Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Kirkham Cars (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/49962-kirkham-cars.html)

Bruce Robles 01-31-2004 09:25 PM

Kirkham Cars

I ordered a Kirkham at thier Open House a few weeks ago and I was wondering if any of you Kirkham owners have any interesting info you might like to share in respect to any problems you might have come up against while completeing your cars.

Thanks

Bruce

PatBuckley 01-31-2004 09:56 PM

Mine didn't have an engine or transmission. I'm still a little miffed about that

Steve R 01-31-2004 10:30 PM

Pat,
I can't believe you're still obsessing over that. Get a grip.
Steve

Bud Man 02-01-2004 07:23 AM

Bruce:

Congratulations on your purchase...you will soon own the finest, most accurate reproduction of the Cobra available today....but then, you already know that! :3DSMILE:

When I was building #142, the car was about 60% to the "roller" stage. Assuming you have bought a roller, many of the issues I encountered regarding fit and fabrication will be moot. For me, the most challenging part was understanding and anticipating the proper assembly sequence. An error here isn't the end of the world but it can potentially undo a lot of work.

From an actual fabrication standpoint, spotting and cutting the sidepipe holes was the most nerve racking for me as I had seen several "pro built" cars with oversize, improperly contoured, and sloppily finished body cuts, and I was determined that mine meet a proper standard. Unlike a 'glass car, once you start cutting those holes, a mistake is tough to hide, particularly if you are leaving it in natural aluminum. If you look in my gallery you will see the results.

Feel free to email me as you begin the final engine and trans installation and assembly. There are a few unexpected bumps in the road that you need to know can pop up, but I think you will find it pretty straightforward if you plan carefully, use the proper equipment, take your time, and ask for help when you run into a problem.

Again, congratulations. ;)

Bud
:JEKYLHYDE :JEKYLHYDE :JEKYLHYDE

Bruce Robles 02-02-2004 11:58 PM

Bud Man,
Thanks for your input. The Kirkhams now take care of the placement and fab. of the Side Pipe hole if you order the Headers and Side Pipes from them, which I did.
I plan to install the engine first and then the trans thru the interior by removing the tunnel pieces.
Did you have them install your carpet? And also, where is your battery located? I would prefer to mount mine in the trunk on the shelf behind the bulkhead.
And finally, are you using a Clutch Slave Cylinder of a Hydraulic throwout bearing (Tilton of other)? I'd prefer the Slave since I have heard from reliable sources that the hydraulic bearings leak and are a pain in the back. Fine if you are a racer and tearing into the car every other week but a hassel for street driving. If you used a Slave who's did you use and where did you get the mounting bracket, and fork for it?

Thanks

Bruce Robles 02-03-2004 12:07 AM

Bud Man,
I love your car. I'm going for originality too. Who's headers are on your car? Are the Jet Hotted or painted?

RaceDeck 02-03-2004 07:05 AM

Congrats! on your purchase of an "Original Kirkham" motorcar! :D

LateApex 02-03-2004 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bud Man

From an actual fabrication standpoint, spotting and cutting the sidepipe holes was the most nerve racking for me as I had seen several "pro built" cars with oversize, improperly contoured, and sloppily finished body cuts, and I was determined that mine meet a proper standard. Unlike a 'glass car, once you start cutting those holes, a mistake is tough to hide, particularly if you are leaving it in natural aluminum. If you look in my gallery you will see the results.

:LOL: :LOL:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels that way!