Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Starter query (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144376-starter-query.html)

Snake2998 01-08-2021 01:09 AM

Starter query

My starter motor seems to take a long time to run down before you can re-engage it when my car doesn't start the first time. Have to wait until the turbine like noise comes to a stop (about 3 to 5 seconds) otherwise starter is not fully retracted and you get a clash of pinion against flywheel when you reengage it.

This is a newish lightweight high speed geared starter. The rubbish solenoid failed in first month or so of use and was replaced by a decent one.

Is this normal for lightweight geared starters or is it a warning of problems to come?

incoming 01-08-2021 04:18 PM

I'm actually going to attempt to take a stab at this?

It's probably a geared high torque starter. I have one.

I turn my engine over (within reason) until she starts. Sometimes I'll stop cranking for a few seconds to pump my pedal. My car is all mechanical, was supposedly SCCA raced in the 90's.

She will whine for a few seconds. I don't know your car.

spdbrake 01-09-2021 06:56 AM

It sounds like the the Bendix solenoid has a sticking contactor. Once the key or start button is released the solenoid should loose engagement power, however main power is still available to the solenoid and starter. The spin-down you're hearing is a starter motor running in free wheeling (retracted Bendix).
https://www.howacarworks.com/basics/...g-system-works

Snake2998 01-11-2021 04:01 AM

Thanks for the replies - i will assume that the spooling down is normal for this type of starter motor.

Chilibit 01-11-2021 06:38 AM

I would not assume that. Look at what spdbrake suggested.

cycleguy55 01-11-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chilibit (Post 1487564)
I would not assume that. Look at what spdbrake suggested.

Agreed. It's unlikely to get better on its own and, in fact, is far more likely to get worse. Fix it before it fails completely - almost certainly far from home.

Snake2998 01-12-2021 07:12 AM

Thanks for the comments. I did note spdrakes comment - I am pretty sure it's not the bendix contact sticking as there aren't any problems with engagement or disengagement of the starter. The starter motor is not making a powered type noise, but just a winding down type noise. I have experienced the problem with a freewheeling motor when the solenoid failed leaving the motor permenantly powered (fortunately without engaging the bendix) - the only way to stop it from running was to turn off the battery isolator switch. This is nothing like that but definitely just an unpowered motor spinning down.

I will however take note of the comments and pay more attention to the symptoms.

Snake2998 02-21-2021 02:11 AM

Just some feedback - "spdbrake" and "cycleguy55" win the prize for the correct answer - it is a sticking bendix. Thanks for the help guys.