Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   RIP Bob Bondurant (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145386-rip-bob-bondurant.html)

jmarsey 11-13-2021 08:03 PM

RIP Bob Bondurant

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Bondurant

KarlzEE Bebout 11-13-2021 08:17 PM

Bob Bondurant had a long, exciting, full life. We should all be so lucky. RIP

Buzz 11-13-2021 09:26 PM

Well said and RIP Bob.

nkb 11-13-2021 09:35 PM

I met Bob at his driving school where I had a blast and learned a lot. I have a plaque with a photo of Bob and me that I will continue to treasure. A true gentleman and champion.

CompClassics 11-13-2021 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
RIP Bob Bondurant

ALF 11-14-2021 03:04 AM

RIP Bob

https://www.autoweek.com/news/people...ctor-has-died/

1795 11-14-2021 04:33 AM

RIP Bob, a true racing professional.

my427cobra 11-14-2021 07:03 AM

The final lap to the checkered flag. RIP Bob.

I will treasure my racing helmet autographed at the 2012 Cobra 50th at Laguna Seca.
Thank you Bob.

Greg

1985 CCX 11-14-2021 08:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RIP Bob

My son Max is a diehard car fan now which was cemented by the attention Bob and Pat gave him at SAAC events. They both had taken their time to foster racing with Max and also commonly had taken him around on their golf cart for hrs. Max remembers these events fondly while now serving in the USMC.

Thank you Bob and Pat
RIP

twobjshelbys 11-14-2021 08:55 AM

I had the chance to meet him many times at both his school and at the Shelby American Collection parties. He was a great person. One of the high points of my life was a 10 minute instructor session with him in his Corvette ZR1. More than hot laps, he was teaching me the course. He told me "you're doing well, but you're underestimating the car's capabilities and it can do a lot more than you're trying for. Push it harder." I did and my times improved after that.

eschaider 11-14-2021 11:44 AM

The cars, the extraordinary men and the events are all passing into the pages of history. Only a small number of these special men remain today. What a great treasure.

Ed

Alfa02 11-14-2021 11:52 AM

RIP Bob, you were one of my Hero's. Got to spend time with Ken, Dave, and Bob , in 1963 as a crew member @ Kent (I was 8yo) Allen is the last one left.

Turbo Ron 11-14-2021 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nkb (Post 1499395)
I met Bob at his driving school where I had a blast and learned a lot. I have a plaque with a photo of Bob and me that I will continue to treasure. A true gentleman and champion.

I never met Bob, but I did the 3 day course when he was in Sonoma. I was 41 at the time. Lots of fun. RIP

Harpoon PV2 11-14-2021 10:25 PM

A funny little story in the life of this great man. Bob was partially responsible for getting Carrol banned from most of the FIA races, (except la Mans) in 1965! At the 65 Monza Bob and Jerry Grant started going way to fast for the delicate 289 engines even after Alan Mann gave the slow signal. Later Alan discovered Shelby had offered a bonus if the Good Year car finished ahead of the other Cobra's. Alan called Ford and told them if Carrol turned up at another race, no Cobra's would start! Alan also threatened Bob, after that Bob was the ultimate team player! His hard work paid off, when he crossed the finish line at Reims, fifth overall to clinch the GT Group III title. Although, Ford and Shelby bragged that on the 4th of July an all American team clinched the World Championship, never mind all the people from the UK, especially, Alan Mann and that the world championship had ceased to exist some months before the first tube was cut for CSX2000.

Bob's codriver was Jo Schlesser, who started to exceed the 6500 rpm limit on the 289. Mann gave the slow signal, but he kept going, finally Alan brought him in and told him he would be replaced by Allen Grant, he slowed down. Jo's wife was furious and threw a champagne bottle at Alan, she didn't understand that Bob and Jo just had to finish in the points!

If that wasn't crazy enough, Gentleman Jack Sears was driving one of the Daytona's when as he said, "it just went bang, I declutched quickly and pushed it for what seemed like a very long way to the pits!" It had thrown a rod, normally, that would be that, but we are talking Cobra's, nothing is normal. Jabby Crombac of Autosport said off hand to Mann, "it was a pity they had to retire." Alan later said, "I asked if he would bet me 100 bottles of champagne that we couldn't finish, and he agreed. So we pulled out the remains of that rod, took out the pushrods from that cylinder, and clamped two bearing caps on the journal. It ran quite well, really ... and we won the champagne." And that is just two races out of Bob's incredible career!

t walgamuth 11-15-2021 03:39 AM

Thanks for the stories!