Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   What Does the A C stand for (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/44666-what-does-c-stand.html)

Bulld0g 08-24-2003 06:53 AM

What Does the A C stand for

Ok here it goes what the "A C" in "A C Cobra" stand for I know I'm opening up a whole can of worms on my behalf by I want to know

**)

cobrajeff 08-24-2003 07:01 AM

Auto Carriers, Ltd

they made bikes and carts before cars

Jeff

Roscoe 08-24-2003 07:23 AM

The original chassis and bodies were made by AC in England. There is also a kit manufacturer here named Antiques & Collectibles, AKA : AC

Roscoe

Woodz428 08-24-2003 01:21 PM

You're kidding right,everyone knows it stands for Allis Chalmers, the best damn tractor they ever made:)........it doesn't stand for Allis Chalmers?

SCOBRAC 08-24-2003 01:34 PM

No. But it's an easy mistake, you being from rural Illinois and all. How is that wife, er sister of yours anyway? :LOL:

Woodz428 08-25-2003 05:10 AM

You crazy Californians, always getting the other 49 states confused, we only date our siblings,we don't marry them. No wonder you're having so much trouble out there now, I'm glad I moved from there when I got old enough to appreciate the finer things, like less regulations,taxes,Hollywood know-it-alls......and the list goes on.:D

BMK 08-25-2003 07:36 AM

Hi all

You guys take no prisoners :eek:

AC - Auto Carriers is my understanding but isn't there a AC now called Auto Craft :confused:

Cheers all :3DSMILE:

Bernie

Mt. Gambier South Australia
Home of the famous Blue Lake **)

misfit41 08-25-2003 08:00 AM

lol,,it stands for " Aero Plane Company" no joke,,Tk

Excaliber 08-25-2003 08:02 AM

I thought it was Auto Carriers too.......

Ernie

Okiesnake 08-25-2003 10:40 AM

See http://www.autoclassic.com/features/...1901-1920.html
"1904 The firm, then known as Autocar & Accessories Limited, produced a commercial vehicle known as the Autocarrier. This was a 5.6 hp air cooled single cylinder tricycle built as a delivery vehicle – which proved successful."
..."1907 A passenger-carrying version of the Autocarrier was made, known as the Sociable. Its simple and practical design ensured its production until 1915. The abbreviation AC was used for the first time and in November a new company was formed, Autocarriers Limited, taking over Autocar & Accessories but with Weller and Portwine still as Directors."

speed220mph 08-25-2003 11:22 AM

More Info:
1907 - A passenger-carrying version of the Autocarrier was created, known as the Sociable. Its simple and practical design ensured its production until 1915. The abbreviation AC was used for the first time and in November a new company was formed, Autocarriers Limited, taking over Autocar & Accessories but with Weller and Portwine still as Directors.

MJN 08-25-2003 01:57 PM

Man you guys are too much........I'm glad nobody takes you seriously! For the real story go here

http://www.accars.co.uk/Content/MainMenu/fsMain.html

Excaliber 08-25-2003 04:28 PM

Yup,,,that link aboves confirms it. Autocarrier,,,,appears to be ONE word,,,,,,,,,,,, seriously! lol

Ernie

Okiesnake 08-25-2003 06:25 PM

Out of curiosity, I emailed AC Cars and their official response to What does AC stand for?

Hello:

AC does not stand for anything.

However, you are correct, it was called Auto Carriers at some time, which was then shortened to AC.

Regards,

AC Cars

Excaliber 08-25-2003 07:52 PM

Ah whadda they know.......

Ernie

POT8OS 10-19-2017 05:01 AM

Auto Carriers.......I'm very surprised I did not know as my wife said, I know everything.:rolleyes:

cycleguy55 10-19-2017 10:22 AM

From Wikipedia, quite a history of changing owners and name changes:

In 1904 a new company was founded and named Autocars and Accessories; production started with the Auto-Carrier. The vehicle caught on quickly and was a financial success.

The company became Auto Carriers Ltd. in 1911 and moved to Ferry Works, Thames Ditton, Surrey—at this time they also began using the famed "AC" roundel logo.

In 1922, the name changed again to AC Cars Ltd.

Selwyn Edge bought the company outright for £135,000 in 1927 and re-registered it as AC (Acedes) Ltd

After selling the historic High Street works for redevelopment, AC themselves soldiered on as a service operation in the "21st Century" works on Summer Road until the Hurlock family finally sold their holdings in 1986 to William West.

After some complex machinations the company was split between property interests and the car brand; the former was renamed and the latter was acquired by C.P.Autokraft's owner Brian Angliss.

In 1982 Brian Angliss was running Autokraft, a Cobra restoration shop, parts supplier and replica manufacturer.

Early cars were sold as the Autokraft MKIV, but eventually Angliss acquired the rights to use the AC name.

When the Hurlock family finally sold up in 1986 Angliss fully acquired the AC trademark rights and set up a new AC company as a joint venture with Ford, who had also recently bought Aston Martin.

In March 1996, largely due to the cost of developing the new Ace, Angliss' company went into receivership and was eventually sold to Pride Automotive in December 1996, who continued car production in Weybridge, Surrey under the name of AC Car Group Ltd.

In August 2002, AC Motor Holdings Ltd, was incorporated in Malta.

In 2003, Carroll Shelby International and AC Motor Holdings, Ltd. announced production of an authentic Shelby/AC Cobra, with the production vehicle arriving at dealers in July 2004. Initially, available models included Shelby AC 427 S/C Cobra and Shelby AC 289 FIA Cobra, which would be branded as the CSX 1000 and CSX 7500 Series, respectively.

In August 2008, Acedes Holdings Llc, was incorporated in St Kitts.

At the Geneva Motor Show in 2012, AC Cars showed three different models: the AC MK VI, AC MK II Classic, and AC 378 GT Zagato.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cars

keezling 10-19-2017 11:17 AM

It comes from the response to the question, "is that an old Corvette? No, ACobra".

jon@harrison.ne 10-19-2017 07:38 PM

At the Forest Grove (near Portland, Oregon) Concours several years ago Jim Feldman brought his 1904 Auto Carrier. Jim has one of the best collections of AC cars, and he drives most of them (not the Auto Carrier though). One year he brought a drop dead gorgeous very late 2.6 Ace, the one with the grill opening similar to the 260 Cobra.

FWB 10-20-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodz428 (Post 380353)
You're kidding right,everyone knows it stands for Allis Chalmers, the best damn tractor they ever made:)........it doesn't stand for Allis Chalmers?

i think AC would have had an upgrade in brand recognition if they were associated with Allis Chalmers. instead they got bailed out by a chicken farmer.......:eek: