Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Color for new FormaCars Factory 5 roadster (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145889-color-new-formacars-factory-5-roadster.html)

Doublemyv 05-05-2022 11:53 AM

Color for new FormaCars Factory 5 roadster

Hi from SoCal, I have ordered a new Factory 5 Cobra Roadster being built by Formacars in Columbus Ohio. Trying to decide on color, and was wondering if any of you have seen the " Burnished Copper " or the " Tungsten Silver " on any of the replicas out there. The copper color is a Kia color, and the silver color is a bright silver that came on some Backdrafts. Thanks, MM

mrmustang 05-05-2022 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doublemyv (Post 1506134)
Hi from SoCal, I have ordered a new Factory 5 Cobra Roadster being built by Formacars in Columbus Ohio. Trying to decide on color, and was wondering if any of you have seen the " Burnished Copper " or the " Tungsten Silver " on any of the replicas out there. The copper color is a Kia color, and the silver color is a bright silver that came on some Backdrafts. Thanks, MM

Forget about looking at the colors online, as your monitor will not show it properly unless you have a color correcting monitor and the pictures have not been color corrected. What you need to do is find a larger dealer lot and lay your eyes on the color in person. Tungsten Silver is a 2010-2022 VW color. Burnished Copper is a 2021 Kia color. Best bet is to do a search in your area for both, then go down and view them.

Bill S.

Snake2998 05-06-2022 01:43 AM

Anything different to the traditional colors is such a personal thing that I would hesitate to advise you. If you are going non traditional (and there's nothing wrong with that), choose what you like the most, some will love it, some will hate it - ignore the haters.

Tommy 05-06-2022 04:10 AM

When you do settle on a color, have the painter prep a "speed shape" with the same primer color your car will have, and then top it with the same number of color and clear coats you will have. Have him send it to you for final approval. You can discuss with him if you want it different (e.g., brighter, more silver, etc.).

mrmustang 05-06-2022 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy (Post 1506149)
When you do settle on a color, have the painter prep a "speed shape" with the same primer color your car will have, and then top it with the same number of color and clear coats you will have. Have him send it to you for final approval. You can discuss with him if you want it different (e.g., brighter, more silver, etc.).

The above is what is called a "spray out card" in the industry ;)

Bill S.

Tommy 05-06-2022 08:23 AM

Spray out card:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

Speed shape:
https://startechinternational.net/wp...raphy-8470.jpg

I like the 3D speed shape better.

KarlzEE Bebout 05-06-2022 08:29 AM

After driving by a copper colored Cadillac, just gleaming in the sun, 'way back in 2003, I painted my NAF that Cadillac Copper Sunburst. It was pretty stunning and I received a LOT of compliments. I had a ghost stripe and a ghost Chevy bow tie that really messed with people's minds. (I ran a 496 Rat Motor that pushed me to 10.70s:))
I know, I know...BLASPHEMY! :eek:

Harpoon PV2 05-06-2022 10:06 PM

This is how I see it, unless you are one of the few here with a chassis built at Thames Ditton or one of the truly lucky ones with a chassis built at Hollyfield Road in Surbiton, you don't have a real Cobra, so paint it what ever color you like! There were wild original Cobra's, like a purple Dragonsnake, and pink small block, plus a wild psychedelic AC289 Cobra, and I'm sure a bunch of wild colors I don't even know about! The continuation Cobra's should be about, how many smiles to the mile! Cheers, Dennis

Doublemyv 05-10-2022 11:25 AM

Great advice, and I agree that a FFR is about the smiles and miles, and not originality. I have seen a Kia this past weekend when on a motorcycle tour through the Utah national parks around Bryce Canyon. I love copper, but the Kia looked too brown. I think ( with all of your encouragement ) that the silver metallic is the direction to lean. Now I need to go find a late model VW with that color and see it out in the sun in wild. MM