Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   SAAC & Shelby American Collection (Sweepstake Cars) (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145577-saac-shelby-american-collection-sweepstake-cars.html)

Alfa02 01-19-2022 11:38 AM

SAAC & Shelby American Collection (Sweepstake Cars)

I just spoke with Steve Volk, and he asked if I could post this for our club members. These will be the two cars that will be raffled off. The Cobra (Super Snake) for SAAC, and the 2022 Shelby Mustang GT-500 Heritage for the Shelby Museum. tapkat, is Steve's web site, so any question's you have, contact him there. I asked him how many tickets do I need to buy to win the GT-500??? He said just one, The "Winning One" :3DSMILE: https://www.tapkat.win/

twobjshelbys 01-19-2022 12:34 PM

I know Steve from his non-Shelby related business ventures. The Shelby American Collection raffles started off quite small - they had enough tickets to make a tidy profit and pay for the car and you had a good chance of winning. Then they ran afowl of Colorado gaming laws and had to do a true sweepstakes and last one they pulled in over a million bucks in ticket sales and the chances of winning approach powerball. I still enter but not with as many as I used to.

His Tapkat site seems to be getting quite a lot of similar traffic! Good for them! That pontoon boat looks interesting. It'd be perfect on Lake Mead if Lake Mead had any water in it. :)

By the way, some (or all) of these sweepstakes are "open" and require no purchase. All you have to do is follow the rules. It used to be a postcard in an envelope, one per day, but now it looks like it's electronic.

Alfa02 01-19-2022 02:08 PM

I should explain who Steve Volk is, I assumed (And you know when you assume) everyone knew :) He is the head (Curator) of the Shelby American Collection (Boulder Colo.) and just happens to own a couple of very significant Cobras one being CSX2345 (Last all org. 289FIA Cobra), and an all-around good guy. Sorry I didn't point this out, on my earlier post. Cheers

twobjshelbys 01-19-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1502366)
I should explain who Steve Volk is, I assumed (And you know when you assume) everyone knew :) He is the head (Curator) of the Shelby American Collection (Boulder Colo.) and just happens to own a couple of very significant Cobras one being CSX2345 (Last all org. 289FIA Cobra), and an all-around good guy. Sorry I didn't point this out, on my earlier post. Cheers

The Shelby American Collection is THE place to see Cobras and GT40s. Between Volk and the Larry H Miller collection there are more Shelbys in one location there than any other place on the planet. Last time I was there there were 7 GT40s under one roof. The majority are owned by Volk and the Millers, and other choice examples of race winning cars are privately held but on permanent display.

CSX2000 (Carroll's original Cobra of many colors) lives there when it is not making public appearances.

If you're in the Denver area, the museum is a must see. It's only open on Saturday though so plan accordingly.

The annual fundraiser (now on the Saturday before Labor Day) is attended by many of the original California Shelby crowd. Carroll attended until his health didn't allow it any more.(In fact, it used to be a Christmas party, but was moved to the fall for Carroll's health reasons). Bob Bondurant, Peter Brock, Aaron Shelby and many others are regular attendees. Bob passed away and also didn't attend the last one for health reasons. So the "crowd" is getting thin. If you want a chance to meet them, get to one of the parties soon! The ticket is cheap plus it's an open bar, BBQ buffet and ice cream all included :) Maybe with the sweepstakes profits they'll finally start moving forward with a larger facility that isn't a warehouse tucked in a corner of Niwot.

Besides Steve, the other principals are the Murray Brothers (Bill and Dave), world renounded Cobra restorers. Dave is a vintage racer who has driven many of the in the museum to win in vintage races. They are the ones that are always there on Saturday.

(I used to live only a few miles from the museum and went every three or 4 months to check out what was new. Pay careful attention to the areas behind the cars - floors and walls - there are truly some gems hanging around there.)

Alfa02 01-20-2022 01:10 AM

Thank you, Tony for your post. Here's a 3:00+ min. video that explains it all, it's a bucket list for any Cobra owner. Hopefully I can post this, if it's doesn't post PM me and I can send it to you, Cheers. https://vimeo.com/657601698/6c4f42f3bc

twobjshelbys 08-30-2023 02:18 PM

Anyone going to the party this Saturday? I will not be able to make it this year again. We had plans but life got in the way so we had to cancel which disappointed my daughter even more than me.

The GT500 raffle will not be on 2-Sep but a separate event on 9-Sep.

The GT500 was discontinued - this 2022 model is one of the last. It will be interesting to see what they do for next year.

They've pulled in a huge amount of money with the new nation-wide raffle. I hope that soon they will find a new facility, combine the Volk and Miller collections with more space and open more than just Saturday.

Alfa02 08-30-2023 04:11 PM

Tony, I spoke with Steve a couple weeks ago, another building next to the museum has been purchased, remodeling has already begun. I will not be making either, like I thought I would. Always next year, I feel bad as Steve has asked me the last 2years. Karl (Bebout) went last year as our rep. and was treated like a king :)

twobjshelbys 08-30-2023 04:13 PM

They are overflowing some functions into a plumbing company across the cul-de-sac. I wonder if that is the new location.