Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   radiators (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145270-radiators.html)

hauss 10-15-2021 01:09 PM

radiators

I have a backdraft with 1" tubes and plastic tanks .I ordered a 3 row square d aluminum and received a 2 row with 1/2" tubes .the old radiator is 1 3/4" thick and the new is 1 1/2" thick. I am told air will flow more through the thinner core but the old radiator has 1" tubes it is a signal pass the new is a 2 row. should I send the aluminum back ? Not sure witch would work better.

NROTOXIN 10-15-2021 01:45 PM

How do you know the old one doesn't work? Are you just swapping parts out by process of elimination?

patrickt 10-15-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1498175)
I have a backdraft with 1" tubes and plastic tanks .I ordered a 3 row square d aluminum and received a 2 row with 1/2" tubes .the old radiator is 1 3/4" thick and the new is 1 1/2" thick. I am told air will flow more through the thinner core but the old radiator has 1" tubes it is a signal pass the new is a 2 row. should I send the aluminum back ? Not sure witch would work better.

I don't know the answer to your question, but the radiator that ERA puts in 427 cars is a Griffin with a 2 x 1.25" core. They tout it as suitable to cool any engine you can possibly fit in to the car. Even monster 700HP FEs that turn the primaries red. Just food for thought.:cool:

cycleguy55 10-15-2021 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrickt (Post 1498180)
I don't know the answer to your question, but the radiator that ERA puts in 427 cars is a Griffin with a 2 x 1.25" core. They tout it as suitable to cool any engine you can possibly fit in to the car. Even monster 700HP FEs that turn the primaries red. Just food for thought.:cool:

Yes, detailed here: https://www.erareplicas.com/427/radiator.htm

tonywyso 10-16-2021 06:24 AM

Send it back.

bobcowan 10-16-2021 09:12 AM

- You ordered and payed for a 3 row radiator
- they sent you a 2 row radiator.

Assuming you ordered what you think you ordered, they sent you the wrong part. It happens. Contact the company and get what you paid for. Not complicated at all.

hauss 10-16-2021 03:21 PM

I was having high temp issues caused by malfunctioning msd distributor and old radiator hoses along with a electric fan that was not working properly {bad bearings}. Figured might as well upgrade radiator while I was at it. Even though they sent me wrong radiator If it was better than my existing I was going to use it. Here is what I found out. 1st thinner cores are better for electric fans,less restrictive. 2nd A 1" tube has more surface area than two 1/2" tubes. So I decided to reuse old radiator with the 1" tubes. I also found out that their is a lot of debate on the issue so I was and still am trying to find out more hoping others with more knowledge will share.

byron w 10-20-2021 08:56 AM

Like Patrick stated, Griffin 2 row with two 1 1/4 tubes

hauss 10-20-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byron w (Post 1498355)
Like Patrick stated, Griffin 2 row with two 1 1/4 tubes

A custom radiator would be $$$$$ I am looking for a drop in solution for my car probably going to be a Missimoto, with a lifetime warranty. It is a 3 pass used for 800hp cars Its part of the x-line series.:cool:

LMH 10-21-2021 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauss (Post 1498359)
A custom radiator would be $$$$$ I am looking for a drop in solution for my car probably going to be a Missimoto, with a lifetime warranty. It is a 3 pass used for 800hp cars Its part of the x-line series.:cool:

Just to give you some comparison when you’re looking at cost, my McCord radiator for a 289 was $1700! It’s brass/copper, nothing fancy.

Larry

hauss 10-23-2021 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1498396)
Just to give you some comparison when you’re looking at cost, my McCord radiator for a 289 was $1700! It’s brass/copper, nothing fancy.

Larry

You sure that it not gold? You know some Italian gold is copper color and sounds like that brass may be gold. $$$$$ :o

undy 10-24-2021 04:50 AM

I'm running a Griffin with 2ea 1 1/2" tube passes.

peterpjb 01-22-2023 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMH (Post 1498396)

Larry

where did you buy your 289 McCord radiator? :)

kitcarbp 01-22-2023 06:14 PM

In the hopes this info will help anyone replacing or planning their rad for their project. I worked with Griffin and had them custom build a rad to my dimensions for my West Coast Cobra. Yes The core uses 2 row 1.25” tubes. My rad sits vertical and is not tilted rearward like originals and other replicas. The goal is to design the tallest and widest rad you can fit in the allowable space. So Im able to fit a core that is 26” x 16” in my app. Im using twin 13” Spals and no shrouding on backside of core. Fans cover 69% of the core surface area. The front fish mouth grill is well sealed and shrouded to force air through the core. In testing on a 100F ambient day, while cruising (above 40 mph) water temp is about 185-190F and 200F at idle while stopped with the twin Spals spinning. Cooler ambients yield lower water temps. Dont forget to maximize water flow with adequate pulley sizes and a quality pump, important for low speed with lots of idle time. My engine produces max 450 hp.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/pict...pictureid=8571

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...d_top_view.jpg

LMH 01-22-2023 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterpjb (Post 1513953)
where did you buy your 289 McCord radiator? :)

Drew Serb.

Larry