Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Poly windshield (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145602-poly-windshield.html)

Sn4k33Y3z 01-30-2022 07:49 AM

Poly windshield

Greetings,

I’ve read several threads about the cobra valley poly windshields. Those of you who have had yours for awhile, are you still happy with poly or better yet, if you had to do it over again would you still go with the poly?

Thanks

KarlzEE Bebout 01-30-2022 08:34 AM

DSn4K, I've had my Cobra Valley Poly windshield for at least 40,000 miles. There are no cracks or dings but there is some pitting from all the desert sand in the air where I've driven. It's not so bad as to be a hazard but it is noticeable in bright sunlight and oncoming headlights. Nonetheless, I'm happy with the windshield.

ERA174 01-30-2022 04:47 PM

I don't have any first hand knowledge regarding the pros/cons of poly vs glass windshields. A new windshield is something I will probably have to under take down the road, given my history. I am curious if their is a cost/longevity/optical advantage that would sway me to one or the other. From the posts I have read thus far, I get the impression glass is best, with the understanding it will need to be replaced periodically given the use of the vehicle. I also get the impression that the best poly products will last longer than glass, although not as good optically, can degrade over time and are not DOT approved. So, my uninformed take away is glass is best although more expensive and needs to be replaced more often. Also, the better poly products are close optically to glass, cheaper and will last longer, given some optical degredation over time. It is also my impression that poly will be cheaper in the long run and only need to be replaced if/when the optical clarity degrades. Glass will be more expensive initially and only need to be replaced when it is damaged. I have owned vehicles where windshield damage required replacement numerous times. So, I'm of the opinion that windshield damage is inevitable and poly may be a better financial choice for me. I understand other factors my impact this decision, such as operational environment, requirement for DOT certifications, etc. Thank you in advance for any advise provided, regardless of its impact on my final decision.

Sargie 01-30-2022 05:37 PM

No experience with poly / lexan on a Cobra. Many years on race cars. They degrade quickly in a race environment. The best day is the first day when they are new. As you wash and wipe they get light scratches which eventually turn cloudy. Plexus and other plastic cleaners help with cleaning but not enough to stop the wear. Unless you want it for added safety you’ll be disappointed with its performance. How many windshields do you go through? I’m on my 3rd roadster and had a Daytona coupe never had an issue and live in New England. Roads aren’t very clean.

CJ428CJ 01-31-2022 04:22 PM

I've had the Cobra Valley poly windshield for about 1.5-2 years now and I'm still very pleased with it. It's messy to install but I'd make the same choice if I had to do it all over again.

Chris

scootter 01-31-2022 09:03 PM

I also put mine in a year ago.I am also happy with it. 2 tiny dings. I went through 4 or 5 standard windshields.
I did a lot of tasting etc prior to putting the sealer, so not to bad.
Scott
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...703_151421.jpg