Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Fixed Hardtop Cobra (not a Daytona) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145038-fixed-hardtop-cobra-not-daytona.html)

Lioninstreet 07-26-2021 10:00 PM

Fixed Hardtop Cobra (not a Daytona)

I'm not quite yet a first time owner leaning towards replacing my current short wheelbase roadster (a tuned SLK55 AMG) with a replica Cobra roadster.

While browsing, I happened across an odd repro that (other than being Chevy powered with oversize tail lights) got my curiosity up a little. Especially the seats and interior.

The body has the full on cobra roadster look. But the roof line is basically a fastback that's actually an integral part of the body. It is not a roadster with a removable top and actually looks like it has windows in the doors. It's pretty well proportioned with no trunk or opening rear window.

I'd post a linky to the video of the car, but the site moderators seem to have my posts tagged to avoid the ner-do-wells who sign up to spam still. I only recently stopped lurking and actually registered.

The car was being sold by Gateway Classic Cars down in my neighborhood (SE Fla) a few years ago. But the seller's failed to give any clue as to who the manufacturer was.

The title of the video is #508-FTL 1966 AC Cobra Replica and is easy to find with google. But if anyone recognizes who made this cobra fastback (?), I'd much appreciate the arrow pointing.

mr bruce 07-27-2021 04:44 AM

made by Streetbeast, hated by many, but some were put together and looked great, punch in Streetbeast Cobra Coupe and you should come up with a few hits. I have the molds for the Cobra bodys , and the removable leMans top, I can blend the 2 together for you, but it will take time,and it's not gonna be cheep, thanks, b

t walgamuth 07-27-2021 06:20 AM

I like it. I suspect it might be about what I would have done if given the task that Pete Brock was assigned. His coupe was visionary in its design and details. This one is a development of the roadster body.

john chesnut 07-27-2021 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr bruce (Post 1495222)
made by Streetbeast, hated by many, but some were put together and looked great, punch in Streetbeast Cobra Coupe and you should come up with a few hits. I have the molds for the Cobra bodys , and the removable leMans top, I can blend the 2 together for you, but it will take time,and it's not gonna be cheep, thanks, b

Mr Bruce does great work. I would go with him every time!

Lioninstreet 07-27-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr bruce (Post 1495222)

Thanks mr bruce. Not sure why the crazy people stories always lead back to "Florida man"... the below from CrankShaft Coalition

StreetBeasts (aka Florida Man George G Levin) is a notorious manufacturer of street rod kit cars with an extremely poor reputation among the online automotive enthusiast community. In June of 1999, Streetbeasts's previous incarnation ("Classic Motor Carriages") pleaded guilty to wire fraud, and was ordered to pay $2.5 million in restitution.

PDUB 07-28-2021 12:30 AM

Option two...

That top/coupe looks a little out of balance, size-wise... the back is too big for the front, as visible in the walk-around - at least for my taste.

The removable Le Mans top is similar... but a bit more refined looking. And you can go topless if you want! Unique Motorcars has that as an option. Check them out. I think there is a guy or two on their forum who has a Le Mans top for sale. Best of luck in your search!

Lioninstreet 07-28-2021 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDUB (Post 1495259)
That top/coupe looks a little out of balance, size-wise... the back is too big for the front, as visible in the walk-around - at least for my taste.

The removable Le Mans top is similar... but a bit more refined looking. And you can go topless if you want! Unique Motorcars has that as an option. Check them out. I think there is a guy or two on their forum who has a Le Mans top for sale. Best of luck in your search!

Thanks for the well wishes PDUB and to all who replied. Looks like this forum is full of friendly people!

I agree the roadster is much nicer. What caught my attention was the seats. My personal preference is to have some kind of head support (maybe even just a small adjustable bolster) without having a full on, current design racing seat head support sticking out of the body and distracting from the body shape. But the more I look at it, the more I'm seeing that even a small bolster might not look good, or even be necessary.

Lots to learn and catch up on before jumping on the bandwagon with everyone. I had a Q code Mach1 with a drag pack back in the day. After the Super CJ puked, I dropped in a side oiler. For setimental value I ended up holding onto the original SCJ Harmonic balancer and crank counter balancer for all these years.

That's one car sale I'll always regret. :(