be better!!! LONG LIVE THE CHEVY IN A COBRA!!!!

Or in a Cheetah? :)

t walgamuth 01-01-2021 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thor maine (Post 1487221)

I'd prolly put the pipes under it too.

PDUB 01-01-2021 09:53 PM

Yep, I think John is right... the bow tie goes in the Cheetah, or the Vette of course ;)