Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Does bellhousing hang below round tube frame? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145079-does-bellhousing-hang-below-round-tube-frame.html)

HighPlainsDrifter 08-08-2021 02:02 PM

Does bellhousing hang below round tube frame?

F5 mark 4 cobra, does the bellhousing sit above or below the 4" round frame, trying to figure out ground clearance.
thanks,
Perry;)

t walgamuth 08-08-2021 02:18 PM

Although lots run with their oil pans down below the frame I would not. I'd get the most compact pan available and go from there.

Dwight 08-08-2021 08:54 PM

I ran a road racing pan. Stock height with 8 qts capacity.

1795 08-09-2021 03:28 AM

He's asking about the bell housing on an FFR. I can't answer that question for you, as I have an SPF and mine is the 289 model with the 3" tubes.

Jim Vander Wal 08-09-2021 06:53 AM

Generally, yes. Many builders on the FFR forums mention this. Seems to hold with 302/351 and Coyotes. The recommendation is often to cut the bottom of the bellhousing to match the bottom of the 4" frame rails. There are also many warnings about having an oil pan sit below the frame rails.

Having had two SPF cars I was accustomed to the front sway bar being the low point under the frame at the front and used that as a guide for what hung down. In 65,000 miles never hit the bellhousing or oil pan. This was with a 3-1/2" or so height to both and driving cross country, city, country and dirt roads. YMMV

The standard recommendation for chassis height on the FFR at the bottom of the 4" frame tubes is 4" at the front and 4-1/2" in the rear. This is an approximate and often varied from. The SPF chassis used similar heights.

I understand the concern but wonder if this merits the effort.

Jim

CobraResurrect 08-09-2021 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this photo. Not sure if it will help.

HighPlainsDrifter 08-09-2021 08:15 AM

need a stock bellhousing measurement

I need a stock 302/ T5 bellhousing measurement- above or below frame- for F5 mark 4 as a reference point for my AOD and it's trans pan height. On my 1st shell valley cobra my C6 pan was low and banged speed bumps:(

spdbrake 08-09-2021 01:06 PM

3/8" below the frame rail.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...4-Bell-housing

t walgamuth 08-10-2021 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Vander Wal (Post 1495782)
Generally, yes. Many builders on the FFR forums mention this. Seems to hold with 302/351 and Coyotes. The recommendation is often to cut the bottom of the bellhousing to match the bottom of the 4" frame rails. There are also many warnings about having an oil pan sit below the frame rails.

Having had two SPF cars I was accustomed to the front sway bar being the low point under the frame at the front and used that as a guide for what hung down. In 65,000 miles never hit the bellhousing or oil pan. This was with a 3-1/2" or so height to both and driving cross country, city, country and dirt roads. YMMV

The standard recommendation for chassis height on the FFR at the bottom of the 4" frame tubes is 4" at the front and 4-1/2" in the rear. This is an approximate and often varied from. The SPF chassis used similar heights.

I understand the concern but wonder if this merits the effort.

Jim

Cutting off the bell housing will leave the flywheel exposed, won't it?

CobraResurrect 08-10-2021 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t walgamuth (Post 1495818)
Cutting off the bell housing will leave the flywheel exposed, won't it?

If you follow the FF forum link that was provided by spdbrake apparently one guy did it with success.

Jim Vander Wal 08-10-2021 05:56 AM

You only cut part of the lower flange. Maybe 3/8-3/4".
No, you don't cut into the flywheel area.
Jim

t walgamuth 08-10-2021 08:55 PM

I see. That is a lot less than I imagined. Of course that lip around the bell housing flange is like the web on a steel beam so any cutting on it will weaken it some.

DanEC 08-11-2021 07:16 AM

Not all aftermarket bell housings are the same. In general QuickTime are a bit more compact than Lakewood. Also QuickTime makes a non-SFI rated, steel bellhousing with a block saver plate that is quite a bit less bulky, especially along the bottom part where it does away with the heavy, wide flange and continuous row of large bolts - for a narrower flange with just a few small machine screws. If you going to the strip or someplace you need an SFI rated bellhousing this is the way to go with a Cobra. Good ground clearance, heavy steel bell with the weakened zone oriented down, block saver plate, usually dials in good on factory dowels.