Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   rumor control--has SAAC lost its use of Shelby name? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/83483-rumor-control-has-saac-lost-its-use-shelby-name.html)

Excaliber 12-04-2007 01:37 PM

Guess I'll just have to drive around neked till I figure it out... :D

Attention, the mob meets in the town center tonight, bring your torch!

VRM 12-04-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerworks
No, not really. The basis of the legal request is to prevent SAAC from using the name "SAAC" on their published book...not a request for the content.
...not because they want to steal the name, but because the "S-A" stands for Shelby American... which is the mark they are revoking the license for.

Hey...if they are good business people, they would buy the classic volumes of the registry from SAAC wholesale and slap their own cover on it.

Just like aluminum cars.... :eek: whoa... ...did I say that? ..sorry. :p

But S.A.A.C. could just change their name to SAAC, and forget about it standing for anything. Or maybe it stands for Serious Aluminum American Cars.:JEKYLHYDE Most people just call it SAAC anyway. With Shelby submitting a trademark application for SAAC (no abbreviations), that option would be eliminated as well. That is the part about this that looks vindictive.

Steve

nikbj68 12-04-2007 01:44 PM

Someone should tell Kopek to copyright S.A.A.C as I didn`t see mention of punctuation in the Shelby claim!

[edit]POSTCRASH! Are we on the same wavelength, Steve?

or hows about "ESSAYAYSEE"?

1ntCobra 12-04-2007 01:49 PM

Perhaps a new name TACFKASAAC (The Auto Club Formerly Know As S.A.A.C.).

But then again the Artist Formerly Known As Prince might have a problem with that. :3DSMILE:

VRM 12-04-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikbj68
Someone should tell Kopek to copyright S.A.A.C as I didn`t see mention of punctuation in the Shelby claim!

[edit]POSTCRASH! Are we on the same wavelength, Steve?

or hows about "ESSAYAYSEE"?

I think I said something similar a few pages back.
Copyright is a completely different thing than a trademark.
But perhaps they should trademark the S.A.A.C., or maybe just A.A.C., but with the image of the s shaped snake in front of it.

Steve

nikbj68 12-04-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VRM
I think I said something similar a few pages back.
Copyright is a completely different thing than a trademark.
But perhaps they should trademark the S.A.A.C., or maybe just A.A.C., but with the image of the s shaped snake in front of it.

Steve

Ooops, post in haste, get picked apart at leisure! :LOL:
I did mean TM, not copyright! (but not editing above post, sir Jamo!!!:p )
Seriously though, the wording of the lawyer`s letter is so ambiguous to my uneducated english eyes.....maybe you American legalese read it clearer? as to be almost invalid.

RodKnock 12-04-2007 02:32 PM

Useless information and trying to get to 50 pages.

The artist formerly known as Prince is now known as Prince again.

Why didn't SAI just "raise the rent" to SAAC? Double or triple the licensing fees instead of just cutting them off?

imagine2frolic 12-04-2007 02:38 PM

It will hit 50...NO DOUBT...when it will stop is the question? It's like a huge snowball again gaining momentum....LOOK OUT DOWN BELOW

Power Surge 12-04-2007 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RodKnock
Useless information and trying to get to 50 pages.

The artist formerly known as Prince is now known as Prince again.

Why didn't SAI just "raise the rent" to SAAC? Double or triple the licensing fees instead of just cutting them off?

Because it's not about money. It's about someone other than Carroll getting the glory.

1ntCobra 12-04-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1ntCobra
You are too conservative. I'll say 44 pages by 23:59:59 on December 15th (unless the thread gets closed before then).

Great another bad estimate!

No wonder everyone in my department has been told they have to read "Software Estimation: Demystifying the Black Art". :rolleyes:

RodKnock 12-04-2007 02:47 PM

Oh, I thouught it always boils down to the money. My bad. So by asserting his brand, he will get more glory? Does he need more glory? I would think he has enough.

Power Surge 12-04-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Oh, I thouught it always boils down to the money. My bad. So by asserting his brand, he will get more glory? Does he need more glory? I would think he has enough.

The same could be said for money ;) .

VRM 12-04-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikbj68
Ooops, post in haste, get picked apart at leisure! :LOL:
I did mean TM, not copyright! (but not editing above post, sir Jamo!!!:p )
Seriously though, the wording of the lawyer`s letter is so ambiguous to my uneducated english eyes.....maybe you American legalese read it clearer? as to be almost invalid.

Yep, the letters seemed vague to me as well. Somebody posted a copy of the first letter, but it may have been on another forum.

I have not really formed an opinion about the whole thing yet as I think that there are things going on that none of us know about. The one thing I am not happy about is Shelby going for the SAAC trademark. Regardless of what might be going on behind the scenes, that just seems over the top and vindictive.
However, because I don't know what the full situation is I can't say that I would not have gone for the trademark myself. I just can't imagine a set of circumstances where that would be my response to a group that has supported me for decades.:CRY:

I'm hoping that this will shake out with both groups alive at the end. I think the competition from another group and young blood would be good for SAAC, and the honesty, organisation, and integrity of SAAC will be good for Team Shelby.

Steve

A-Snake 12-04-2007 02:53 PM

First, if anyone is removing original badges from their original Cobras please contact me. I will take them off your hands. ;)

Second, CW if your GT350 will be worth 40% less in five years than the market value today, I think I can make you some money. I'll buy it today at the 40% discount. You invest the money...see where I'm going? :MECOOL:

A-Snake 12-04-2007 02:58 PM

Sorry if this has already been posted on this forum. It was noted on another site. It's a Shelby 'interview'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjCBPqJvmGc

Trevor Legate 12-04-2007 02:59 PM

Oh just drop the SA and call the club AC - hey, they could then get into the business of car production!!! I got a great idea for a neat little sports car...are you listening Kopec....????

1ntCobra 12-04-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

It's not money or glory. It's that SAAC looks down on the Shelby Dodges and Shelby Oldsmobiles. :JEKYLHYDE

A-Snake 12-04-2007 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor Legate
Oh just drop the SA and call the club AC - hey, they could then get into the business of car production!!! I got a great idea for a neat little sports car...are you listening Kopec....????

It wouldn't have to involve Lucas would it?%/

Igofastr 12-04-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

It's not money or glory. It's that SAAC looks down on the Shelby Dodges and Shelby Oldsmobiles. :JEKYLHYDE

But doesn't everyone?

RodKnock 12-04-2007 05:06 PM

Quote:

You mean other than CSX4000's. Oops, I'm only kidding. :LOL: Hey CW (Ron) did it too with the "repackaged registry" crack.