Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Clear Bra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/144648-clear-bra.html)

ERA 626 03-26-2021 07:47 PM

Clear Bra

Can someone recommend a shop in the nor cal east bay area to install a clear plastic bra on the front of my cobra? I dont even know what its called? clear plastic stuff?

Tommy 03-27-2021 04:47 AM

I can't help with a shop recommendation, but I have been researching "paint protection film" for my Cheetah. I've concluded that the product I want is sold under the names Suntek and Llumar Platinum. I believe they are the same product sold under two names. If you go to the distributors' websites they can provide installers near you.

ERA 626 03-27-2021 03:59 PM

thank you... but trusting someone with a razor blade and a black CSX cobra is a risky endeavor to say the least...

twobjshelbys 03-27-2021 05:10 PM

Xpel seems to be the choice for the Ford GT crowd. I had it on mine and it hadn't turned yellow after 9 years.

Some also use 3M.

SFSDFGT 03-27-2021 05:30 PM

Xpel Ultimate and Suntek/Llumar are both excellent products. Suntek/Llumar is inherently hydrophobic, making dirt/droppings/bugs/rubber etc. rinse off more easily, but Xpel offers a ceramic coating specifically designed to work with their PPF, and that is even better, as far as I am concerned. They guarantee the film for 10 years, and guarantee the coating to be effective for 5 years. I just had my 2021 Ford GT covered head to toe with Xpel Ultimate, then ceramic coated, and also Exoshield windshield film. I am very impressed with it all.

patrickt 03-27-2021 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1490890)
Can someone recommend a shop in the nor cal east bay area to install a clear plastic bra on the front of my cobra?

Can't you just go with a teddy instead?:confused:

Mongoose930 03-28-2021 05:56 AM

I used Xpel and have been very happy. All around the oil-cooler opening, rear fenders and the tops of my doors - buttons, watch, etc. I would have this done before you ever take the car out. I had mine installed with less than 100 miles on the car, but it was too late, I already some stone chips on the rear fenders. Oh well, these cars are meant to be driven anyway and a few scars only adds to the character...

ERA 626 03-29-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose930 (Post 1490940)
I used Xpel and have been very happy. All around the oil-cooler opening, rear fenders and the tops of my doors - buttons, watch, etc. I would have this done before you ever take the car out. I had mine installed with less than 100 miles on the car, but it was too late, I already some stone chips on the rear fenders. Oh well, these cars are meant to be driven anyway and a few scars only adds to the character...

any recommendations on install shop? or where I can buy some and attempt it myself?

sgianino 03-29-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1491044)
any recommendations on install shop? or where I can buy some and attempt it myself?

I ordered a little XPEL some years ago for my Truck...I only did a small section where your feet tend to scratch the body getting in and out of truck...a really flat area that was hard to screw up...Im scared to attempt it on the ERA
TONY! im Sure has used it on his GT and CSX ;)

https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-prot...lm/by-the-foot

Lou1119 03-29-2021 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ERA 626 (Post 1491044)

Due to the many curves and complex shapes of the front end I don’t think it would work well for a diy install. I have had it done on several cars by highly recommended installers. On average it took two people 6 hours.
I am skilled in many areas of auto detailing and modifications and I would never attempt it.

KarlzEE Bebout 12-24-2021 06:58 AM

I've looking for a clear bra PPF for my new paint but am having sticker shock at the prices I've gotten. I understand that there is no premade pattern but scheesh. $1700 and way up for just the nose up to the hood seems like a bit much. My new paint is pretty much black, until you look at it sideways and then there's a definite blueish/purple cast to it. I used black truck bed liner spray on the rear fender spats. My buddy Mesa Mike had used it on his car many years ago and it still looks good. $15, some masking tape, and an hour and I'm good to go. Unless I find a PPF job for about $1000 I guess I'll be doing a nose respray somewhere 'way down the road, should I live so long. :)

twobjshelbys 12-24-2021 11:58 AM

Price for the stuff has gone through the roof. Guys with new Ford GTs are paying in excess of 10K.

KarlzEE Bebout 12-24-2021 03:52 PM

WowZER!

767Jockey 12-24-2021 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFSDFGT (Post 1490921)
Xpel Ultimate and Suntek/Llumar are both excellent products. Suntek/Llumar is inherently hydrophobic, making dirt/droppings/bugs/rubber etc. rinse off more easily, but Xpel offers a ceramic coating specifically designed to work with their PPF, and that is even better, as far as I am concerned. They guarantee the film for 10 years, and guarantee the coating to be effective for 5 years. I just had my 2021 Ford GT covered head to toe with Xpel Ultimate, then ceramic coated, and also Exoshield windshield film. I am very impressed with it all.

I was planning to use a similar product on the leading edges of the rear flares, where guys used to put chaps. It should be an easy install for the two small pieces, can you buy just the film of one of these products and for a small job like that do it yourself?

KarlzEE Bebout 12-24-2021 08:20 PM

You can get small quantities of Xpel on Amazon. I heard that they've come out with a 10mil film.

Snake2998 12-24-2021 10:58 PM

Why not clear plastidip the front? Are there good reasons not to?

SFSDFGT 12-27-2021 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 767Jockey (Post 1501439)
I was planning to use a similar product on the leading edges of the rear flares, where guys used to put chaps. It should be an easy install for the two small pieces, can you buy just the film of one of these products and for a small job like that do it yourself?

Yes, absolutely- when I am just doing a simple panel (without a lot of complex curves) I usually just buy some bulk film from a seller on eBay. I also use the Xpel installation gel and a 3” rubber squeegee. It’s not hard, but a bit of a learning curve.

Dewey McBride 02-02-2022 06:32 PM

Reach out to Madd Wraps in Vacaville. I already have rock chips but he said he would do my car if I wanted to. He just did PPF on my buddy's C8 and it looks really good. He said the cobra is a hard one.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/madd-wrapps-vacaville

Chupee 02-02-2022 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by era 626 (Post 1490890)
can someone recommend a shop in the nor cal east bay area to install a clear plastic bra on the front of my cobra? I dont even know what its called? Clear plastic stuff?

expel