Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   ALL COBRA TALK (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/)
-   -   What the best gasoline mix to use? (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/87023-what-best-gasoline-mix-use.html)

SantaFe66 04-20-2008 05:01 PM

Here's the claim, right from their website:

Octane Supreme 130 Octane Boost
oz. per 1 US gal. (full points) R+M/2
.6 2.0
1.2 3.5
1.8 5.0
2.4 6.5
3.0 8.0
6.0 11.0
18.0 16.0

Boosts Octane from 2–16 full points
(not 0.1 points but full octane numbers)

Protects and lubricates the valve train.

1.2 ounces of Octane Supreme 130 to 20 gallons (US) of fuel
provides the minimum amount of lead protection
needed to maintain and lubricate engines designed
to run on leaded gasoline.

1.8 ounces of Octane Supreme 130 to 10 gallons (US) of fuel
will turn a 93 octane into a 98 octane.
3.0 ounces of Octane Supreme 130 to 10 gallons (US) of fuel
will turn a 93 octane into a 101 octane.

(Octane numbers in this section are based on R+M/2)

Due to US EPA regulations this product is for off road use only.

http://www.kemcooil.com/products.php?cId=4

1 quart (free shipping to USA only) $20.75

In the early 90's, I used 100/130 aviation gas in my race motorcycle. It had 12.5/1 compression and was raced on the West Coast at sea level, primarily. It worked fine, just as good as the race fuel sold at the track for big bucks. It did not damage my motor at all. Now, however, you would have to buy 100LL, which does have more lead than pump gas. Don't think that's a bad thing, however. The additive product above is, after all, tetra-ethyl lead. Aviation fuel is formulated to prevent vapor-lock, which isn't a problem when you're rolling on the ground (you just pull over and wait till things cool). Also, most 4 cyl aircraft engines are low compression by our standards and won't knock.

Paul

Excaliber 04-20-2008 05:32 PM

Wynn's, STP, NOS and Hot Shot was tested on a dyno by "5th Gear". Power output was DOWN 2% for all of them. But STP was the real winner, it was DOWN 6% at wide open throttle. But you can count on one thing, the web sites for these products will positively conclude they 'really really work', honest. :LOL:

I have a hunch there may be a few 'boosters' that actually DO work. But relying on a sales outlet for the product, the company itself or 'testimonials' for data just isn't reliable information.

There is, how ever a 'pill' that improves gas mileage, it looks really good. I saw a great clip of it on U-Tube, so it must be OK. :D

Scott S 04-20-2008 06:02 PM

Isn't toluene and lacquer thinner the same stuff?

I have had great luck with the linner over the years.

Scott S

fsstnotch 04-20-2008 06:21 PM

I dirt race with a SBC at 12:1. I used to run the toulene method but again.. you're still mixing which gets old. Then a buddy and I just started buying 110 in 55 gal form. He stores it in his shop and we split the cost. If you have somewhere to store it, buy yourself a mechanical pump (not electric) and go to town. You will be MUUUCH happier with this.

I've heard bad things about people who run alot of octane boost. Anythign from ruining plugs, plugging carbs and injectors, to eating gas tanks. Not to mention, if you actually calc how much octane you really get from a bottle of boost... it's not worth the $$.

BTW, my buddy bought a new drum last month and paid under $5/gal for 110. It was about a $1 more per gallon than I could buy 93 at the pump in PA.

Ibr8k4vetts 04-20-2008 06:48 PM

I have 10.5 to 1 with aluminum heads and can run 89 Octane.

Excaliber 04-20-2008 07:01 PM

10.5 to 1 with alloy heads is right on the edge, but yeah, you should be able to get away with that AND maintain a decent timing advance curve. You could get away with even more compression by reducing the max timing and curve of when it comes into play. This was primarily what I did with my 12.5 to 1 and iron heads, reduced the timing, worked OK. BUT, running race gas and advancing the timing was like night and day in the power output!

John McMahon 04-20-2008 07:30 PM

If you guys want to sit here and guess and err on the bad side...go ahead. Any moder past (about 10.3:1) should be running on no less that 100 octane. I have seen moders detonate and punch holes in 4 out of 8 pistons due to this detonation. My AS Mustang was right on that line and I spent the bucks and bought the fuel as 'insurance', cheaper than a new moder.

Good judgement is usually in hind sight, spend the extra dough on an 11:1 moder and run the good stuff.

%/%/%/

Ronbo 04-20-2008 09:14 PM

I dunno about all this...

We had plenty of cars from the 60's that had baseline engines running 10:1 and they seemed to run fine on 89 octane regular. The 12:1 engines were another story.

Scrap the carb and recoup the FI system cost in running pump gas, better milage, reduced engine wear, ect. ect. While your top-end may drop off slightly (although the guy at Kieth Craft said no), your actual operating range will improve greatly.

Unless your trailering your Cobra to the track it makes more sense to adopt the car to the fuel than the other way around.

As far as the gas, well we have a huge fuel storage area here in Jax I watched tanker trucks from four different companies fill up at the same BP pump station. (Texaco, Hess, Gate, and Shell)

Anyone see the T2 plant explosion? I was home that day, thought something hit the house (hard) and I'm about 5 miles away. Hellava bang, pretty much leveled everything within a 1/4 mi. of the plant. I've been told they found gurders from the building almost a mile away.

You can always add toluline or xylene but it's some nasty stuff, I don't like fooling around with it myself. Ketones like these make my stomach turn even from a wiff of them. I think this is what they made at the T2 plant. (news just reported it as "fuel addatives")

bret a ewing 04-21-2008 09:08 AM

FWB,

Got your note too late. Yes I live just North of Allentown.
Always have beer on tap.

JB, Sunoco changed from 94 to 93 about 1.5 years ago, I was sad. As I stated earlier, I don't hear any pinging, but I add some "good stuff" as a precaution.

727pilot@usa.co 04-21-2008 09:17 AM

Let me weigh in on the Avgas discussion.

A few years ago Shell wanted to stop making 80 octane avgas. They, without the benefit of any research, talked the FAA into believing that their "100 octane Low Lead" product was safe to use in engines requiring 80.

Today you can not buy much anything BUT 100 Octane Low Lead.

Here is the interesting part. That fuel has 3.5 grams of lead per gallon! I mean calling it "Low Lead" is kind of like calling my wife's dishwasher "Controlled Sound". (Yeah, it's printed right on the front of it and it sounds only a little less loud than a 727 taxiing through the kitchen.)

Since that time there have been numerous Airworthiness Directives that involve pulling cylinders off Lycoming Engines, Changing valves, replacing cam shafts and who knows what else.

Bottom Line - save the five bucks a gallon. There are a whole lot better ways to get the octane you need.

tmareina 04-21-2008 09:32 AM

Mine is a 428 solid roller cam, pretty radical with eddlebrock heads and 11.4-1 compression. 38 degree advance. It does not ping on Chevron or Shell 91 pump gas...however I put 5 gal. of 100LL av. gas in it (18 gal. tank) or a bottle of Lucas Racing octaine boost when I can't get av. gas. It does run better with Av. gas added. I do live at about 3700 feet altitude also...that probably makes a difference too. The engine idles at 1100 at altitude and about 1200 in Sacramento. The exhaust is medium+ gray so it's not running too rich.

Tom

JBCOBRA 04-21-2008 10:14 AM

Hi Bret!
Sweet POS! LOL
Allentown is not far at all. I will head up to see you soon. If you get a chance shoot me a PM.

I have not tried the Lucas Octane, but I have tried the fuel treatment and it seems to help (unless it is just in my head) but either way it helps ;)

bret a ewing 04-21-2008 04:29 PM

Thanks JB,

I should really update my personal file, sold the dang CCX in '04.