Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   Where do I buy a rivet on hood scoop? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/85683-where-do-i-buy-rivet-hood-scoop.html)

767Jockey 03-01-2008 06:53 PM

Where do I buy a rivet on hood scoop?

My car is going in for paint. At the same time I'm going to have them cut off the molded in hood scoop and rivet on a proper rivet on scoop. I'm looking for a well made 427 S/C fiberglass hood scoop of the proper size and shape exactly as original. I see Finish Line has one, but they call it "plastic" which I fear may be some flimsy thing. I would like a nice sturdy fiberglass scoop. I wouldn't mind aluminum, but the only one I've seen is Kirkham, and I don't live in their financial neighborhood, unfortunately.

Besides, I've emailed them about parts in the past and never received an answer. Any ideas, anyone? Has anyone bought a nice sturdy correct size and shape hood scoop lately? Thanks.

double ugly 03-01-2008 07:02 PM

You might try:
AC Cobra Replica
John

cobrajam 03-01-2008 07:05 PM

Seems like Cobra Restorers had two styles, one regular and one a little bigger for use with Webers. Maybe someone from ERA or the other manufactures that make them for their replicas will chime in. I got an aluminum one from someone that posted on the for sale forum about a year ago, as I thought the aluminum might be a little easier to 'expand' if I needed some extra height for the tunnelwedge.

767Jockey 03-01-2008 07:09 PM

Thanks John. For reasons I'd rather discuss privately I'd be reluctant to do that. I appreciate the heads up though. Anyone else? I've tried in the past to buy parts at Kirkham and they never have answered me.:rolleyes: I've tried to buy parts from ERA and they twice told me they "don't want to get involved" since my car is not an ERA.:confused:

No hard feelings in either case, it just gets a bit more challenging trying to buy things that you guys with active companies take for granted. In some perverse way it almost adds to the fun to have to go off on a treasure hunt for every little thing! :LOL:

767Jockey 03-01-2008 07:12 PM

Darn, what a dunce I am!:LOL:
I checked Cobra Restorers previously and didn't see hood scoops. Thanks to your post, CJ, I went back and checked again. Aluminum scoop for about $100.00 - can't beat that. Thanks!:D

fsstnotch 03-01-2008 07:15 PM

AC Cobra Fiberglass Hood Scoop

Disregard! I'd go with the aluminum one for $100!!

cobrajam 03-01-2008 07:44 PM

Forgot about Branda, that is what I used on my Midstates. It had a nice finish. It seemed to be an optimum thickness without being too thick and 'clumsy' looking'. I actually used aluminum rivets, and it held up fine and didn't crack. Jeff M.

767Jockey 03-01-2008 08:21 PM

So what do you guys think? Aluminum or fiberglass scoop? The hood is fiberglass.

bmwdb10 03-01-2008 08:26 PM

Hey Doug... Take a close look at mine. It is an aluminum Weber scoop. I believe the same that CR's sells. I would definately go alum!

767Jockey 03-01-2008 08:34 PM

Dave,
That's cruel and unusual punishment, making me look at your car. Mine will NEVER be that nice........:o :CRY:

What do you mean by a "Weber" scoop? Is it a different size than a normal S/C scoop?

wtm442 03-01-2008 09:24 PM

Whats wrong with drilling holes around the scoop in the hood you have and then add the pop-rivets?

If it looks terrible, go for the replacement hood.

cobrajam 03-01-2008 09:43 PM

I seen what you mean Doug, they only list the regular one, but if you look at the pic, they show the 'Weber' style (one on the right) which is wider and a little bit taller. Maybe you can call them and see if it is still available. Might be a better choice if you are actually going with Webers to ensure you have clearance, plus it might help 'cover' where you removed the molded scoop.
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...0/CRscoops.jpg

767Jockey 03-01-2008 09:53 PM

CJ,
Yeah, I'll talk to them. I got the headers from Cobra Restorers, and they were good to deal with. The headers I got from them fit like a glove - real nice job on them.

Warren,
I thought of that but in the end it just won't look "right", but rather just a bit less "wrong". Might as well do it right the first time. The guy painting my car is charging me very little to take the molded in scoop off and redo it with a proper rivet on scoop. All in all, it'll probably be less than $200 complete, including the scoop.

Thanks, guys.

Now, if I could just get someone to measure their Weber setup for me. So far no luck.:CRY:

wtm442 03-02-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 767Jockey (Post 820880)
Now, if I could just get someone to measure their Weber setup for me. So far no luck.:CRY:

Start a new thread with a new title and make sure "Weber" is included. Are you looking for dimensions on the hood scoop? Be specific in your question.

Did original Cobras have different hood scoops dependent on the induction type? Or is the Weber hood an aftermarket creation? I do not know. Just thinking out loud. :confused:

767Jockey 03-02-2008 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wtm442 (Post 820965)
Start a new thread with a new title and make sure "Weber" is included. Are you looking for dimensions on the hood scoop? Be specific in your question.

I did - no luck, I guess everyone is busy.

berzerko 03-02-2008 03:06 PM

jockey I have 2 scoops 1 alu and 1 glass I'm in long beach if you are interested pm me

bobby

1985 CCX 03-02-2008 03:21 PM

Doug,

Remember to use small rivots and put them in before paint as original cars had painted rivots. Jeff

767Jockey 03-02-2008 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berzerko (Post 821050)
jockey I have 2 scoops 1 alu and 1 glass I'm in long beach if you are interested pm me

bobby

Bobby,
I'd be interested in one of your scoops. For some reason the forum won't let me PM you. Can you try to PM me? I'll try to email you as well. My email is DMarotta737@gmail.com. Try that too!
Doug