10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-01-2008, 06:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     
Default Where do I buy a rivet on hood scoop?

My car is going in for paint. At the same time I'm going to have them cut off the molded in hood scoop and rivet on a proper rivet on scoop. I'm looking for a well made 427 S/C fiberglass hood scoop of the proper size and shape exactly as original. I see Finish Line has one, but they call it "plastic" which I fear may be some flimsy thing. I would like a nice sturdy fiberglass scoop. I wouldn't mind aluminum, but the only one I've seen is Kirkham, and I don't live in their financial neighborhood, unfortunately.

Besides, I've emailed them about parts in the past and never received an answer. Any ideas, anyone? Has anyone bought a nice sturdy correct size and shape hood scoop lately? Thanks.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

You might try:
AC Cobra Replica
John
Old 03-01-2008, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

Seems like Cobra Restorers had two styles, one regular and one a little bigger for use with Webers. Maybe someone from ERA or the other manufactures that make them for their replicas will chime in. I got an aluminum one from someone that posted on the for sale forum about a year ago, as I thought the aluminum might be a little easier to 'expand' if I needed some extra height for the tunnelwedge.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks John. For reasons I'd rather discuss privately I'd be reluctant to do that. I appreciate the heads up though. Anyone else? I've tried in the past to buy parts at Kirkham and they never have answered me. I've tried to buy parts from ERA and they twice told me they "don't want to get involved" since my car is not an ERA.

No hard feelings in either case, it just gets a bit more challenging trying to buy things that you guys with active companies take for granted. In some perverse way it almost adds to the fun to have to go off on a treasure hunt for every little thing!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Darn, what a dunce I am!
I checked Cobra Restorers previously and didn't see hood scoops. Thanks to your post, CJ, I went back and checked again. Aluminum scoop for about $100.00 - can't beat that. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

AC Cobra Fiberglass Hood Scoop

Disregard! I'd go with the aluminum one for $100!!

Last edited by fsstnotch; 03-01-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 03-01-2008, 07:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary frame, Midstates kevlar body, Aluminum Shelby 427, G-force T-5
Not Ranked     

Forgot about Branda, that is what I used on my Midstates. It had a nice finish. It seemed to be an optimum thickness without being too thick and 'clumsy' looking'. I actually used aluminum rivets, and it held up fine and didn't crack. Jeff M.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So what do you guys think? Aluminum or fiberglass scoop? The hood is fiberglass.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gulf GT40 CAV137, Cobra ERA286
Not Ranked     

Hey Doug... Take a close look at mine. It is an aluminum Weber scoop. I believe the same that CR's sells. I would definately go alum!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave,
That's cruel and unusual punishment, making me look at your car. Mine will NEVER be that nice........

What do you mean by a "Weber" scoop? Is it a different size than a normal S/C scoop?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Whats wrong with drilling holes around the scoop in the hood you have and then add the pop-rivets?

If it looks terrible, go for the replacement hood.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I seen what you mean Doug, they only list the regular one, but if you look at the pic, they show the 'Weber' style (one on the right) which is wider and a little bit taller. Maybe you can call them and see if it is still available. Might be a better choice if you are actually going with Webers to ensure you have clearance, plus it might help 'cover' where you removed the molded scoop.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CJ,
Yeah, I'll talk to them. I got the headers from Cobra Restorers, and they were good to deal with. The headers I got from them fit like a glove - real nice job on them.

Warren,
I thought of that but in the end it just won't look "right", but rather just a bit less "wrong". Might as well do it right the first time. The guy painting my car is charging me very little to take the molded in scoop off and redo it with a proper rivet on scoop. All in all, it'll probably be less than $200 complete, including the scoop.

Thanks, guys.

Now, if I could just get someone to measure their Weber setup for me. So far no luck.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
Now, if I could just get someone to measure their Weber setup for me. So far no luck.
Start a new thread with a new title and make sure "Weber" is included. Are you looking for dimensions on the hood scoop? Be specific in your question.

Did original Cobras have different hood scoops dependent on the induction type? Or is the Weber hood an aftermarket creation? I do not know. Just thinking out loud.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtm442 View Post
Start a new thread with a new title and make sure "Weber" is included. Are you looking for dimensions on the hood scoop? Be specific in your question.
I did - no luck, I guess everyone is busy.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: hurricane 1075
Not Ranked     

jockey I have 2 scoops 1 alu and 1 glass I'm in long beach if you are interested pm me

bobby
Old 03-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Doug,

Remember to use small rivots and put them in before paint as original cars had painted rivots. Jeff
Old 03-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by berzerko View Post
jockey I have 2 scoops 1 alu and 1 glass I'm in long beach if you are interested pm me

bobby
Bobby,
I'd be interested in one of your scoops. For some reason the forum won't let me PM you. Can you try to PM me? I'll try to email you as well. My email is DMarotta737@gmail.com. Try that too!
Doug