Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   How to switch from high beams to regular headlights Unique (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145050-how-switch-high-beams-regular-headlights-unique.html)

86Sebring 07-29-2021 05:31 PM

How to switch from high beams to regular headlights Unique

Hi guys
On a early 90's build Unique FIA I can't figure out how to switch from high beams to regular lights. I tried the turn signal lever but it won't work.
Is there a hidden switch somewhere?
First time last night I went for a drive in the evening and I must have blinded everybody, ha

Snake2998 07-30-2021 03:57 AM

Do you perhaps have a foot high beam switch? Maybe they "floored" it????"

Ahshoe 07-30-2021 06:26 AM

Any chance there is a toggle switch on the dash for it. Some models or builders install it there.

Buzz 07-30-2021 07:22 AM

I was the second owner of an early Unique 427 and when I bought it, it originally had a dash mounted toggle for the dimmer switch. I changed that out for a turn signal/dimmer switch happily supplied by Unique, along with everything else that I needed to update and upgrade my car.

Unique427 07-31-2021 03:53 AM

If you have the turn signal assembly with a horn button (VW) on the
knob end of the lever, high beams come on by pushing the lever
FORWARD toward the front of the car. Low beams toward the REAR.
If the lever goes forward/back and no high/low beams ... it's faulty.

Assume this has already been tried but thought I'd pass it along anyway.

86Sebring 07-31-2021 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unique427 (Post 1495435)
If you have the turn signal assembly with a horn button (VW) on the
knob end of the lever, high beams come on by pushing the lever
FORWARD toward the front of the car. Low beams toward the REAR.
If the lever goes forward/back and no high/low beams ... it's faulty.

Assume this has already been tried but thought I'd pass it along anyway.

Thanks, Yes, I have the VW tsa so that might be the problem. Turn signal and horn are working. Found no other switches on the floor or under the dash.

CHANMADD 07-31-2021 02:10 PM

High Beam Switch

Back of the the turn signal lever is a switch. Pull the lever towards you..and it activates the switch..click once high click again low, click again low..

86Sebring 08-07-2021 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHANMADD (Post 1495447)
Back of the the turn signal lever is a switch. Pull the lever towards you..and it activates the switch..click once high click again low, click again low..

If I pull the switch towards me, the low beams are coming on, but they don't stay on, there is no click, when I let go of the switch, it goes back to high beams.
Could it be a faulty switch, even though the horn and blinkers work properly...?

86Sebring 08-07-2021 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake2998 (Post 1495398)
Do you perhaps have a foot high beam switch? Maybe they "floored" it????"

haha good one:LOL:

Blas 08-07-2021 07:58 PM

Sounds like a bad relay if you are using a locking relay to control lighting.
Look for a larger sized relay, might say DIN127, could be silver or black.
Run thru the procedure for me to turn on your headlights.
Blas

86Sebring 08-08-2021 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1495710)
Sounds like a bad relay if you are using a locking relay to control lighting.
Look for a larger sized relay, might say DIN127, could be silver or black.
Run thru the procedure for me to turn on your headlights.
Blas

thanks, so in order to turn on the lights, I pull a 2 step switch, not a toggle switch on the dashboard. First step/click is parking lights, second step/click goes straight to high beams...

Buzz 08-08-2021 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Sebring (Post 1495708)
If I pull the switch towards me, the low beams are coming on, but they don't stay on, there is no click, when I let go of the switch, it goes back to high beams.
Could it be a faulty switch, even though the horn and blinkers work properly...?

Sounds like a physical malfunction of the lever/switch itself. There should at least be a distinctive click and the selection should hold until you click it again. If I recall correctly, the mechanicals are mostly comprised of flimsy plastic parts and it wouldn't be hard to break something.

Blas 08-08-2021 01:31 PM

Are there relays in the lighting circuit?
Somebody have a wiring diagram they can send me?
I suggest you first photograph the wiring on the switch, then remove it and bench test it with on OHM Meter. First confirm the switch is working. You can then follow the wiring to the low beams and make them work. I would assume there is at least one relay, or perhaps two hidden somewhere.
Diagram for me anyone?
Blas

Unique427 08-08-2021 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Sebring (Post 1495708)

The stalk switch assembly should have a distinct detent when going
high to low (or back to high) and the lever moves and stays in that position.

There's a contact at the base of the stalk that's closed for high beam
and open for low beam. If there's no positive detent keeping the
stalk switch in the low beam position, what could be happening is
you're pulling the lever, and by force alone opening the contact,
switching to low beam. But, upon releasing the lever is moves
back to high beam position closing the contact.

If so, this is a faulty switch assembly. It's a LUCAS 119SA

86Sebring 08-08-2021 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unique427 (Post 1495750)
The stalk switch assembly should have a distinct detent when going
high to low (or back to high) and the lever moves and stays in that position.

There's a contact at the base of the stalk that's closed for high beam
and open for low beam. If there's no positive detent keeping the
stalk switch in the low beam position, what could be happening is
you're pulling the lever, and by force alone opening the contact,
switching to low beam. But, upon releasing the lever is moves
back to high beam position closing the contact.

If so, this is a faulty switch assembly. It's a LUCAS 119SA

That is exactly what is happening, there is no detent when pulling the lever towards me.

86Sebring 08-08-2021 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blas (Post 1495742)
Are there relays in the lighting circuit?
Somebody have a wiring diagram they can send me?
I suggest you first photograph the wiring on the switch, then remove it and bench test it with on OHM Meter. First confirm the switch is working. You can then follow the wiring to the low beams and make them work. I would assume there is at least one relay, or perhaps two hidden somewhere.
Diagram for me anyone?
Blas

unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram

Dwight 08-08-2021 08:51 PM

Unique did not install relays in their cars. But some of their customers did install relays.

I've installed relay in a few Unique.

Most of the turn signal units are MG. I've replaced several of them through the years.

I have access to Unique diagram.

86Sebring 08-09-2021 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight (Post 1495768)
Unique did not install relays in their cars. But some of their customers did install relays.

I've installed relay in a few Unique.

Most of the turn signal units are MG. I've replaced several of them through the years.

I have access to Unique diagram.

Would you be so kind and email me a copy of the wiring diagram
emihu2000atyahoo.com