Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Cobra garage vintage stereos (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/145911-cobra-garage-vintage-stereos.html)

xb-60 05-14-2022 02:57 AM

Cobra garage vintage stereos

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1506276)
......I also collect vintage stereos from the 70's (Wattages wars) all have alum. faceplates, and knobs, that have lettering that was painted (Stenciled) on, if you cut though the lettering you just made a high-end piece into nothing more than a garage stereo, I have pieces that run into the thousands of dollars for just one piece..... Cheers Tom.

Couldn't let this post of Alfa02's go past without a comment (ie a picture)

Here's some of my garage art....

Attachment 37566

OK, so it's not a stereo, but it's "garage art" in my non-humble opinion.

Expecting comments from Tom :LOL:

Cheers!
Glen

Alfa02 05-14-2022 09:52 PM

Glen, my friend, if you think I'd come up with some Smart A$$ remark you may be disappointed ;) Those are "Works of Art" and if they make you happy just looking at them and if they make noise so much the better :) I collect (Sansui G-series receiver's and Luxman Components) and I'm a buyer for either, just in case anyone finds them (@ Garage sales, Auctions, etc) My vintage stereos just happen to look beautiful, and sound great. The warmth of the lights, the power meters needles dancing, and the sound that the old pieces reproduce have to be heard, you can close your eyes and be one with the music ;) Just like our Cobras, at static display, the lines are all correct, not a fender out of place, then you add sound, smell, g-forces, and not many other cars come close, to what we have:) Cheers Buddy, Tom.

Harpoon PV2 05-14-2022 10:51 PM

I inherited several vintage radios over the years. From an old Atwater Kent 627 with pedestal, brings back great memories. My friends would ask if it got modern channels, my dad would light it up and try to find the Beatles, my friend thought that was Fab! I have a bunch of others from the 40s through the early 60s. One is an Zenith battery powered table top from the early 30s. Some one long ago pilfered the insides, but the front is there, switches, cloth speaker grill, but the Z needle is broken off, but I can fix that! Recently, I have seen where people use their satellite radios, and use Bluetooth to connect their speakers, and some use vintage radios to hide the speakers, I think that is what I will do, get a yellow led for the diel, pretty Fab if I do say my self!

florencepugh 06-16-2023 06:29 PM

Wow, Glen, your garage art is absolutely impressive! The Codan equipment you have displayed is fascinating and definitely qualifies as a captivating piece of "garage art." contexto

N2Cobras 06-16-2023 07:08 PM

Welcome Aboard

Florence,

Welcome to the Club Cobra forum, there are many knowledgeable like minded car buffs that can answer any questions you may have (if you couldn't find it in a search, I don't post much as most of my questions have already been answered somewhere in the archives, I have been lurking for years before acquiring my ride last winter).

Have you got a ride or just testing the waters as it were before making the plunge?

xb-60 06-16-2023 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by florencepugh (Post 1517940)
Wow, Glen, your garage art is absolutely impressive! The Codan equipment you have displayed is fascinating and definitely qualifies as a captivating piece of "garage art." contexto

Thanks for the comment, florencepugh. Are you familiar with Codan radios (or satelite comms gear, or ....)?
Oh, and welcome to Club Cobra.

Cheers,
Glen

edit: do you have a Cobra replica, or are you working towards buying/building, or maybe you just like the cars (like I did for a long, long time)?

Alfa02 06-19-2023 09:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well Gentlemen, after living in Beautiful Sequim WA. (Diamond Point Airport) and NOT be able to build my dream garage (Neighbors, don't get me started) A good friend said I could rent the back half of his hanger, Perfect :D Plently of room, exc. price. I could put up a vintage stereo for the hanger. then the West Coast Cobra shows up (fell in our laps) Still "Lots of Room" Brent & I were laying on our backs working on changing the fluids, checking the susp, etc. on "Deep Purple" Brent said wouldn't it be nice to have a 4-post hoist, "You bet" maybe one day. Well: that one day came that night on a Email from a friend that does Estate sales, 6-pictures of a "Brand New" 8000lbs (Direct lift) hoist, the only car that was ever on it a 2022 Vette, the gentleman passed away, and the family wanted everything gone!! She said come up with an offer and get back to me, Long story Longer, we did our homework, and before we could call her back, she calls us and said the daughter wants $xxxx amont, which just happen to be $500 less than we would of offered. But don't think we got away with that!! We ended up spending another $800 getting it to the hanger :p Now we have a great place to work on the Cobras, a great stereo system, and even room when Brent brings his Cobra up, Cheers Tom.

Harpoon PV2 06-19-2023 08:43 PM

Wow Tom, I guise good things do come to those that wait! Cheers, Dennis

xb-60 06-19-2023 10:04 PM

A WOW from me too, Tom.
You’ll have to buy some bigger ‘vintage’ speakers now 🤡

Cheers
Glen

Alfa02 06-20-2023 12:07 AM

Hanger Heaven

2 Attachment(s)
This is my Favorite picture of the Brentster, HAND Waxing the hoist, we have a rule, wipe your tire prints off the hoist when done :LOL::LOL::LOL: Glen: I have a Kenwood Ka-5700 amp & Kt-3500 tuner, with a nice pair of vintage JBL L-40t3 speakers, they kick a$$ just fine :3DSMILE: The best thing about the hanger (Noise) firing up the Cobra @Dark-thirty, no one say's Boo. We have 2-War Birds next door, firing up a V-12 (Yak), or 18Cly. Radial is LOUD :eek:, people smile at a little V-8 car engine. Cheers Kids :cool:

xb-60 06-20-2023 12:54 AM

5700 amps!
OK, you win…. I can’t match anything that big, Tom 🙀

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 06-20-2023 01:17 AM

Tom - do you ever sleep? Isn’t it 1.15am in PNW

Cheers
Glen

Alfa02 06-20-2023 01:24 AM

Cute Glen :) , but a Kenwood KA-5700 has only (55 "Real" Watts Per channel) ;) Anything over a 100WPC is considered a "Monster" back in the 70's. I do have a pair of Speakerlab 7WA, that will handle 480WPC, the biggest receiver I had was a Sansui G-22000 with 220WPC, look one of those up, with those three pieces I could collapse the hanger, 109DB @ 10watts, that's clean music, not just noise :) https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...mplifier-tune/

Alfa02 06-20-2023 01:34 AM

Funny you mention that Glen, My ex-wife only slept 4-5 hours a night, I kinda got into her habit, after all these years I still have that habit :) Every 4-5 days I do end up sleeping a full 8hours though. Cheers Buddy.