Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Cobras going for Big Money At Mecum. (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145557-cobras-going-big-money-mecum.html)

RUFdriver 01-15-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unique427 (Post 1502201)
I suppose everyone with a car on cobracountry.com who has seen that
just raised their price $10-20K.

Has it become a seller's market due to supply chain issues?

Or, is this just an example of more money then brains?

This was probably a combination of too much alcohol and a pissing contest.

Unique427 01-15-2022 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUFdriver (Post 1502205)
This was probably a combination of too much alcohol and a pissing contest.

Sounds about right.

Bidder:
"Don't worry honey, I'm nowhere think as you drunk I am and
that Interwebz bidder guy is not going to beat me!"

FredG 01-15-2022 03:49 PM

Replicas

Unless it was one of the originals built in the 60's, everything else is a replica. Remember, your car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Todays auction saw ridiculous money for just about everything. 55k for a 66 289 mustang??? 110k for a Factory Five that was part of a charity auction. Big money for Ford GT's and vintage Vette's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RUFdriver (Post 1502197)
Does the BDR buyer realize it’s a replica? Way overpriced / over bought by about 150k+!

mrmustang 01-15-2022 04:37 PM

I'm not saying this is what is happening, just thinking out loud and asking the simple questions, as I (we) have seen similar in the past.

1: Is the high bidder legit?
or
2: Is someone trying to create a new market pricepoint?
3: Or were two intoxicated people bidding against a phantom bidder and got caught up in the frenzy?

We may never know.

Bill S.

PS: Some might remember back in the late 80's a series of Ferrari dealers getting caught bidding on each others 308's at auction to "make the market". Some might remember a dealer caught doing the same on a Cobra 20 years ago as well.

86Sebring 01-15-2022 05:35 PM

I don't think its funny business, shilling etc.
Prices for collector cars have increased across the board within the past few months, just like meat at the butcher store has gone up at least 30% during the same time period.
Following auctions at BaT one could see a trend when suddenly simple FFR replicas started fetching more than 40k
No more C2 corvettes under 50k, C3's are 30k and up, early Mustang Fastbacks are 50k etc
I don't think prices will come down again to early 2021 levels
It is definitely a sellers market

DanEC 01-16-2022 05:19 AM

Even some of the auctions on BaT are bringing bigger money than expected. Someone bid I think around $126,000 + fee on a base engine 65 Corvette convertible. The car was beautiful, very well detailed to a very high degree. But coupes, 63 split windows and 427 cars are the hot Corvette market right now so everyone on the Corvette Forum was at a loss on this one. This car sold at 63 split or almost 67 427 pricing. Two people wanting a really clean, detailed car I guess.

RUFdriver 01-16-2022 09:12 AM

Thing about auctions, used cars are sold “as is “ so you takes your chances. Do your homework and check emotions at the door if you’re bidding. I have seen cars presented as stock sell for big dollars with a history unbeknownst to anyone of being wrecked and put back together. Remember not everything gets reported to carfax.

Mark IV 01-16-2022 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmustang (Post 1502219)
I'm not saying this is what is happening, just thinking out loud and asking the simple questions, as I (we) have seen similar in the past.

1: Is the high bidder legit?
or
2: Is someone trying to create a new market pricepoint?
3: Or were two intoxicated people bidding against a phantom bidder and got caught up in the frenzy?

We may never know.

Bill S.

PS: Some might remember back in the late 80's a series of Ferrari dealers getting caught bidding on each others 308's at auction to "make the market". Some might remember a dealer caught doing the same on a Cobra 20 years ago as well.

Gee Bill, you wouldn't be insinuating that the auction business is "dirty" now, would you? Oh wait, it must be 'cause "Da Bunnies" are in it!

1985 CCX 01-17-2022 06:46 AM

I think its high across the board, no?
As inflation and supply chain issues seem to be "just" getting noticed by our elected administration many see the market bubble peaking.
Typically houses, cars and valued tangibles rise in this situation as they avoid total losses.

I am not an economist but .............. :rolleyes:

fastpace 01-17-2022 12:41 PM

There were quite a few cars bringing way outside the norm for pricing, not just the Cobras. I think we're starting to see the start of the next wave/generation. There was a good jump that happened in the collector car market around mid 00s, which is where the 60s and 70s muscle cars really boomed.

Right now it seems the 60-70s muscle cars have been relatively flat, and you're starting to see trucks, kit cars, heavy modified, and 80s cars increase quickly. Was surprised seeing things like fox body Mustangs consistently bringing $40k, a couple fox Cobras at $110k, a 79 Trans Am (non-SE) brought $118k, and lots of trucks in the $50k+ with some bringing $100k+.

tonywyso 01-18-2022 03:02 AM

When I see the prices C4 Corvettes going up I will believe the trend is real.

sunman 01-18-2022 07:17 AM

I just made a ton of money on my sweet 86 Indy
I mean a lot
It’s 2022 there’s guys racing rockets to Mars now

Rich L Bailey 01-18-2022 07:02 PM

WOW! I am encouraged by these prices. I am ready to post my Superformance MKIII on the For Sale page here. I’m not asking $200k for her butI wouldn’t turn it down. If you or anyone you know is interested please let me know and we can get into the details.
Also, if anyone can help me get it post in the For Sale page, I would really appreciate the guidance.

Thanks
Rich

patrickt 01-18-2022 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich L Bailey (Post 1502352)
WOW! I am encouraged by these prices. I am ready to post my Superformance MKIII on the For Sale page here. I’m not asking $200k for her butI wouldn’t turn it down. If you or anyone you know is interested please let me know and we can get into the details.
Also, if anyone can help me get it post in the For Sale page, I would really appreciate the guidance.

I would cut the car in half and offer each half at $100k. That way if I only sold one I'd still have half a car plus the hundred grand.:cool:

twobjshelbys 01-18-2022 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich L Bailey (Post 1502352)

Thanks
Rich

You should also get an ad on cobracountry.com

Rich L Bailey 01-18-2022 07:36 PM

Thanks Tony, I may do that as well.
I don’t see a current listing for a Cobra for sale here, not sure if that is good or bad.
We will see

Alfa02 01-19-2022 09:41 AM

Most of us, already has one or two ;) But still a great place to post one. I have a buyer in Washington State, looking for reasonable priced Cobra, with the market what it is, I can't find a (Good One) at his price. I hope @Rich L. Bailey you understand there was at least two alcohol fueled clowns that bid it up to 190K, and in the end he (The winner) was the loser, for that Superformance. The other place to go is BaT, a nice ERA went for a 100K last week (Low, low miles, very nice cond.), and yesterday one brought ( Superformance) brought 65.5K You may have to have more post's before you can put up an ad. Cheers TommyRot.

mrmustang 01-19-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark IV (Post 1502252)
Gee Bill, you wouldn't be insinuating that the auction business is "dirty" now, would you? Oh wait, it must be 'cause "Da Bunnies" are in it!

Lollipops and Unicorns run the back end of the actions. They are cleaner than Mr Clean :JEKYLHYDE

Even "Da Bunnies" know better than to bid while intoxicated :p

Vel87x 01-19-2022 10:51 AM

Man, some of you guys are showing your true Ford-vs-Chevy colors in this thread.

As an owner I love seeing the prices go higher and higher regardless of manufacturer.

FFR's consistently $50k+.....awesome. SPF & BDR's going for $90-110k all day every day....awesome.

It's like you're all afraid of money or something.

twobjshelbys 01-19-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich L Bailey (Post 1502355)
Thanks Tony, I may do that as well.
I don’t see a current listing for a Cobra for sale here, not sure if that is good or bad.
We will see

The reality is this forum is to sellers much like Alpha Centauri was to Arthur Dent. It's a small corner of the universe populated by mostly OWNERS (that already have cars and for the most part aren't looking) and few buyers who stumble into the place but aren't a huge population, relatively speaking. Your market exposure is going to be much higher in a place dedicated to selling. Cobra Country moves probably 5 cars, probably more, for every 1 sold here

Consider the places like Autotrader and Hemmings.

In any case go to cobracountry and get his photo guide for all your pictures. The methods are spot on.